Forum Member

Default Self-Rescue Systems

What type of system are you using? What are the Pro's and Con's? This is for personal knowledge, so be blunt.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-RFB-KTF

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Trkco1 View Post
    What type of system are you using? What are the Pro's and Con's? This is for personal knowledge, so be blunt.
    The best self rescue system is Situational awareness.
    Courage, Being Scared to Death and Saddling Up anyways.

MembersZone Subscriber

rope and my irons.
    a competent truck company
    the correct use of ladders
    knowledge of building construction and fire behavior.

not in that order.
    ‎"I was always taught..." Four words impacting fire service education in the most negative of ways. -Bill Carey

Forum Member

Let's put an end to the BS, Legit question. I'm looking for cross room deployment, hang-ups at the sill, repacking problems. What are your experiences? No crap please.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-RFB-KTF

Forum Member

Let's put an end to the BS, Legit question. I'm looking for cross room deployment, hang-ups at the sill, repacking problems. What are your experiences? No crap please.
    50 ft of bailout rope in my right bottom turn out pocket, a beaner, and what ever tool I have that day. Fu@k the fifty dollar hooks, fancy decent control devices, bags, and all of the other crap.

Look through the forums, this has been beat to death..

MembersZone Subscriber

You're looking for a pre-packaged kit or just an individual system?

Honestly, mine is my rope and my irons with a self-made harness and carabiner integrated within the lining of my bunker pants, good enough to lower me from a 2-3 story or if larger, good enough to lower myself to a manageable/survivable fall.

If you need information on pre-packaged kit I suggest roco rescue's get up. If you need to know more on mine just let me know, I'd be glad to help. It has only been really used in an emergency setting three times but performed flawlessly.
    ‎"I was always taught..." Four words impacting fire service education in the most negative of ways. -Bill Carey

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tajm611 View Post
    You're looking for a pre-packaged kit or just an individual system?

Honestly, mine is my rope and my irons with a self-made harness and carabiner integrated within the lining of my bunker pants, good enough to lower me from a 2-3 story or if larger, good enough to lower myself to a manageable/survivable fall.

If you need information on pre-packaged kit I suggest roco rescue's get up. If you need to know more on mine just let me know, I'd be glad to help. It has only been really used in an emergency setting three times but performed flawlessly.
    Dude, have done the same thing for years, rope, beaner, halligan, I get it. Department is now implementing new policy with a pre-packaged system. Pro's and Con's only. And I have used the search in this tired old site, a little dated. If you can't contibute, don't post.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-RFB-KTF

Forum Member

Dude, have done the same thing for years, rope, beaner, halligan, I get it. Department is now implementing new policy with a pre-packaged system. Pro's and Con's only. And I have used the search in this tired old site, a little dated. If you can't contibute, don't post.
    Wow...Im pretty sure most these guys are trying to help bub...if you cant take the good with the bad, id lay off these forums...with that being said...

Two of the guys on my crew use an EVAC bail-out bag. Two beaners, one decent device and 50 ft of 4k rated line. Ive seen it work well in a couple of training situations. Id say the only drawback is the size. I dont like hanging a bunch of stuff off of me or filling my pockets with too much crap.

MembersZone Subscriber

Really? You're going to be a dick head because :

1: How am I suppose to know what you already have?
    2: I figured if you were capable of using google you would have already known about my set up and I would have omitted it in my answer.
    3: You asked me what I am using, my answer was exactly that, what I use. It's not my problem if you want me to pretend to have the exact set up you'd like info on.

If you can't understand how to legitimately search, don't ask a question until you do.

Forum Member

I ensure I only do interior attack with this guy. If things go south, he's very handy to have around.

MembersZone Subscriber

SERIOUS SPECIFIC ANSWERS TO THE EXTREMELY BROAD QUESTION ONLY IF YOU DON'T HAVE ANYTHING TO CONTRIBUTE THEN YOU SHOULD JUST DIE BECAUSE YOU ARE SCUM UUUUGHHHHH

the internet is serious business.

Forum Member

Has your dept thought of using i wanna say its globe that we had. It has the bailout kit built into the gear. It works great and easy to use to drag a brother out.

Forum Member

The best thing I have seen/ used is the Petzl EXO. It is fast and reliable. You are able to connect to the sill or move rapidly horizontally if need. 5000 lb tensil strength on the rope (Technora) If you are familiar with the GriGri or Petzl ID same principle. I really did not find any con's other than the price to take the course to use the EXO (Petzl Policy)

Forum Member

50ft of Sterling RIT 500 in my left pants pocket with an Omega extra large 1/2 inch steel modified D carabiner on one end.

Anchor point with this system can be a stud/door frame (punch through a wall), fixed heavy object (cast iron radiator) or tool in a window frame.

No belay device, wrap the rope behind you, hold on to it in front and roll out the window.

I've trained with this setup a number of times and it works very well.

Forum Member

Another pretty decent looking option I came across was from Firerescueoutfitters.....

simular to the Petzl setup......quick, small enough and effective......think it;s called the G-Zero...it caught my attention anyway......

I'm currently looking at putting them in to my Department for all the FF's......

Good luck with your search, IT IS very time consuming...there's lots of options, brands, ideas and price ranges.......

I found my best luck was simply to google FF escape/Bail out systems....then sat there and went through every manufacturers and dealers websites......I've delt with Firerescueoutfitters for RIT stuff in the past.....good guy.......I thought maybe I;d try this route too........

Cheers,

and Stay Safe......

Forum Member

RIT systems has some great prepackaged systems that are tested as a system and certified.

www.allhandsfire.com has the largest selection of bail out kits i have seen. They would be a great source to compare the models and brands as well as prices.

My favorite system is the PRESS system that uses 3/8 tubular Kevlar webbing. It is the lowest profile kit out there because of how flat the webbing is. But don't let how thin the webbing is scare you. It is good for 5,500 lbs. That is stronger then most 7.5 mm ropes that come with most systems.

http://www.allhandsfire.com/RIT-PRES...-ESCAPE-SYSTEM

I am planning on getting one. For now, i use a Sterling F4 descender with 50' of 7.5mm Technora with a sewn on Crosby hook. But i am replacing that hook with the new CMC hook which is lighter and has the slot to make tie offs simple:

http://www.allhandsfire.com/CMC-RESC...PE-ANCHOR-HOOK

Building your own system can save you a few bucks. Just make sure that whatever rope you use is compatible with the descender you choose. And of course, train with the system you build so you know how to use it and so you know what it will do. Personally, i would suggest buying a pre packaged system. The cost is not that much more but at least you know what you are getting will work since it will be certified as a package. It will come pre rigged and typically the hook will be stitched on which is a plus since their will be no bulky knot and no chance of a knot slipping. Another thing, buy a self braking descender. The figure 8 style units are cheap and small, so they are popular. But the downside is you MUST maintain control of the free end of the rope at all times or you will freefall. Training in a controlled enviornment may make that seem like no big deal. But it may not be so easy in a real life or death situation. It's cheap insurance.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by WD6956 View Post
    RIT systems has some great prepackaged systems that are tested as a system and certified.

www.allhandsfire.com has the largest selection of bail out kits i have seen. They would be a great source to compare the models and brands as well as prices.

My favorite system is the PRESS system that uses 3/8 tubular Kevlar webbing. It is the lowest profile kit out there because of how flat the webbing is. But don't let how thin the webbing is scare you. It is good for 5,500 lbs. That is stronger then most 7.5 mm ropes that come with most systems.

http://www.allhandsfire.com/RIT-PRES...-ESCAPE-SYSTEM
    We bought these from them for everyone in department. Use them with our Gemtor harnesses. We got them in the kit that fits into your bunker pants pocket.

Pros - small, simple, has worked everytime we wanted them to.
    Cons - decent chunk of change.

Repacking them is pretty simple.

All Hands offers good training with them as well.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

[QUOTE=Trkco1;1268381]Dude, have done the same thing for years, rope, beaner, halligan, I get it. Department is now implementing new policy with a pre-packaged system. Pro's and Con's only. And I have used the search in this tired old site, a little dated. If you can't contibute, don't post.[/

Then get off the forums and go demo some kits you jackass, ask a broad question you get broad answers. In the time it took for you to reply with your far superior knowledge you could have formulated a opinion of your own.

Forum Member

Bushwacker
    This is why I love this place. Everyone's an expert.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-RFB-KTF

Forum Member

This is why I love this place. Everyone's an expert.
    I thought the same about you, hell why did you even ask, it appears you already know everything.

Forum Member

Wacker
    The next time I have a question about how to operate a drip tourch..I'll ask you.
    Last edited by Trkco1; 05-01-2011 at 12:10 AM.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-RFB-KTF

Forum Member

Wacker
    The next time I have a question about how to operate a drip tourch..I'll ask you.
    Don't bother, you wouldn't understand it anyways.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhacker View Post
    Don't bother, you wouldn't understand it anyways.
    Absolutely right.......So don't chime in what you don't know
    FTM-PTB-EGH-RFB-KTF

Forum Member

Absolutely right.......So don't chime in what you don't know
    Says the person that started this thread, go find your dept required bailout kit. We will help if your serious, but dont try to be a Firefighter leave that to the experienced.

Forum Member

Bro, OTJ 18 years, not a vendor, not a troll. I'm looking for info with pro's and con's about bailout systems ie: Petzl, RIT, Sterling, ect. Department is looking to the change policy. Some people on this forum are morons, and you're not helping. If I offended you I apoligize. This is a legimate questeion. Problems with the sill, cross room deployment, repacking the bag are the questions. I'm looking for experiences training or real life.
    Last edited by Trkco1; 05-01-2011 at 01:05 AM.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-RFB-KTF

Thread Information