Thread: help?

Forum Member

Default help?

OK so im in high school and im currently an explorer for my local fire department and EMS agency in NY and i want to start planning for college, anyways i would like to pursue Fire,ems,and police all together and i was wondering what would be the best way to go forward with everything, i know i will be taking my EMT while im still in high school but i eventually want to be a paramedic. so if anyone could help me out or give me suggestions of schools and which things to do first.
    Thanks
    Nick

Forum Member

Find out what certifications are needed to apply in your state and get them

Forum Member

well i know that but what im saying is what order should i go in?

Forum Member

I assume you plan on going to college in NY?....there are many coolleges with fire and/or police related degree programs. What I would do is start with the basics - your core courses (English, Math, etc)...as far as the 'specialty' classes you really need to pick one degree and pursue that.....do you want criminal justice, or fire science first? What is your end career goal?

Remember, as a volunteer firefighter, you can get a LOT of college credit classes very inexpensively at the NYS Fire Academy - BUT you need to check with whatever college you plan on going to to make sure the credits transfer - OR marticulate in the college associated with the Academy and work toward 2 degrees at once.....a lot of work, but can be done....

Thread Information