MembersZone Subscriber

Default FYI Poss Tornado in Bossier Parish

Saw this on Twitter tonight:
    @stormchaser4850
    Johnny Kelly
    DEVELOPING: POSSIBLE TORNADO KNOCKS OVER OIL RIG, INJURING 4 PEOPLE IN BOSSIER PARISH, LA; TREES BLOCK EMERGENCY VEHICLES (827 PM CDT)

Forum Member

At the fire station between runs.

Extremely nasty storms tonight with 50-70 MPH straight line winds. No reports of tornadoes in our area (or any neighboring district).

A trailer at a drilling site was knocked over in South Bossier, not a rig, with the straight line winds. Bossier EMS transported 3. South Bossier Fire still on scene.

We've had a couple of water rescues with the extremely heavy rain.

Just went through a 20 minute period with blinding rain and winds. Getting toned out for a couple of more blocked roads.

I'll fill you in when we get more of a handle of things.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Forum Member

I'm going to bed now and will sleep soundly knowing LaFE is on location and in command.
    DFW

"There's no such thing as a free lunch."

Forum Member

Rough night - About 18 runs in a 3-hour period.

A couple of weather-caused MVAs, a couple of alarm trips, a couple of water rescue's, several transformer/pole/wire fires and a couple of structural lightening structures, plus a few typical EMS calls thrown in at exactly the right time.

Volunteer base showed up and things went well.

And the brush fire problem is solved for at least the next few days.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    Volunteer base showed up and things went well.
    Just had to throw that dig in there, didn't you???

As if the Career guys couldn't handle things. And even if they did, I am sure that no one on here would not have thought that the Vollies would have shown up to the station during a huge storm with multiple runs....No, that would never have happened. I am glad that you stated your "Volunteer base showed up and things went well."

Wait....You said that on purpose! You are trolling!
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post

As if the Career guys couldn't handle things. And even if they did, I am sure that no one on here would not have thought that the Vollies would have shown up to the station during a huge storm with multiple runs....No, that would never have happened. I am glad that you stated your "Volunteer base showed up and things went well."

Our career guys are not there to "handle things" Our career guys are there primarily to perform administrative and maintainence related functions. They are also in place to guarantee an ALS response to an initial EMS call.

The manpower for the emergency mitigation side is handled by the volunteers side.

Last I knew that wasn't a dig. Our career guys have been members of the department long before they were hired, and they understand how our department works and what their role is, which is to support the volunteer side.

And with only 2 career folks on, it would be awfully tough for them to handle 2-3 calls at a time.

And yes, I was bragging on our system, not trolling.
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 04-27-2011 at 07:19 AM.

Forum Member

Our career guys are not there to "handle things" Our career guys are there primarily to perform administrative and maintainence related functions. They are also in place to guarantee an ALS response to an initial EMS call.

The manpower for the emergency mitigation side is handled by the volunteers side.

Last I knew that wasn't a dig. Our career guys have been members of the department long before they were hired, and they understand how our department works and what their role is, which is to support the volunteer side.

And with only 2 career folks on, it would be awfully tough for them to handle 2-3 calls at a time.

And yes, I was bragging on our system, not trolling.
    Wrong, Bobby.. you are trolling for another internet war of words. You must be a masochist, knowing that you will get pummeled left, right and six ways to Sunday.

‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

Rough night - About 18 runs in a 3-hour period.
    Sounds normal to me. Sounds like a slow Sunday evening.
    ‎"I was always taught..." Four words impacting fire service education in the most negative of ways. -Bill Carey

MembersZone Subscriber

Jebus, not again.

LA, Glad your department, as a whole, handled the situation and that nobody seems to have gotten hurt.

Let's leave it at that.
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tajm611 View Post
    Sounds normal to me. Sounds like a slow Sunday evening.
    Still wondering where "us" I since you seem not to want to say.

Given we do 5-6 runs per shift, 18 in 3 hours is a little busy for us.

Forum Member

The guy is having a crappy day and you still have to be an a@@. Is there no end to your attitude? Do you get your jollies just following him around and sniffing his butt crack?

No wonder traffic on the forums has been so slow lately. Any post at all will bring out your mindless and childish vitriol. Grow up.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firepundit View Post
    The guy is having a crappy day and you still have to be an a@@. Is there no end to your attitude? Do you get your jollies just following him around and sniffing his butt crack?

No wonder traffic on the forums has been so slow lately. Any post at all will bring out your mindless and childish vitriol. Grow up.
    LABob is a crapstirrer of epic proportions.

He could have just stated "we had a busy 3 hours with excellent response".

He purposely threw in the "V" word to start an arguement, just like he spouts off on other FD's operations while stating that "we know nothing of his FD's operations.

You're defending him.. birds of a feather flock together...
    Last edited by DeputyChiefGonzo; 04-27-2011 at 10:06 AM.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Back In Black

Glad it wasn't serious.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyChiefGonzo View Post
    LABob is a crapstirrer of epic proportions.

He could have just stated "we had a busy 3 hours with excellent response".

He purposely threw in the "V" word to start an arguement, just like he spouts off on other FD's operations while stating that "we know nothing of his FD's operations.

You're defending him.. birds of a feather flock together...
    I'm 50/50 on whether it is his altar-ego or if he is the sole person agreeing with him which manifest itself into "PEOPLE DO AGREE WITH ME! THEY JUST TELL ME IN PRIVATE!"
    ‎"I was always taught..." Four words impacting fire service education in the most negative of ways. -Bill Carey

Forum Member

I certainly commend him and his organization for handling a situation beyond that of a "normal" day. What I have a problem with is like Gonzo said- He purposely threw that "V" word in there to stir up the dust, and he g'damn well knows he did. He even went so far as to (once again) call his career staff a bunch of janitors.

I dont think there is one person who reads these forums whom would NOT determine that the Volunteers were there. Active, eager volunteer FF's are genetically programmed to migrate towards the firehouse when especially bad weather hits, and certainly when the pagers go off. He didn't need to say "The volunteer base showed up and things went well."

Oh, and once again, for those of you who think I pick on him- Yes I do. He is a disease, a cancer in the fire service. As long as he posts, I will counter-post in the hopes that no young guys take him seriously. Dont like it? Dont hit me with your purse, and I can't see you hit the "ignore" button from here, so my feelings wont get hurt. Doubtful they would even if I did see you hit the iggy button.

Have a nice day!

MembersZone Subscriber

It is good to see your department has it under control, and I hope that it stays that way.

That said,

As you are called out to a road closing, does that mean you get to change your department name to the road and bridge department?

Just saying...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LVFD301 View Post
    It is good to see your department has it under control, and I hope that it stays that way.

That said,

As you are called out to a road closing, does that mean you get to change your department name to the road and bridge department?

Just saying...
    They're embracing they're changing roll..... FEM RATS. Fire EMs Road And Tree Squad..
    Last edited by nmfire; 04-27-2011 at 12:18 PM.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Back In Black

You guys should just stop taking his bait.

I try, but am still not perfect at it... some of you swallow the hook.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

MembersZone Subscriber

And you took the bait, hook, line, and sinker.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire View Post
    They're embracing they're changing roll..... FEM RATS. Fire EMs Road And Tree Squad..
    And since they have been doing more tree removal than fire fighting they are looking into selling a engine and buying a Tree truck!
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BULL321 View Post
    ... buying a Tree truck!
    Sorry. Mine's not for sale....
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Forum Member

And since they have been doing more tree removal than fire fighting they are looking into selling a engine and buying a Tree truck!
    Nahh, they'd probably just buy a surplus 7 Ton and paint it orange and black and stencil Asplundh on the side of it.

Forum Member

After all the numbers show that we respond to more tree down on the roadway calls then fires now. This is due to our great fire prevention and PUB ED program. So as a result of this change in trend my department being the progressive department that it is, is going to sell one of our engines and replace it with a tree Cherry picker truck, and a chipper. This will increase the service to the community by giving us more resources to deploy for these responses. In these economic times we must strive to be progressive and abandon the traditions that you old urban fireman lcherish. They dont work anymore!! We are even considering sub-contracting the career personnel out to the private sector to off set fd operating cost. After all we are non-union so they can stop us. Then we will use our volunteers to respond to the real emergencies. The added benifit is that when the occasional need for an elevtated platform comes up we will us the cherry picker. After all 82.345689% of our fires are trailers. This will also keep our firefighters from using ground ladders. They are not part of our no certified training program for firefighters

You people need to stop killing firefighers, be a progressive department like us!!!!

LA pmed me his next post hahaha

Forum Member

Actually buying a tree truck may not be a bad idea given access issues we can have during tornado operations.
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 04-27-2011 at 04:21 PM.

Forum Member

Actually buying a tree truck may not be a bad idea.
    Yeah I am sure your career staff would just jump at the chance to get to do something other than clean the toilets for the volunteers.

Thread Information