Forum Member

Exclamation Pressure pedal for airhorn?

Maybe someone can help me out here. I used to be an explorer for a dept in Florida and the trucks had a pressure pedal on the floor they used to activate the airhorn. I'm trying to find the exact same one to hook up to the train horn on my truck but I don't know the manufacturer. I can tell you it's black and round. About 2-3" in diameter. It's about 1/4-1/2" thick. It had a wire coming out of the side that routed into the floor. Any help here would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance

Forum Member
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Thank you! I'm 99% sure that's the one but either way it works

Forum Member

Why on earth would you want one of those @#$% things? All they're good for is accidentally stepping on them and scaring the living $#!+ out of yourself or whoever happens to be standing near by.

Or:
    Officer: Why are you on the air horn?
    Driver: I'm not, you are!
    Officer: Oh.

Or:
    Driver: Why are you on the air horn?
    Officer: I'm not, you are!
    Driver: Oh.

Seems like every time I climb in our out of the rig I hit that stupid thing, but can I find it when I'm actually driving? Heck no.

Another good one is sirens activated by the steering wheel horn. Filling out an EMS report with the clipboard over the steering wheel....

Andy

Let's talk fire trucks!

Quote Originally Posted by Pelican631 View Post
    Why on earth would you want one of those @#$% things?
    Wire 'em to the emergency master switch and you cut out the accidental activation.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

or just be in control of your body

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pelican631 View Post
    Why on earth would you want one of those @#$% things? All they're good for is accidentally stepping on them and scaring the living $#!+ out of yourself or whoever happens to be standing near by.

Or:
    Officer: Why are you on the air horn?
    Driver: I'm not, you are!
    Officer: Oh.

Or:
    Driver: Why are you on the air horn?
    Officer: I'm not, you are!
    Driver: Oh.

Seems like every time I climb in our out of the rig I hit that stupid thing, but can I find it when I'm actually driving? Heck no.

Another good one is sirens activated by the steering wheel horn. Filling out an EMS report with the clipboard over the steering wheel....

Andy
    If you're the driver, it should be tied into the steering wheel switch, switched from another switch, as air horn or electric horn. Drivers should NEVER have a foot switch. Simple as that.

As for the EMS activated sirens on the steering wheel, again, another switch to turn on or off. As well, should be tied into the Master switch for emergency lights.

Not rocket science here boys.

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FIREMECH1 View Post
    If you're the driver, it should be tied into the steering wheel switch, switched from another switch, as air horn or electric horn. Drivers should NEVER have a foot switch. Simple as that.

As for the EMS activated sirens on the steering wheel, again, another switch to turn on or off. As well, should be tied into the Master switch for emergency lights.

Not rocket science here boys.

FM1
    I would rather have the driver use a foot switch so that he would not have to take his hand off the wheel to activate the horn.
    I can't believe they actually pay me to do this!!!

One friend noted yesterday that a fire officer only carries a flashlight, sometimes prompting grumbling from firefighters who have to lug tools and hoses.
    "The old saying is you never know how heavy that flashlight can become," the friend said.
    -from a tragic story posted on firefighterclosecalls.com

Let's talk fire trucks!

Quote Originally Posted by IronsMan53 View Post
    I would rather have the driver use a foot switch so that he would not have to take his hand off the wheel to activate the horn.
    As a company officer, I completely agree. Having a drivers foot switch allows him to activate the air horns and/or mechanical siren while I look through the map book, change the radio channel, and the like. Furthermore, he can keep both hands on the wheel.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    As a company officer, I completely agree. Having a drivers foot switch allows him to activate the air horns and/or mechanical siren while I look through the map book, change the radio channel, and the like. Furthermore, he can keep both hands on the wheel.
    No problem here, or with our drivers having a foot switch for the siren. This part I do agree with. With that said, 90% of our drivers like the air horn switch on the steering wheel. It is more natural to hit it for the "horn", then do a foot search for another switch.

FM1

"Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

MembersZone Subscriber

I am thinking the OP is talking about hooking this up in their POV. I could be wrong though.

Forum Member

No problem here, or with our drivers having a foot switch for the siren. This part I do agree with. With that said, 90% of our drivers like the air horn switch on the steering wheel. It is more natural to hit it for the "horn", then do a foot search for another switch.
    FM1
    I know it's a safety thing, but man, I loved the cord hanging from the ceiling.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-RFB-KTF

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Trkco1 View Post
    I know it's a safety thing, but man, I loved the cord hanging from the ceiling.
    A fricking Men!
    FTM - BTB - KTF

Forum Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by wischief View Post
    I am thinking the OP is talking about hooking this up in their POV. I could be wrong though.
    Thats the same impression I got.
    probably a 1990 S-10 with a $3000.00 light bar bolted through the roof.

Forum Member

FM1
    Is that the only reason against the foot switch? It just sounded from your other post that you were very against it.

After a few weeks of driving, its pretty natural to remember where to press my foot for horn and for siren.

Forum Member

On our newest engine, we got rid of the driver foot button and put a switch for the horn ring, switchable for DOT horn, air horn, Q2.

Officer side has 2 foot buttons, but not on the floor. Both are dash mounted. 1 for Q2, 1 for airhorn.

Having both the floor mounted in older engine and "dash" mounted in new...we will probably never go back to floor mounted.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Two of our engines have foot switches for high/low beam lights. The only air horn control is on the siren box mounted in the center of the dash. Of course with 3 pedals and a stick shift, the driver usually has enough to keep him busy.

Our 3rd engine has no foot switches, air horn is wired into the horn button on the steering wheel. Officer has a foot switch.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nameless View Post
    Is that the only reason against the foot switch? It just sounded from your other post that you were very against it.

After a few weeks of driving, its pretty natural to remember where to press my foot for horn and for siren.
    Yep, I am/was pretty strong against a foot operated air horn. When the siren was brought up, I had to make it a point that I was fine with that. I'm good with one foot switch, as well as the drivers, and that is for the siren, when the officer is too busy to run it.

Another reason for the change to horn ring operated air horns, is for the multitude of sub drivers. They usually have very few street miles on them. Most are used to the older rigs with both floor switches. Then get moved to a newer rig, and have to re-familiarize themselves with all the switches and operations of the rig. Once they get used to a standard set-up, then they are fine.

FM1

Forum Member

My impression of the original post is not of a whacker, but of someone who added a train horn to their car ( or a rig) and was looking for the same kind of switch for it he remembered seeing in his explorer days.

I know these (train horns)are quite popular with truck drivers who own their own rigs. And probably with the car mod guys as well. Both for show purposes, and as a warning device for motorists who hang out in your blind spot on the pass side, and ignore your right hand turn signals.

Not sure I agree with that usage, but boy, would it be nice sometimes...

As for foot pedals, I agree with the accidental use. It's always fun when the guys you scare the crap out of accidentally are the Chief and the Asst Chief...

I'd prefer a dash mounted switch.

I, too used to hit the Q unintentionally while filling out truck inspection reports, or filling out the truck log after the call. Turning off the battery switch first solved that problem.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nozzle nut 22 View Post
    I, too used to hit the Q unintentionally while filling out truck inspection reports, or filling out the truck log after the call. Turning off the battery switch first solved that problem.
    Be in my shoes when you have to have the power on to diagnose a circuit breaker or relay issue in the power distribution box on the officers side, behind a foot panel. Almost never fails, I accidentally hit the air horn/siren switch, and scare the bejessus out of myself. Not to mention, irritating the FF's.

Man, I hate when I do that.

FM1

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

Be in my shoes when you have to have the power on to diagnose a circuit breaker or relay issue in the power distribution box on the officers side, behind a foot panel. Almost never fails, I accidentally hit the air horn/siren switch, and scare the bejessus out of myself. Not to mention, irritating the FF's.

Man, I hate when I do that.

FM1

It's all about recovery. When I've done that, and we all have, I yell out "the Siren circuit is working, check that off the list." I hope I don't look quite as stupid. Probably not fooling anyone.

Thread Information