Like Tree21Likes

Thread: City of Chicago Paramedic List 2011

Forum Member

I haven't heard anything at all. Been pretty quiet. I know in the past it was always around 400-500 applicants. This time around who knows, hopefully it's in the same range. It'd be nice to even have a ballpark figure as to when we'll get letters notifying where we're at on the list. Life goes on in the meantime.

MembersZone Subscriber

Outside of vets points, is the list positioning random?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hewartson47 View Post
    Outside of vets points, is the list positioning random?
    It's done at random just like the fire list is. Based on the last digit of your SSN and they pick a number at random to start from and it goes forward from there.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks. Here's hoping they pick a better number this time!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hewartson47 View Post
    Thanks. Here's hoping they pick a better number this time!
    Amen to that! Fire list started with a 9. I definitely need and am due for better luck this time!

Forum Member

Just got an email from HR that stated my application has been reviewed and accepted, and by August 31, 2011 I will get an email stating my position in the lottery. Everyone else get their email?

Forum Member

Hey,

Ya I just looked at my email and it also says the same. Looks like another 2 months before we will get our list number. hum.....

Forum Member

yes i got the email as well, i am also waiting for FP (hopefully) on the fire side.

Forum Member

Got the email today as well. Interesting they aren't doing it by last digit of ssn like the fire list was put together. Nice to at least know a date to find out our list number now, that's been killing me not knowing. Hopefully it comes long before August 31st! ha.

Forum Member

From what I was told the number you receive is in order of applied applicants. If you applied day one you should get a great number. Also over 1500 applied.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bugsy2007 View Post
    From what I was told the number you receive is in order of applied applicants. If you applied day one you should get a great number. Also over 1500 applied.
    Once upon a time they used to do it that way, I hadn't heard that was the case this time around. I know they said it's an electronic random lottery...but I wouldn't put it past the city to say one thing and do another. Not saying you're wrong but I highly doubt they'll do it in order of applicants, especially considering it was all done online. What if you had to go in to edit something later on after initially submitting it...are they now going to count you as applying when you submitted the second time? I don't know. As for 1,500 applying I really hope that's not the case. In the past it's never been more than 500, 1,500 would suck.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman26 View Post
    Once upon a time they used to do it that way, I hadn't heard that was the case this time around. I know they said it's an electronic random lottery...but I wouldn't put it past the city to say one thing and do another. Not saying you're wrong but I highly doubt they'll do it in order of applicants, especially considering it was all done online. What if you had to go in to edit something later on after initially submitting it...are they now going to count you as applying when you submitted the second time? I don't know. As for 1,500 applying I really hope that's not the case. In the past it's never been more than 500, 1,500 would suck.
    We have ems field chief's in my house...all four told my 1500 applicant's, two told me in order the application was received for your random number and the other two did not know how the numbers will be given....

Forum Member

That sucks that there's that many applicants. I was online first thing that morning it opened up though so if they do do it that way I should be in good shape. I guess we'll see.

Forum Member

Been pretty quiet, you can tell everyone's playing the waiting game. Wonder if the letters will actually take until August 31st to arrive or if maybe they come sooner.

Forum Member

Default re

I hope we hear something before the end of July. I am gonna be really happy or really ****ed when I get this email/letter lol.

Forum Member

Well, it's August 1st. The final 30 day or less countdown is on!

Forum Member

I heard close to 5,000 applied and only 1,100 made it past the background check.... Does anyone know if they are gonna start a class when this new list comes out?

Forum Member

They ran background checks already? I wouldn't figure they'd do that until you're on the list and up for processing to get hired, but who knows. Speculation is they'll want to hire pretty quickly because they're pretty short handed on the EMS side. Lot of people working a lot of OT. There was a group off the old list that was processed, not sure if they'll be the first to go through or if they'll start from scratch with this new list. There was a fire class off the '95 test that was processed but got scratched once the 2006 list was produced so that could happen again. Pretty crappy but that's how it goes.

Even if it's 1,100 that's still a ton of people compared to years past. That sucks. There probably, and hopefully, be a lot of people who signed up just because it was only online and easy just for the hell of it but won't actually take a job offer when their number comes up. Then again, hopefully I'm high enough on the list that I don't care!

5,000 applicants seems like an awfully high number to me, let alone 4,000 of them being eliminated on account of background checks. Not only is that a ton, but that means there's a crapload of unruly medics currently working in this state!! haha
    Last edited by Iceman26; 08-11-2011 at 01:24 PM.

Forum Member

Haha its prob the EMT-B's that cant read must be emt-p by june 1st lol but ya that's what I heard so far so we should see when this list comes out. I am not sure if they did a full background check but I know they went and checked (DL and IDPH) to make sure you have both

Forum Member

Yeah they definitely checked that stuff. That's a good point on the EMT-B's, never thought of that. Just want these damn letters to get here already! With that said I've heard from a lot of places that the applicant pool is around 1,000-1,500.
    Last edited by Iceman26; 08-11-2011 at 04:27 PM.

Forum Member

I was in the Fire Academy's Instructor office last Monday and talked with some of the my buddies down there. Apparently there WERE 1,500 applicants, and they DID do rudimentary background checks. They made sure your application was complete. They cross referenced driver's licenses as well as IDPH Paramedic licenses. If your application didn't have all of the required information, you were rejected. According to my friend, 400 people were rejected. There are 1,100 people still eligible. There are no indications of when the next paramedic academy will be. Rumors of Oct, Dec, and Jan are out there. The Mayor's office makes the decisions on hiring and until they decide, nothing happens.

Forum Member

Thanks for the update AOF, appreciate it. I heard the same thing about the applicants and how many are remaining. Still waiting for the email/letters to come...T-Minus six days and counting!

Forum Member

He also told me that the Aug 31st deadline might come and go. There isn't any hard and fast rule. Said there might be some hold up. Hopefully not, but don't be shocked if the deadline comes and you're still waiting for your letter...

Forum Member

Nothing surprises me when it comes to the city. I figured all along there'd be a chance it could go past that date. Hopefully not the case but I'm prepared for it.

Forum Member

Anyone know if there's an EMS protocol for Chicago FD posted online? Im curious if they are very aggressive with their protocols such as RSI.

Thread Information