Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: City of Chicago Paramedic List 2011

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LRFFPD View Post
    Thanks IceMan. How do the ridding assigments get handled? I've heard that you have to earn your way into ridding in the back, and that as the new guy you drive and do all the work pretty much.
    Not real sure about assignments are handled.

Anyone heard anything yet? I thought I read in the FAQ section that if you hadn't heard anything after a week to contact HR. Tomorrow's a week since the opening closed. Just wondering if anyone else heard anything at all.

Forum Member

I remember reading the same thing. I have yet to hear anything and I know my payment went through as well as my app got submitted successfully.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ILFFPM View Post
    I believe the percentage number got upped to 15 for crossover 20 for veterans. I put my name in on the medic list.

the contract says 10% of each fire class must be cross-overs. not sure about the vets percentage, i know it was 10% and havent heard anything different.

Forum Member

Thanks IceMan. How do the ridding assigments get handled? I've heard that you have to earn your way into ridding in the back, and that as the new guy you drive and do all the work pretty much.
    once hired you are the single-role medic. on the ambo side (in the firehouse), there are single-role medics, paramedics-in-charge (pic) or ambulance commanders (ac). each ambo has one AC who is basically in charge of that ambo. he is on a shift with a single-role medic. the other three shifts have a single-role medic and a pic on each shift. the pic is in charge and usually does the computer/paper work, while the single-role medic drives and does alot of the patient care. pic is a promotion.

Forum Member

I remember reading the same thing. I have yet to hear anything and I know my payment went through as well as my app got submitted successfully.
    I went back and re-read it and I was mistaken. The within one week thing was if you submitted your application and documents and did not get a confirmation within a week then contact HR.

Forum Member

So I read elsewhere that the last time the last was open in 2007, it closed in March and letters weren't sent out until July of 2008. Ouch. I'd have never guessed there'd be that kind of time period in between. Really hope that's not the case this time around. Be nice just to know where we stand. That sucks.

Forum Member

Seems like it will be like every other FD testing/hiring process...hurry up and wait. Just keep on working and one day hopefully you'll see a letter. Anyone already live in the city or would anyone else need to find a place if they got hired?

Forum Member

Seems like it will be like every other FD testing/hiring process...hurry up and wait. Just keep on working and one day hopefully you'll see a letter. Anyone already live in the city or would anyone else need to find a place if they got hired?
    I'm going to be moving into a place into the city in a couple of months. Where I want to live anyway even without the job.

As for the list, the last post I made about the March 2007 closing and the letters not going out until July of 2008...in talking to some people on the job it doesn't sound like that would be possible. That would've only left about two-two and a half years to hire off that list and there 300 to 400 medics hired off that last. No way that would've happened in only two and a half years. But who knows? All we can do is wait and get on with our lives in the meantime.

Forum Member

Is the City done accepting applications for the medic side?

Forum Member

Yes, the deadline was June 1st. Anyone heard any total numbers or any news? I've seen on the fire side they may have an academy in August don't know if that would have any effect on the medic side...

Forum Member

I haven't heard anything at all. Been pretty quiet. I know in the past it was always around 400-500 applicants. This time around who knows, hopefully it's in the same range. It'd be nice to even have a ballpark figure as to when we'll get letters notifying where we're at on the list. Life goes on in the meantime.

MembersZone Subscriber

Outside of vets points, is the list positioning random?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hewartson47 View Post
    Outside of vets points, is the list positioning random?
    It's done at random just like the fire list is. Based on the last digit of your SSN and they pick a number at random to start from and it goes forward from there.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks. Here's hoping they pick a better number this time!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hewartson47 View Post
    Thanks. Here's hoping they pick a better number this time!
    Amen to that! Fire list started with a 9. I definitely need and am due for better luck this time!

Forum Member

Just got an email from HR that stated my application has been reviewed and accepted, and by August 31, 2011 I will get an email stating my position in the lottery. Everyone else get their email?

Forum Member

Hey,

Ya I just looked at my email and it also says the same. Looks like another 2 months before we will get our list number. hum.....

Forum Member

yes i got the email as well, i am also waiting for FP (hopefully) on the fire side.

Forum Member

Got the email today as well. Interesting they aren't doing it by last digit of ssn like the fire list was put together. Nice to at least know a date to find out our list number now, that's been killing me not knowing. Hopefully it comes long before August 31st! ha.

Forum Member

From what I was told the number you receive is in order of applied applicants. If you applied day one you should get a great number. Also over 1500 applied.

Thread Information