Forum Member

Default Best manifold location for primer port

We just received a new tanker with a Hale RSD pto pump. The pump manifold was built by the apparatus manufacturer that shall remain nameless. The truck came with a trident air primer that is able to bring the pump down to -26hg no problem also no leaks in the system it will hold vacuum for hours.

The problems begin when we draft from the 6" steamer on the drivers side (pump panel side) water would come to the steamer inlet then the priming would stop (you could hear water coming out of primer) and pump would never prime. But when we used the steamer on passenger side it would prime no problem. (This is how we tested the truck before delivery ) So I did some recon work and found that the air primer suction port is 3 inches inside the drivers 6"steamer fitting!! and no where close to the pump or the highpoint of the inlet manifold. The inlet is a rams horn style 6" from each side.

So obviously it will be fixed under warranty ASAP but I would like a consensus on what is the best location for the port. I am thinking it should be in the highest manifold location on the pressure side of the pump, so that it will draw all the air and water through the pump and out of the system. Our waterous midship on our other truck has ports on top of the pump casing. Thoughts? Can a trident air primer be on the pressure side?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Altonjb View Post
    We just received a new tanker with a Hale RSD pto pump. The pump manifold was built by the apparatus manufacturer that shall remain nameless. The truck came with a trident air primer that is able to bring the pump down to -26hg no problem also no leaks in the system it will hold vacuum for hours.

The problems begin when we draft from the 6" steamer on the drivers side (pump panel side) water would come to the steamer inlet then the priming would stop (you could hear water coming out of primer) and pump would never prime. But when we used the steamer on passenger side it would prime no problem. (This is how we tested the truck before delivery ) So I did some recon work and found that the air primer suction port is 3 inches inside the drivers 6"steamer fitting!! and no where close to the pump or the highpoint of the inlet manifold. The inlet is a rams horn style 6" from each side.

So obviously it will be fixed under warranty ASAP but I would like a consensus on what is the best location for the port. I am thinking it should be in the highest manifold location on the pressure side of the pump, so that it will draw all the air and water through the pump and out of the system. Our waterous midship on our other truck has ports on top of the pump casing. Thoughts? Can a trident air primer be on the pressure side?
    Generally speaking, if the pump is turning while it is being primed, the most desirable place is at the eye of the impeller. If the pump is not turning, then it should be at the top. Call Rich Teske at Trident, he's a good guy and happy to help out. 215 293 0700, or e-mail him. He can advise you. Actually, any of the people there are helpful. Look on their web site, www.tridentdirect.com. for their e-mail addresses.

Thread Information