Thread: Fire Resistance

Forum Member

Default Fire Resistance

I stumbled across this video, and I was hoping that I could have a group of fire experts tell me how it was done.

I mean what kind of equipment would or could be concealed in this guy's robe, that would allow him to resist such heat?

Better yet, what kind of existing equipment would YOU wear to try this, AND how effective would it be?

This video is the most impressive.

So how does he do it???
    Last edited by Eclipse Driver; 04-27-2011 at 09:23 PM.

Forum Member

Kinda of looks like he has some gel on his body

Clothes look bulky

Looks like he is laying on non burning hay or smothered hay

When the mostache catches on fire he dies react

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fire49 View Post
    Kinda of looks like he has some gel on his body

Clothes look bulky

Looks like he is laying on non burning hay or smothered hay

When the mostache catches on fire he dies react
    The "gel", is butter he soaks the food offerings in before placing them in the fire.

The hay, or sanctified herbs aren't added until the end of the ritual. Youtube has 5 videos available.

So, would a normal firemen's coat resist the heat, and for how long could it do so?

Forum Member

Hopefully a little better then the robes

But he looks more like he is smothering the fire he lays on

And kind of in proximity to the flames which more then likely helps versus direct contact

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fire49 View Post
    Hopefully a little better then the robes

But he looks more like he is smothering the fire he lays on

And kind of in proximity to the flames which more then likely helps versus direct contact
    He seems to be working mostly his left side, but at several points he's directly over the flames.

Would YOU try this, with full fire gear, and would you suffer any burns?

Forum Member

How many of you have developed or know someone who has asbestos fingers- the ability to handle or hold hot items without being burned?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Eclipse Driver View Post
    The "gel", is butter he soaks the food offerings in before placing them in the fire.

The hay, or sanctified herbs aren't added until the end of the ritual. Youtube has 5 videos available.

So, would a normal firemen's coat resist the heat, and for how long could it do so?
    Yes, a normal turnout coat could resist that and more if you placed it under the same conditions that guy did, like rolling around and being aware of where the hot spots are.
    What you need to consider is the fact the air temperature around him is normal or slightly elevated. The air temp in a confined room full of fire is superheated, there are no cool spots to roll to.

While it was impressive to see, it is obvious that the man has a tolerance for heat that can be reached when the material gets hot enough. In a turnout coat, by the time you notice that you're too hot, it's usually too late, the outer layer of the garment has already been compromised.

I don't think there is anything we can learn from this man as we are not able to give 100% concentration to ourselves during an incident. We would be useless in a fire if we did.
    IAFF

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by snowball View Post
    Yes, a normal turnout coat could resist that and more if you placed it under the same conditions that guy did, like rolling around and being aware of where the hot spots are.
    What you need to consider is the fact the air temperature around him is normal or slightly elevated. The air temp in a confined room full of fire is superheated, there are no cool spots to roll to.

While it was impressive to see, it is obvious that the man has a tolerance for heat that can be reached when the material gets hot enough. In a turnout coat, by the time you notice that you're too hot, it's usually too late, the outer layer of the garment has already been compromised.

I don't think there is anything we can learn from this man as we are not able to give 100% concentration to ourselves during an incident. We would be useless in a fire if we did.
    I was just hoping to hear what some experienced fire resisters had to say about what heat this guy was actually facing.

He has been doing the ritual for years, and obviously has been trained to resist some heat, not unlike how I can handle above average kitchen heats.

Fire eaters too, I am sure are able to resist more mouth heat than I could.

I was NOT in any way suggesting that firefighters begin doing this ritual. I just wanted to know what kind of equipment would or could resist this kind of heat AND be hidden within a robe.
    Last edited by Eclipse Driver; 05-02-2011 at 08:18 PM.

Forum Member

illusion illusion

Forum Member

Forum Member

Except the fire yogi had BARE arms, no respirator, and no one waiting in the wings with a fire extinguisher.

Thread Information