1. #1
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    70

    Default Questions about possible EMT changes

    Okay I have been told that there is going to be changes done to the EMT rankings. The first of them is that everyone with less then a year or two of EMT service will have to retake the classes because EMT-B will be equivalent to Intermediate and Intermediate will be equivalent to Paramedic and the paramedics will be as I was told " in the field doctor" that can give prescriptions and give things like morphine. and I have also seen on here that if your not going to an accredited university you will lose your national certs. any more information would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

  2. #2
    MembersZone Subscriber
    tree68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Jefferson County, NY USA
    Posts
    2,304

    Default

    First I've heard of it as such.

    Basics have been seeing skill creep - where once there were no invasive therapies available to them, and no meds (save oxygen), you're now seeing them doing epi-pens, blood glucometry, albuterol, and other "advanced" skills.

    I have heard of advanced practice paramedics, who have more privileges than your "average" paramedic.

    Paramedics in my area of NY can give morphine now (first dose) on standing orders (protocol).

    Something you may see happen is the eventual elimination of intermediates of all flavors (NY has two - "intermediate" and "critical care") in favor of just EMT-B and paramedic.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

    Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

  3. #3
    Forum Member
    islandfire03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,596

    Talking

    You need to find a better source of facts..

    Under the new national scope of practice standards The first responder level will have increased hours of training to be about equal to the current Basic level

    The Intermediate I-99 level providers will become EMT advanced providers. In some states this will give an expanded scope of practice and in others they will be taking away skills and education requirements.
    The current EMT-P will not be all that different in scope of practice.
    There will be advanced care Paramedics which will require a degree program and will have an expanded practice.
    They will not be writing prescriptions as that requires at a minimum a NP or PA license or MD.

  4. #4
    Forum Member
    CGITCH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Sumner IA
    Posts
    496

    Default

    This is such a difference on a state by state basis. Iowa is going through some changes now that affects all levels and their scope of practice. I'm not going to even try and go into details because I don't want to say something that isn't correct. However, if I'm not mistaken, our basics are actually losing some of their skill sets. Its all confusing.

  5. #5
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by islandfire03 View Post
    You need to find a better source of facts..

    Under the new national scope of practice standards The first responder level will have increased hours of training to be about equal to the current Basic level

    The Intermediate I-99 level providers will become EMT advanced providers. In some states this will give an expanded scope of practice and in others they will be taking away skills and education requirements.
    The current EMT-P will not be all that different in scope of practice.
    There will be advanced care Paramedics which will require a degree program and will have an expanded practice.
    They will not be writing prescriptions as that requires at a minimum a NP or PA license or MD.
    Actually, EMT-I/99 will have the option to bridge to the paramedic level under NREMT or revert to the new Advanced EMT (AEMT) level, whether states that utilize I/99 will recognize the bridge is up to them. The I/85 level is the direct conversion to the AEMT level.

    As it currently stands, the National Scope of Practice model, which the NREMT follows, does not recognize any advanced practice level. However, there is nothing currently forcing states to follow the National Scope of Practice model, and thus they are free to develop any levels they want or align their levels with the model. Similarly, there's nothing stopping states that use the model from adding or limiting the scope of practice at any specific level.

  6. #6
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CGITCH View Post
    This is such a difference on a state by state basis. Iowa is going through some changes now that affects all levels and their scope of practice. I'm not going to even try and go into details because I don't want to say something that isn't correct. However, if I'm not mistaken, our basics are actually losing some of their skill sets. Its all confusing.
    Does this mean that Iowa is finally getting rid of the insanity of calling EMT-I/99s "EMT-Paramedics?"

    http://www.idph.state.ia.us/ems/comm...transition.pdf

  7. #7
    Forum Member
    CGITCH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Sumner IA
    Posts
    496

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    Does this mean that Iowa is finally getting rid of the insanity of calling EMT-I/99s "EMT-Paramedics?"

    http://www.idph.state.ia.us/ems/comm...transition.pdf
    I haven't been in the EMS side of stuff for long but the way I understand it. Yes. Currently, we have 5? levels. First Responder, Basic, Intermediate, Paramedic, and Paramedic Specialist.

  8. #8
    MembersZone Subscriber
    LVFD301's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3,995

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by larsen2430 View Post
    Okay I have been told that there is going to be changes done to the EMT rankings. The first of them is that everyone with less then a year or two of EMT service will have to retake the classes because EMT-B will be equivalent to Intermediate and Intermediate will be equivalent to Paramedic and the paramedics will be as I was told " in the field doctor" that can give prescriptions and give things like morphine. and I have also seen on here that if your not going to an accredited university you will lose your national certs. any more information would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

    Ok, I am going to take a wild stab in the dark here.

    You heard some gossip, and are running scared with it, spreading it like a wildfire...

    Yet, what you have NOT done is take 10 minutes out of your busy day to call your state EMS agency and ask them....

    Just about nailed it?

  9. #9
    55 Years & Still Rolling
    hwoods's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....
    Posts
    10,739

    Thumbs down And............

    He obviously isn't from Maryland.......
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

    IACOJ Budget Analyst

    I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

    www.gdvfd18.com

  10. #10
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    SW Missouri
    Posts
    1,156

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LVFD301 View Post
    Ok, I am going to take a wild stab in the dark here.

    You heard some gossip, and are running scared with it, spreading it like a wildfire...

    Yet, what you have NOT done is take 10 minutes out of your busy day to call your state EMS agency and ask them....

    Just about nailed it?
    Yep that covers it. As Harve would say 'next please'

  11. #11
    Forum Member
    GTRider245's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Augusta,GA
    Posts
    3,064

    Default

    It is all a big damn mess that all of the states need to get together on and fix. Quite rediculous in fact.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

    -Professional in Either Role-

    Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

  12. #12
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    It is all a big damn mess that all of the states need to get together on and fix. Quite rediculous in fact.
    Could be worse... levels (not all counties accept the AEMT level) and scope of practice varies by county in California...

  13. #13
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    70

    Default

    Well first I would like to thank everyone who replied, and no i am not running scared I am not even certified in anything yet I am working on it and didn't want to waste time getting basic and then something happen.

  14. #14
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    long island ny
    Posts
    241

    Default

    I dont know other states rules, but here in NY you must be atleast a EMT Basic to transport and you must have valid basic card that will not expire if you take a CC or Paramedic course. Expire during the advanced class timeframe to clear things up. NY basic is good for 3 years.

  15. #15
    MembersZone Subscriber
    LVFD301's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3,995

    Default

    You are in OK right? They have a great EMS office, and a very friendly staff.

    But I would not worry about it if I were you. Take the classes.

  16. #16
    Forum Member
    DeputyChiefGonzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Somewhere between genius and insanity!
    Posts
    13,584

    Default

    If rumors and inuendo were snowflakes, we would be buried in the next Ice Age...
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

  17. #17
    55 Years & Still Rolling
    hwoods's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....
    Posts
    10,739

    Thumbs up Yep...........

    Quote Originally Posted by DeputyChiefGonzo View Post
    If rumors and inuendo were snowflakes, we would be buried in the next Ice Age...
    Uhhhhhhh......... Yeah..........
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

    IACOJ Budget Analyst

    I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

    www.gdvfd18.com

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. questions for the oral board...
    By ptgrace in forum Career Advancement
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-23-2007, 09:32 AM
  2. questions for the oral board...
    By ptgrace in forum Testing & Fitness
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-12-2007, 04:47 PM
  3. Situational Questions
    By RESERVEFORNOW in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-10-2007, 12:21 AM
  4. Situational Questions
    By RESERVEFORNOW in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-09-2007, 08:04 AM
  5. Questions about testing, academy, EMT, etc..
    By helix7 in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-07-2004, 03:04 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register