Forum Member

Exclamation Policies and Procedures Question?

Hey all,

I am currently preparing for an oral board for next week. I am having trouble with this question: "What do policies and procedures mean to you and why are they in place?" I cannot think of anything that isn't what everyone else says. Thank you all for your help!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireAholic144 View Post
    Hey all,

I am currently preparing for an oral board for next week. I am having trouble with this question: "What do policies and procedures mean to you and why are they in place?" I cannot think of anything that isn't what everyone else says. Thank you all for your help!
    Maybe this will get your head juices churning while you wait for others to chime in with more specific answers:

From what others have said on here, it sounds like sounding like everyone else is fine (some answers will only have one right answer), but it's how you tell it so it's your unique answer is what sets you apart.

Is there a time when following a policy or procedure has saved your butt? Can you use that story to grab the panel and lead into the your answer?

Just my 2 cents... Good luck.
    Nothing is as unimpressive as someone who is unwilling to learn.

Forum Member

Good Point! That's what I am struggling with, making it my own personal story-type answer. Thank you for the help and yes definitely has me thinking.

Forum Member

Policies and procedures are the rules that govern us as firefighters. Policies outline acceptable conduct and dictate what is acceptable and what is not. Polices define the boundaries that every firefighter is expected to stay within.
    Procedures spell out exactly how to do a specific task or accomplish an objective. Procedures ensure that everyone is operating off the same sheet of music. The example that comes to mind is throwing a 35 foot extension ladder. Itís nearly impossible to throw by yourself. In order to do it safely you must have help. At least one, but preferably two other people will help. The ladder procedure manual will clearly spell out the ladder commands and identifies exactly what each team member is expected to do.
    Policies and procedures are essential to the fire department to ensure everyone is doing the right thing and that everyone knows their job when someoneís life is on the line.
    Paul Lepore
    Division Chief
    Aspiringfirefighters.com
    AspiringFireOfficers.com

Forum Member

Thanks for the help Chief! It's greatly appreciated!

Thread Information