Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: City of Chicago Paramedic List 2011

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ATFDFF View Post
    I don't think I'm getting what you are saying. It may be in the same building, but it certainly is NOT the same academy! The FF candidates go through a 6 (roughly) month academy, 3 months being EMT-Basic and 3 months being Firefighter II. The Medic academy is about 2-3 months........and they are not cross trained as FFs.
    Like I said I'm not stating fact, I thought that's what I had read. Maybe Mac can chime in?

Forum Member

Last edited by medic02; 12-07-2011 at 07:44 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LRFFPD View Post
    Like I said I'm not stating fact, I thought that's what I had read. Maybe Mac can chime in?
    I am a dual certified Chicago FF/EMT-B, and you are right, all the EMS training takes place in the same building. The Paramedic Academy consists basically of refresher training on Paramedic skills, and preparing for the Chicago Region XI EMS System Entry exam. The Paramedic Academy, like the FF/EMT Academy, is very PHYSICAL TRAINING ORIENTED, so it is in your best interest to come to the Academy in shape. I would say most if not all wash outs from this program were from injuries related to, or individuals deciding that they could not keep up with, physical training.

Forum Member

Right now I am a paramedic in Ohio interested in applying. My question is what is the reciprocity process for there? Also, what else do I need to do as far as being out of state?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by doubled8206 View Post
    Right now I am a paramedic in Ohio interested in applying. My question is what is the reciprocity process for there? Also, what else do I need to do as far as being out of state?
    You can go to the IDPH website and look up reciprocity and all the details are there. It's just a matter of sending in an application with a copy of your cert and another form and then they'll send you your Illinois card. Time's an issue for you. CFD list is only open until June 1st.

On another note, has anyone heard any rumors at all about how many have gotten on the list so far? I know in the past it's generally 400-500. Wondering (and hoping) it stays at that number this time around.
    Last edited by Iceman26; 05-24-2011 at 02:32 PM.

Forum Member

It took about 2-3 weeks to process my reciprocity. Luckily, I didn't have to pay any kind of fee. I filled out the application, showed them my registry, showed them my continuing education hours. And viola, got my IDPH Paramedic!

I wish they provided more info about how many they are anticipating to hire, etc..

Forum Member

I've heard(rumor) that they go through a large number of people on the list. I imagine there has to be thousands of people on that list, seeing as all you have to do is have a DL, Medic license, and be willing to move to the city. Anyone know the process after the list closes on June 1st? Do we pretty much not hear anything else until they offer you a job? Or do you find out where you are on the list/lottery?

Forum Member

I've heard(rumor) that they go through a large number of people on the list. I imagine there has to be thousands of people on that list, seeing as all you have to do is have a DL, Medic license, and be willing to move to the city. Anyone know the process after the list closes on June 1st? Do we pretty much not hear anything else until they offer you a job? Or do you find out where you are on the list/lottery?
    In the past the paramedic list has had 400-500, never thousands. There could be more this time around with the economy being what it is but there definitely won't be thousands unless things change drastically from what they were in the past. They do go through a large number of people, either way. As for this process, within a week of the June 1st closing we are supposed to be notified if we qualified or not and if so I am pretty sure you'll get a list number just like they did with the firefighter list. Then depending where you on the list and how many they're looking to hire in a certain amount of time you'll get notified for further processing as they need it.

Forum Member

Really only 100s? I guess I figured this could be one of the easiest ways to get a really good job, and all I hear around the fd's around me is "did you apply for cfd?" Seems like everyone and their brother would. Then again, maybe I see it as a dream job, busy 24 hours, great department, great benefits, whereas others may see it opposite.

Forum Member

Really only 100s? I guess I figured this could be one of the easiest ways to get a really good job, and all I hear around the fd's around me is "did you apply for cfd?" Seems like everyone and their brother would. Then again, maybe I see it as a dream job, busy 24 hours, great department, great benefits, whereas others may see it opposite.
    Many people, like you and I, see it as a dream job or at least a great job to have until we cross over to the dream job on the fire side, but as for as the medic side goes not everyone sees it that way. Moving to the city is a big commitment for a lot of people for numerous reasons, and some people don't want to pay their dues working on an ambulance only for a few years, let alone when they're likely to run 20 out of 24 hours in a shift or even more in some places. The EMS side alone isn't appealing to everyone, especially when you add all the factors into it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Can someone explain how the cross-over process works? If a medic wants to cross, are their any minimum qualifications or other requirements? Does your fire test # factor in?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hewartson47 View Post
    Can someone explain how the cross-over process works? If a medic wants to cross, are their any minimum qualifications or other requirements? Does your fire test # factor in?
    To the best of my understanding, how it's gone in the past (TRCO2H or someone else feel free to correct any of this) is first of all you obviously have to have taken the 2006 fire exam and be on the list. Once on the job as a medic, if you're on the 2006 list then you're put on the list of eligible crossover medics. That list is compiled by seniority. Where your number on the fire list will come in is if you and others who have equal seniority (i.e. you were hired in the same medic class, etc), you're then put in order on the crossover list based on your fire list number. So let's say 10 of your classmates are crossover eligible, you all have the same seniority because you got hired at the same time, but your number on the fire list is 12,000 and another guy is 5,000 and another is 6,000...on the crossover list the person with 5,000 will be ahead of the person who is 6,000 and they'll both be ahead of you and so on and so forth. Once your position on the crossover list is established, your fire number then goes out the window. I believe it's a minimum of 25% of each firefighter class has to be crossover medics, and sometimes there are even more, so they go through it pretty quick. As another poster in this thread said, he's been on as a medic for two years and there are only 35 people ahead of him on the crossover list.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the information! Happen to know if the age limit come into play for crossovers?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hewartson47 View Post
    Thanks for the information! Happen to know if the age limit come into play for crossovers?
    The maximum age of hire for FF be it from the eligibilty list or a crossover is 38. You must be younger than 38 on day 1 of the FF Academy.

To answer some other questions, each FF class must contain at least 10% crossovers. That 10% must be on the FF eligibility list, and they are selected by straight seniority as Paramedics. However, if you have a number on the FF list that will get you hired before your seniority will, you can crossover that way, and not effect the 10% requirement.
    Last edited by TRCO2H; 05-27-2011 at 02:18 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

And thank you as well, TRCO2H.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TRCO2H View Post
    The maximum age of hire for FF be it from the eligibilty list or a crossover is 38. You must be younger than 38 on day 1 of the FF Academy.

To answer some other questions, each FF class must contain at least 10% crossovers. That 10% must be on the FF eligibility list, and they are selected by straight seniority as Paramedics. However, if you have a number on the FF list that will get you hired before your seniority will, you can crossover that way, and not effect the 10% requirement.
    Thanks for the clarifications. I knew it was 10%, not sure why I put 25%. Subconscious wishful thinking I guess! :P

Forum Member

So if you were not on the 2006 fire list then you can't crossover until you take the next fire test? Anyone know how long the process usually takes from time of offer until you have to have everything done? I have heard that they give you 30 days to get your PAT, medical, and residency done before you start.

Forum Member

So if you were not on the 2006 fire list then you can't crossover until you take the next fire test? Anyone know how long the process usually takes from time of offer until you have to have everything done? I have heard that they give you 30 days to get your PAT, medical, and residency done before you start.
    Don't know about the processing time. I do know by the first day of the academy you have to be living in the city. As for the crossing over, if you didn't take the 2006 test you can't cross over until they have another test which won't likely be for another five years based on them having one on average every 10 years in the past.

Forum Member

I believe the percentage number got upped to 15 for crossover 20 for veterans. I put my name in on the medic list.

Forum Member

Thanks IceMan. How do the ridding assigments get handled? I've heard that you have to earn your way into ridding in the back, and that as the new guy you drive and do all the work pretty much.

Thread Information