Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Talking UK transplant seeks allied fields, f.p., industrial, consultant career advice, IFE?

Hi.
    I was a UK firefighter from 1990 to 2000. since then I've been living in Florida. Now after being 'Mr Mom' for 10 years I need to find some work. My wife doesn't want me to go back to active firefighting. So I need to find something in an allied field. I've looked at Fire Inspector and Fire investigator, but I really need to do something before I can afford to take exams etc. I'm interested in the concept of consultancy but not sure how to go about it.

I was the equivalent of a Lieutenant in the UK for 4 years and passed all the promotion exams possible. I also have Institution of Fire Engineers Graduateship qualification and two papers of the Membership qualification though I'm not sure what standing the IFE has over here. Though my qualifications probably count for nothing hopefully experience might.

Any ideas/help would be greatly appreciated

Many thanks
    PH

Forum Member

For inspections suggest check third party companies

http://www.us.bureauveritas.com/wps/...bv_usNew/Local

http://www.rjainc.com/

http://www.5starrebels.com/fmg/careers.htm

Also call the fire sprinkler and fire alarm companies sometimes they need people just to do inspections
    Last edited by fire49; 04-22-2011 at 02:40 PM.

Forum Member

Ok, many thanks. That was very helpful.
    Don't the sprinkler/alarm companies require people to be qualified in order to work for them though?

Forum Member

Have to contac them
    Not always

Ojt !!!

Quote Originally Posted by fireinthesky64 View Post
    Ok, many thanks. That was very helpful.
    Don't the sprinkler/alarm companies require people to be qualified in order to work for them though?
    Depends on what kind of work you want to do....

Designing systems (layouts, hydraulic calcs, etc.) usually requires a degree in Fire Protection Engineering. Some jurisdictions will accept a NICET Level III certification. I am not sure what your IFE certification buys you here in the states, but the Fire Protection Engineer degree is usually 4 years of study at any of a number of major colleges here in the US.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Just a thought if your really passionate about the fire service and you want to be a Firefighter you should go for it. Are you really going to be happy being a sprinkler repairman? if you want to be a Firefighter go for it, its your life.

Forum Member

OK, I'll reply to all at once.

FWD -thanks for the qualification advice. I'll do some reading on certification.

EBH- I understand your sentiment about how mind numbingly boring checking sprinklers might be, I was a firefighter for 10 years at fairly active fire stations and though I really miss it, I have decided to abide by my wife's wishes not to go back to it.

I wouldn't mind working alongside, in Fire prevention or Fire Investigation but lacking various kinds of paperwork and finances necessary , I need to earn a crust before I can do something I really want to do.

I live in Orlando and have considered something fire related in the Movie industry but am not sure how to get into that area.

Quote Originally Posted by fireinthesky64 View Post
    I live in Orlando and have considered something fire related in the Movie industry but am not sure how to get into that area.
    Why dont you look into working in the Safety/Industrial Hygiene Department over at the Mouse House?
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

oh. I haven't heard of that. Thanks I'll have a look into that.

Forum Member

ya I agree Industrial Hygiene is a huge career field in the U.S. you should have no problems getting into this type of work if thats what your interested in.

Thread Information