Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Forum Member

Default More Opportunities in Afghanistan

I am recruiting again for Fire Fighters for Kandahar Airfield...

We are looking for FFI & FFII, Pumper Operator, ARFF, and have opportunities at Platoon Chief downwards.

Salaries are from $67'000 - $80'000, however we are offering 4 weeks paid vacation every 12 weeks worked, which is the best rotation in Afghan. These salaries are correct and wont change.

Please send resume and scanned copies of certificates to edward.oldbury@randstadcpe.com

I look forward to hearing from you

Ed

Forum Member

what company do you work for??

Forum Member

I am a recruiter working for Randstad - we work on behalf of many companies, due to the nature of this work I can let you know privately who its with, drop me an email and I'll let you know

Ed

MembersZone Subscriber fallujahff's Avatar

Wow -- is this uplifted in any way? This is really low pay considering the Hazardous Duty.
    "When you are safe at home, you wish you were having an adventure-when you're having an adventure, you wish you were safe at home"

--Thornton Wilder

MembersZone Subscriber

No secret, the company is ATCO.

ATCO is the ONLY fire service on KAF. Dyn Corp is here but they are not responsible for suppression or flight line duties.

Salaries are low for several reasons:

1. It is a NATO contract.
    2. The contract was underbid with the expectation of TCNs being the bulk of the staff.
    3. Now that they are forced to raise their hiring standards and have to pay for the extra cost themselves (since they are the ones who underbid) it is biting them in the ***.

And now the recruiting agencies are in on the game getting their slice of pie too further reducing money available for salaries.

In short, they NEED westerners/expats for TCN wages....who's game??!!
    Last edited by AKflightmedic; 05-12-2011 at 12:35 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Has/is anyone working for ATCO in Afghanistan? I'm just trying to see how often they hire or if anyone is there now and has some insight on if they are going to need more guys soon.

Forum Member

Vandalff have you contacted him to see?

Forum Member

i have the last i heard a week ago was he was putting my paperwork infront of the client......emailed him twice since then, an no response, so im thinkin they are not in that big of a hurry

Forum Member

@Californiaff I send you a pm

MembersZone Subscriber

Ya i've talked with Atco. It seems as though the need in Afghan is there but Atco is slow to get them what they are asking for. I know they need the guys my question is, is their anyone over there that knows exactly what that need is or where the chiefs in Afghan stand on needing more guys.

Forum Member

I've always wondered why some contractors will say needed ASAP and then it takes forever for them to contact you... anyone know why?

MembersZone Subscriber

I am currently being processed and am on some sor of "hotlist" with ATCO. I applied through Ed who is a recruiter working for ATCO. He has been more than helpful through the process so far. However it seems like there are two different stories here. Ed who talks to staff at KAF says they need 30+ guys ASAP whereas ATCO has told me they don't need firefighters or d/o's right now and are making a hotlist for when they need them. I've been through the wringer with WSI last fall and am really hoping ATCO comes through soon. This contract business can be long and stressful for sure. I know the guys over there are probably in need of more guys but ATCO may be looking how to fund it...not really sure.

Forum Member

Is the processing pretty much like WSI? Just wondering how long it would take from contacting Ed to going through the whole process.

MembersZone Subscriber

No it isn't like WSI was. ATCO doesn't interview you until they know they have a position and will be sending someone, which is smart but still causes anxiety in all of waiting for the call but that's business. WSI had alot of things you had to do prior to a deploy date whereas ATCO will interview then make an offer if they're interested then you will be off and running soon after that from what I understand. Overall ive been very impressed with the level of communication from both Ed and ATCO. They all have alot going on but whenever I've had a question I've been able to contact one of them to get as direct an answer as possible without talking to an employee in afghan. There are two interviews one with someone from HR and another with an ATCO emplyee that is a technical interview. I haven't had either yet hence why I'm still stateside but I have talked to the lady at ATCO from HR who has been as helpful as can be. It's a waiting game but that's just the nature of it. I'm trying to hang in there too man good luck!

Forum Member

VandalFF, please let us know when you've had those interviews.

Forum Member

Default Tax Break?

ATCO is saying you get 4 weeks off every 12 weeks. So...based on working 7 days a week, if you get a month off every 12 weeks you will not qualify for the tax credit. You have to work 330 days out of the year overseas to qualify. That means you will have only worked 252 days and have had 90 days off which will add up to 342. Sorry if my math is wrong but you should check into this.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by 50 View Post
    ATCO is saying you get 4 weeks off every 12 weeks. So...based on working 7 days a week, if you get a month off every 12 weeks you will not qualify for the tax credit. You have to work 330 days out of the year overseas to qualify. That means you will have only worked 252 days and have had 90 days off which will add up to 342. Sorry if my math is wrong but you should check into this.
    If you do not holiday in the USA you will qualify...all depends on how bad you wanna see the USA.

Forum Member

I know some people over workin for a security company ex millitary, an they have told me NOBODY comes knockin down your door to check if you came back to the USA on your time off......and i see them every couple months, maybe they run things little different?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by AKflightmedic View Post
    If you do not holiday in the USA you will qualify...all depends on how bad you wanna see the USA.
    That has nothing to do with it. The only reason these contracors are even giving you ANY time off at all is because of the work visa's that are issued to you. You have to leave the country for a specified amount of time before you can return to work. All according to the specific work visa you are issued. If you get caught being in violation of your visa agreement, you will be considered an illegal alien.

Forum Member

So if I understand this correctly, 50, you actually HAVE to leave the country during your R&R regardless of which overseas contractor you're working for?

Thread Information