Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast
    Forum Member

Default City of Chicago Paramedic List 2011

Just thought I would start a thread for those that applied for the list. If you hear any info or rumors post them up here!

Forum Member

Nobody else applied??? Anyone know any of the benefits offered to CFD medics such as health insurance, vacation days, daley days(if they get em), etc? I know starting salary but does anyone know anything else?

Forum Member

The medical/pension benefits are the same since were in the same union. Medics make as much as singe role firefighters. The salary on the application does not take into account our 10% raise so you can add 10% and there is other specials pay added as well. Medics work 24 on 72 off with no daley days. The medics are also offered a lot of overtime as opposed to the fire side were ot is pretty scarce. Medics get three shifts off a year for their first five years and then six off until their fifteenth year. The Job is hard but it's definitely the best single role Paramedic job in the country. You'll see alot of action on the westside and parts of the south side. Most guys are looking to cross over like myself but if you stay on the EMS side there is lots of promotional opportunities.

Forum Member

I'm about a year out from Paramedic yet, but for future reference - what do you suggest to stay in the loop with Chicago Fire hiring for EMS or Fire? I've never been able to find much info on their hiring process. Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places.

Forum Member

Thanks Mac that was what I was looking for! I'm sure the list is a mile long for medics but hopefully some good will come of it for me. Joey- your best bet is word of mouth, checking the City of Chicago website, and this forum. I heard about the medic list from word of mouth, then cfdmedics.com, then here. You have to check back frequently as there isn't necessarily a "standard" time that they test, like most other departments that test every 2 years. Historically, they have tested for FD every 10 years or so, so most likely 2016 will be the next.

MembersZone Subscriber

What's the deal with residency requirement? Can you come from out of state?

Forum Member

As long as you have a state of illinois paramedic license.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by prostar81 View Post
    What's the deal with residency requirement? Can you come from out of state?
    I have read that you have to live in the city by the time you start...aka by the first day of the academy.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LRFFPD View Post
    I have read that you have to live in the city by the time you start...aka by the first day of the academy.
    Yep you must have a residence by the first day of the academy. If you haven't had an investigator over by that time, one will literally drive home with you after the first day of the academy. They'll ask you tons of questions (where's your toothbrush, the thermostat, etc).

Forum Member

The southside gets all the action. Hands down the west side is busier, but pretty much every southside ambo gets the traumas. Mac, if you haven't noticed, you can rise on up off of these nuts.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by chicago1 View Post
    The southside gets all the action. Hands down the west side is busier, but pretty much every southside ambo gets the traumas. Mac, if you haven't noticed, you can rise on up off of these nuts.
    In all actuality, if you have a paramedic license for the state of illinois you would be a fool not to apply online and get your name on the list. This is the best job in the world. If anyone has any questions regarding it feel free to message me on here. I only have a little over 2 yrs on the job so I'm quite new myself. Good Luck to everyone.

Bob

Forum Member

Chicago1

What lottery number were you issued on the 2006 FF exam? How high have they gotten for the CFD medic crossovers on that list? Have you taken the PAT yet? I was just curious. I know the vets are over 3000 as far as starting the process for FF. Thanks

Forum Member

I think my # was 15,000 or so. I took my PAT and am about 35 away from crossing over so it could be a class or 2 or 3. Most likely 2 or 3 away so who knows how long.

MembersZone Subscriber

Is there a minimum amount of time you must work as a medic before you are allowed to attempt the cross-over?
    Last edited by Hewartson47; 05-09-2011 at 01:51 PM.

Forum Member

No minimum time to cross-over

The Westside is very busy and you generally run non-stop. The best of the best are sent to the Southside where all the high profile runs take place. Nobody covers their area and clears faster from the hospital than the southsiders.

Forum Member

Anyone know what the PAT consists of?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rmnffmedic86 View Post
    Anyone know what the PAT consists of?
    I found this on youtube not sure if it's up to date or not...
    Here is the first half - http://youtu.be/GfPHH78ZLQQ
    And the rest - http://youtu.be/Ei2BDo-Gl7o

I think I'd love to work in the Southwest side because I love running non-stop and don't mess around at the hospital. Is the only way you can cross over if you have taken the 2006 fire exam? Or is there another way?

Forum Member

Just outta curiosity, obviously there's a PAT to get into the academy, but do they PT the medic candidates? Obviously I know they do the Fire guys, just wondering about medic.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ATFDFF View Post
    Just outta curiosity, obviously there's a PAT to get into the academy, but do they PT the medic candidates? Obviously I know they do the Fire guys, just wondering about medic.
    From what I have read it is the exact same academy as the FF canidates go through. I would assume there would be more on being a medic in the city, but who knows!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LRFFPD View Post
    From what I have read it is the exact same academy as the FF canidates go through. I would assume there would be more on being a medic in the city, but who knows!
    I don't think I'm getting what you are saying. It may be in the same building, but it certainly is NOT the same academy! The FF candidates go through a 6 (roughly) month academy, 3 months being EMT-Basic and 3 months being Firefighter II. The Medic academy is about 2-3 months........and they are not cross trained as FFs.

Thread Information