Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default EMS and Firefighting...

So, I've been volunteering for a little while, and I've discovered that I really like EMS calls, and don't really care that much for fire/rescue calls or training. Fighting fires in training seems more work than fun to me, and I really feel good after helping someone on an EMS call.

My question is, should I be looking more towards the health care industry, or keep testing and just try to ride on the ambulance a lot? I just have some doubts about FF as a career, and it's making it hard to be motivated to study. But at the same time if I quit pursuing FF as a career I feel like I would have a hard time explaining that to people... not sure they'd understand all that well. :-\

Either way I will keep my volunteer FF position. I love working with those guys.

Not looking for a real "answer", just maybe some advice or something to think about...

Forum Member

registered nurse = helping people = lots of money

and if you are paramedic already there are bridge programs

or there are one year programs if you have the basics needed to get in

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fire49 View Post
    registered nurse = helping people = lots of money

and if you are paramedic already there are bridge programs

or there are one year programs if you have the basics needed to get in
    Thanks for your input. Anybody else?

MembersZone Subscriber johnsonizzle's Avatar

I too started down the paramedic path just so I could get on a Fire Department. I still have aspirations to get on as a FF, but I absolutely love the EMS side. It has been a blast so far. I would suggest (and this is coming from someone with very little fire experience), that you continue with the Fire service, but look solely for a combo department. Most of the departments around here are 80% EMS anyways so you'll still get more than your fair share of EMS experience. And then at the same time continue your medical training in the event that you ultimately decide the Fire service isn't for you. Then you'll have a back up plan. Whatever you do though, make your job your first priority. If you get a fire job - study it and excel at it. There's no point in continuing pursuit of a fire career if you aren't going to give it 110% if/when you land the job.
    Hug a firefighter and feel warm all over

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by johnsonizzle View Post
    I too started down the paramedic path just so I could get on a Fire Department. I still have aspirations to get on as a FF, but I absolutely love the EMS side. It has been a blast so far. I would suggest (and this is coming from someone with very little fire experience), that you continue with the Fire service, but look solely for a combo department.
    Most of the departments around here are combo depts too, and I've heard they run anywhere from 75 - 90 % medical calls.

I talked it over with my wife, and she encouraged me to keep trying to get on with a local FD. After a few years of running calls, if I still feel like something isn't right, I'll then pursue a career in nursing or something similar.

I will give it 100%. I will do the absolute best job I can in the place that I'm at.

Forum Member

If you don't want to be a firefighter then don't do it. I respect the fact that you are openly talking about this because fire departments are full of people who just want to be medics and went to fire school just so they can ride the Rescue instead of working on a private ambo and doing non emergency transports.
    If your going to cry about doing the job you signed up for do us all a favor and quit, there are plenty of dedicated people standing in line for the best job in the world.

Firefighter/Paramedic

Forum Member

We all have different internal drives. I really like fighting fire, but the reality is they don't happen that frequently. We do spend quite a bit of time training (and cleaning up) before and after a fire. As a firefighter you will have a great deal of down time. It is expected that you will take this time to make sure you are proficient with all of your equipment and skills. We need to know that you are able to complete the task or operate the piece of equipment at 0200. This can be difficult for some.

I also am intrigued by medical calls. I certified as a paramedic in 1986 and although I have not started an IV in 15 years, I still maintain my license. I worked too hard to get it and I really like the job.

There are many places throughout the country that do not require you to be a firefighter paramedic. I would steer you toward a single role paramedic.

I agree with the above poster who advises against becoming a firefighter if this is not your passion.

Good luck with your decision.
    Paul Lepore
    Division Chief
    Aspiringfirefighters.com
    AspiringFireOfficers.com

Thread Information