Forum Member

AK... I went back and re-read your post again. And I believe what you are saying is that as long as you don't come back to the USA on your time off, you are tax exempt. So, acording to you, as long as you stay out of the country for 330 days, weather you are working or not, you are tax exempt. Is that correct? That is, as long as the IRS doesn't find out.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by 50 View Post
    AK... I went back and re-read your post again. And I believe what you are saying is that as long as you don't come back to the USA on your time off, you are tax exempt. So, acording to you, as long as you stay out of the country for 330 days, weather you are working or not, you are tax exempt. Is that correct? That is, as long as the IRS doesn't find out.
    I have written on this before in previous threads, a couple years ago by now for sure.

**Note, I did NOT advocate the guy risking it and not being audited, I merely played off his suggestion.

After reading this, ALWAYS consult IRS.gov and a certified CPA for all your tax needs and questions.

The rule is if you are out of the USA for 330 days in a 12 month period your first 91,400 is tax exempt. Anything over that is taxed and it is taxed at that higher bracket (thank George Bush and his Heart Act).

Example:

Old way
    Salary 100K 91K tax exempt 9K paid at tax bracket as if this is all you earned

New Way
    Salary 100K 91K tax exempt 9K paid at tax bracket of 100K

So yes, if you went to ATCO and stayed one year and did not go to the USA on your holidays, you will qualify for the tax exemption.

If others stated they did not receive a tax credit, then they did not file properly or they exceeded their days in the USA.

All your questions can be answered by the IRS who actually are very easy to get hold of via email or phone (have done this many times) or contact a certified CPA. Again I stress certified CPA...do not go to one of those tax places that employ minimum wage workers for 4 months every year who follow computer prompts. It is well worth spending the 200-400 dollars to have a CPA do your taxes properly.

Forum Member

Simple question: Do you HAVE to leave base during your time off?

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm no expert on the tax issue either but as I understand it as long as you're out of the US for 330 days you don't pay on the first 80k. That 80k number comes from what I was told when being processed with WSI. Now I'm not sure if being on vacation or a being in another country on a work visa both count towards that 330 days. The IRS may only count the days you're on a work visa but again not to sure. Kenon don't know if you can stay on the base or not. I think part of the work visa states you can only be in their country for so long before you hav to leave then come back...also I don't know if you sent one but I haven't gotten that message yet.

Forum Member

Vandall, when I click on your name, there's no option to PM you. Maybe you don't have it set up in your profile to do that.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by VandalFF View Post
    I'm no expert on the tax issue either but as I understand it as long as you're out of the US for 330 days you don't pay on the first 80k. That 80k number comes from what I was told when being processed with WSI. Now I'm not sure if being on vacation or a being in another country on a work visa both count towards that 330 days. The IRS may only count the days you're on a work visa but again not to sure. Kenon don't know if you can stay on the base or not. I think part of the work visa states you can only be in their country for so long before you hav to leave then come back...also I don't know if you sent one but I haven't gotten that message yet.
    Once again, please read...there is NO work Visa for Afghanistan. If you travel off bases, yes you should have a visit Visa but there is no time stipulation on how long you can or can not be in country.

No you can not stay on base when it is your scheduled holiday time...why the hell would you want to???

And 80K is the old tax deduction, a couple years ago it was increased to 91,400 as I wrote.

Your days in the USA are calculated by looking at your passport. This will be one of the few ways to prove you were or were not out of the USA for the 330 days.

Forum Member

AK, no disprespect to your knowledge and experience, but I've just spoken with someone who was with WSI and is now with ITT. He is very confident that you don't have to leave base if you don't want to. He once went more than 8 months without R&R and insists he knows what he's talking about. No offense to you, you seem very knowledgeable on the subject overall.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by kennon7 View Post
    AK, no disprespect to your knowledge and experience, but I've just spoken with someone who was with WSI and is now with ITT. He is very confident that you don't have to leave base if you don't want to. He once went more than 8 months without R&R and insists he knows what he's talking about. No offense to you, you seem very knowledgeable on the subject overall.
    The question was do you have to leave the base during your off time...this was interpreted as "I am on leave but not leaving the base", hence me asking why the hell would you want to?

The situation you described is simply deferring your RnR or not taking it at all...entirely different scenario.

Also that is dependent on the company and their rules. ATCO is pretty consistent in everyone taking their time off and they should be. Everyone needs downtime and spending 6, 7 or 8 months in theater with no leave is detrimental to overall department safety and the employee's mental health or coworker/supervisor relationships.

MembersZone Subscriber

AK do you work for ATCO?

MembersZone Subscriber

AK do you work for ATCO?
    No I do not.

MembersZone Subscriber

Got it you just sound like you've had some experience with them before. Are you working or have worked overseas?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by AKflightmedic View Post
    Also that is dependent on the company and their rules.
    Agreed, your R&R is Dependant on what company you work for. Call the HR department and find out what the rules are.

Get a qualified CPA. I used pallazo while I was overseas... http://palazzocpa.com/

Everything flighmedic has said is spot on, but 2010 is 91,500.

Check out this FAQ page on taxes for overseas work. http://palazzocpa.com/faqs/

MembersZone Subscriber

Got it you just sound like you've had some experience with them before. Are you working or have worked overseas?
    I am fast approaching my 5th anniversary of being in Afghanistan, specifically Kandahar. Think I know the scoop on taxes, politics and companies?

MembersZone Subscriber

Yes I'm sure you have and i dont think anyone on this thread has been discrediting you. Some of these guys know people there too and are just relaying the information they get is all. My post was based on the info I got just past November from WSI and it wouldn't surprise me if it all wasnt completely accurate. 5 years it quite a long time are you contract or military?

Forum Member

Default overseas firefighting jobs

If I'm not mistaken, WSI no longer does firefighting contracts overseas. They were going to hire me last year, but I didn't have my ARFF yet. By the time I got it, they told me their contract was up, that they were not renewing it, and the last deployment left november 10, 2010. I have put my app in with a couple other companies recently, but have yet to hear from them. I currently have been a firefighter for 9 years and have Firefighter I/II, Hazmat Ops/Awareness, ARFF, FEMA NIMS ICS 100 and 200 and will be completing the D/O course in a week. Medically, I have my active unrestricted LPN license in KY and IN, ACLS, AHA BLS/CPR/AED and am going to take the PHTLS soon. If anyone knows of any jobs that I'm qualified for, please feel free to contact me. Thanks.

Mikel Tyler
    mikel.tyler@insightbb.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mikel.tyler View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, WSI no longer does firefighting contracts overseas. They were going to hire me last year, but I didn't have my ARFF yet. By the time I got it, they told me their contract was up, that they were not renewing it, and the last deployment left november 10, 2010. I have put my app in with a couple other companies recently, but have yet to hear from them. I currently have been a firefighter for 9 years and have Firefighter I/II, Hazmat Ops/Awareness, ARFF, FEMA NIMS ICS 100 and 200 and will be completing the D/O course in a week. Medically, I have my active unrestricted LPN license in KY and IN, ACLS, AHA BLS/CPR/AED and am going to take the PHTLS soon. If anyone knows of any jobs that I'm qualified for, please feel free to contact me. Thanks.

Mikel Tyler
    mikel.tyler@insightbb.com

KBR, ITT, Dyncorp, PAE, KRS, Raytheon and CSC are some to name a few

Forum Member

Default contract companies...

Yea, I've already applied to KBR, Dyncorp, ITT, Raytheon didn't offer enough money, so guess it's time to play the waiting game...

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Atco is a joke....here is the truth!

Ok let me fill everyone in on Atco, I have been here for a while now and can assure you that everythin i am about to say is 100% true. Atco Frontec is a joke. they are responsible for protecting Kandahar airfield and the rest of the base. They have the flightline covered with half jacked apparatus going out of service every day, mostly due to the fact that they hav in experienced and uncertified employees. They put class A foam in an arff truck, cmon now, idiots. They take apparatus off of the flightline to respond to structure calls on base. They only have to somewhat structural trucks for the base that consists of 40,000 people. Which clearly does not meet the contractual standard or the standard per NFPA. The majority of their employees are from sri lanka,the philipines and india. Most of them barely speak any english and atco only pays them 24,000 a year where as the people from the UK and Australia and South Africa and other regions make at least 75,000. The company is heading down hill fast. The can't even met their manning standards because everyone knows how bad the company is. Atco had to write a contract with Sallyport Global to send american firefighters there to save their *** so that they can get their manning up. The americans are getting ready to leave and atco has yet to meet their quota. The have no SOP's,GMD's or anything to go by to have a general order of operation. Heck, they have been through several chiefs because nobody can fix their mess. They hav an inspection process that would not hold up in a court of law, they only have 2 fire inspectors for 40,000 people. And as for the R&R aspect, you can cancel that **** out, its a 50/50 chance weather you take your leave. The filipino workers only get 1 R&R per year as well as most others. They abuse their employees and threaten them with their jobs every day! Atco is full of lies, they have had over 100 people fill out applications to come to Kandahar, after those people read the contract and got word on the situation they never even showed up for the job,lol. That's how crappy of a company they are. they keep saying that they are getting more trucks and more funding but its all just rumors. Their bid on the contract was accepted for 11 million dollars. What do you expect to get out of it when the higher ups are pocketing the money and struggling to keep the head of their contract above water. If you would like to know anything else about Atco please message me and I will be happy to fill you in. Heck I'll even send you pictures if you want! But in my opinion and from what i've heard from reliable sources is that Atco is going to loose the Fire contract within 6 months, so don't even bother with an application.

Forum Member

Who would they lose the contract to?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default ?

Not sure, I just heard that NAMSA is tired of their crap and is ready to get someone else in there.

Forum Member

Default Fire Chief

Firedog436 i think you better come and see me don't you.!

Forum Member

Dear chief, ................ Here I set with computer key board in hand writing about a

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by jalli1978 View Post
    KBR, ITT, Dyncorp, PAE, KRS, Raytheon and CSC are some to name a few
    What position had you applied for? What were KBR, DynCorp, and PAE offering?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LtFiredawg View Post
    What position had you applied for? What were KBR, DynCorp, and PAE offering?
    I applied for all of them. I try to apply every chance I get...About once a month or so. The only one to contact me back was WSI last year. At that time the base pay was 90K with the first 85K being tax free. I understand with overtime the pay goes upwards of 140K for firefighters. I think most of these companies are cutting back though. I don't see many jobs being posted lately.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default ...

sorry, firedog436 is no longer at KAF : )

Thread Information