Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Forum Member

Definitely time to go to the board.

Talk to the other people who have been fired, if you can get support from other currently employed firefighters then that will help too.

Get your stories straight and present facts, not opinions. Explain that the chief's behavior is harassment and that he has threatened you and for no justifiable reason.

Be ready for anything the chief might try to use to justify his actions, be they true or not.

Good luck and please keep us informed.

One question I ahve - how were these other people 'fired' - in VFD's that I have been involved with, you could be dropped from the active rolls for not meeting certain criteria (number calls, drill, etc).....or has this Chief just told them they were out without any backing?

Also - if I had been at that shower - I would have told him in no uncertain terms to LEAVE.....if he wasn't an invited guest, he didn't belong there - and as for moving things around - that is totally beyond anything he should be doing. Creepy too.....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    He sounds like a nut job. How did he become chief?
    Very very small town. The fire board is made up of his relatives and good ole boy friends. Fire board members are also the mayor, police chief and school super.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pasobuff View Post
    One question I ahve - how were these other people 'fired' - in VFD's that I have been involved with, you could be dropped from the active rolls for not meeting certain criteria (number calls, drill, etc).....or has this Chief just told them they were out without any backing?.
    He takes their gear from their lockers (only he is allowed to go pov or have gear outside of the station) and changes the door combos. Then, they are sent registered letters that they have 7 days to return their radio or legal action will be taken against them for theft.

We have to meet 50% of all calls and 50% of all training. Last week, training was on Tues night, Wed night, Thursday night and Saturday all day. Thats a total of about 18 hours, and so 50% would be about 9 hours just for training. Often he also has all day Sunday training as well (such as this upcoming weekend). Leaves no time for personal life. Then, you just have to hope that 50% of the calls come while you are not working, at and appointment, church or store......

Failure to meet 50% is what got the others "fired". Most who stay, are divorced, as their spouses left them for putting the FD before family. 16 still on, 12 of the 16 are divorced, separated or having very serious marriage issues.

Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar

My mind swims with thoughts and questions on this. In no random order:
    • Does the chief have these people brainwashed? Why are the members willing to put up with a tyrant like this?
    • How many of the remaining members are related to or friends with the chief?
    • 18 hours of in-house training in a week?! How often is this nonsense going on?
    • Do the members get any say in the direction of the department during monthly meetings?
    I'd love to come out there and do an objective article about the department...
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firefighter 432 View Post
    Very very small town. The fire board is made up of his relatives and good ole boy friends. Fire board members are also the mayor, police chief and school super.
    You're screwed. Plain and simple. The only question left is, are you going down alone, or are you going to take him with you?

If the former, I don't blame you - small town politics are irritating at best. If the latter - take out an article in the local paper detailing the facts as they stand. Contact the individuals he fired and see if they'll stand with you. At this point, no amount of appeals to his buddies will make a difference - you need public opinion, and pressure, on your side. Just be aware that mud is flung both ways - you may have facts on your side, but it doesn't appear he has scruples on his. I wish you the best of luck - it's a pretty sh*tty position to be in.

Thread Information