Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default What type of degree ?

I'm completely lost..... I'm currently in the Air Force as a fire fighter. I plan on serving 20 years. I'm looking for a little advice on what degree will better prepare me for a emergency management or fire related civilian career. I've been researching fire science, fire administration, fire and safety engineering, and public administration online programs. I want to pursue a emergency related field when I retire, but i'm also interested in landing a job thats exciting and rewarding. If any one could give some feedback this would be well appreciated.

Brandon

You seem to be on the right track with any of those options if your looking to get a job within the fire service. If for any reason you may want to lean towards a non-fire service field once you retire from the AF, Id choose a degree in public admin or management in order to make yourself more admirable.

How old are you if you dont mind my asking?

Forum Member

You might want to consider emergency management. It involves disaster preparedness running the Emergency Operations Center (EOC) for the City or County government....
    Paul Lepore
    Division Chief
    Aspiringfirefighters.com
    AspiringFireOfficers.com

Forum Member

Wolverine,

I'm 25 years old so i'll hopefully be retired by 38. Thanks for the feedback. Public administration and management are both interesting to fall back on as well. I have a total of 13 1/2 to complete. What do you think about Arson investigation? It's extremely interesting, how would somebody go about receiving that kind of education? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 2004AFFIREDAWG View Post
    Wolverine,

I'm 25 years old so i'll hopefully be retired by 38. Thanks for the feedback. Public administration and management are both interesting to fall back on as well. I have a total of 13 1/2 to complete. What do you think about Arson investigation? It's extremely interesting, how would somebody go about receiving that kind of education? Thanks
    I think you need to determine what role within the fire service you would like to have once you retire from the AF. At 38 you will definately be on the older end of the potential canindates trying to get hired. However, more and more departments seem to be hiring mature canindates with life and career experience. With your experience, eat right and stay in shape and it shouldnt take you long to get picked up somewhere.

Departments hiring Captains/Chief positions from the outside may even be an option for you, depending on you level of education.

Forum Member

fire protection engineer degree

or

emergency management is good, but seems to be not in that much demand as it was a few years ago

but here is a online one

http://www.wtamu.edu/academics/emerg...n-program.aspx

suggest get into prevention, consulting is a nice area to get into.

Thread Information