Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Training Division ?

Has anyone here used TD or an online fire class? I am ready to sign up for one of the online academy for FF1 and 2. I am curious if anyone else has attended one?
    I know there are pros and cons to them but im only interested in feedback from anyone that has taken one of the courses.
    I have been hired by a local dept as an EMT ambulance driver and red shirt. I work full time and work at the firestation for one 24 hour shift every week and attend training when i can. I am set to retire from my career in about 11 months and want to have my FF 1 and 2 done in between now and then. My current job will not allow me or should i say the boss will not let me adjust my schedule to take one of the courses at the local college so i must do this on my own time and take the skills part during a vacation period.
    So if there is anyone out there that has info on this subject please respond, would love to talk about it.
    Take care and be safer.
    JD

Forum Member

Are you in Texas??

Training div is a great group to train with

It has been used by many people

Have not heard anything bad about them

Forum Member

no im in Arizona, i like what i see in the TD program other than the cost. but i guess we pay for convenience as well.

Forum Member

Yep

Good school

Hey Livin,

I went thru TD for my FF 1 and 2. All I can say is that it was a great experience. Excellent instructors, excellent atmosphere, nice quarters, just all around good people. I lived in Ohio at the time and flew to DFW for the 2 week boot camp. It was simply fantastic. Then, I got hired on a part time dept in Ohio within a month of graduating and then got an offer in Texas on a full time dept within 3 months.

They're well respected and you'll be successful if you put the necessary time in. Feel free to pm me if you have any questions!
    Pete

Forum Member

So, you do all your book work online correct? Do you have written exams during this time or do you do them at the boot camp? Also, you come out with a Texas certification with an IFSAC seal correct? Thanks..

Quote Originally Posted by 8truckie3 View Post
    So, you do all your book work online correct? Do you have written exams during this time or do you do them at the boot camp? Also, you come out with a Texas certification with an IFSAC seal correct? Thanks..
    First: Yes, you do all your book work and quizzes online. Then, when you go to boot camp, you do skills and classroom. The classroom portion consists of more tests (everyday) that verify that you weren't cheating on your online quizzes and prove that you at least read the material.

If they don't feel you know your stuff, they'll send you home and you attend another boot camp down the road.

Lastly, after the 2 weeks is up, you take the state exam which covers FF 1, 2, Hazmat Awareness, and Ops. And, since Tx is an IFSAC state, if you score high enough (90's in all 4 portions) you can get your IFSAC symbols also.

It's the best set up I've come across. I wouldn't be a full time FF without TD. It truly was the best money I've ever spent!
    Pete

Forum Member

Thanks for the info. They do a lot of hands on stuff during the 2 wk boot camp to prepare for the practical test?..

Forum Member

Oh yea how long does it take before you go to the boot camp?

Not to hijack the topic, but what about their EMT program?

Quote Originally Posted by 8truckie3 View Post
    Oh yea how long does it take before you go to the boot camp?
    That depends. If you buckle down and focus, you could probably go to an earlier bootcamp than you're assigned to. I think yhe average is like 4-6 months. Some took longer, some go sooner. Personally, I enrolled at the beginning of August 08 and attended bootcamp in mid-November 08.

So, it just depends on you, primarily.

Quote Originally Posted by CGITCH View Post
    Not to hijack the topic, but what about their EMT program?
    Not sure. But it's accredited and you sit for the NR once you're done. That's all I know.

Forum Member

I know someone that did emt with no ff or medical background and passed

Check thier pass rate on dshs.sta
    te.tx.us
    Last edited by fire49; 05-04-2011 at 02:46 PM.

Forum Member

12/09 to 11/10

Training Division.com 228 78 (178/228) 88 (200/228)

December 1, 2008 to November 30, 2009

Training Division.com 247 83 (204/247) 89 (219/247)

http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/emstraum...tryNumbers.pdf

Forum Member

Thanks for all the information. I got signed up and my book actually arrived today. I just finished up with EMT -B here in AZ. Im pretty excited as i have talked to alot of the FF here that took the local college ff1 & 2. TD sounds like its way above the college course.
    Cant wait to get knee deep. My "boot camp." is in August. Texas in August LOL I went to Basic training in August in Oklahoma, i remember the humidity sux.
    Again thanks for all the info and congrats on your position in Texas. and as always, "be safer."
    JD

Forum Member

Just an update. I have finished the FF 1 and 2 book and am in the middle of the hazmat series. The hazmat stuff is technical and takes alot of time to study. So far I am impressed with the training divisions concepts and feel i have made the right choice by going with their program instead of the local college.
    I leave aug 19th for the camp. If anyone needs to complete training for firefighting using one of their programs I can tell you they are easy to work with and I believe that once a person takes the classes they offer, that person will have a better chance at passing exams.
    Good luck to all, thanks for the advice and comments.
    BE safe!
    JD

Forum Member

i am thinking about enrolling in training division after i complete my EMT basic. any info you could give me would be greatly appreciated!

Forum Member

Good program great instructors

You have to have discipline since the majority of the class is self study

Thread Information