Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Maryland Wildland Firefighting?

I am looking to get in to Wildland Firefighting, the only problem is i live in Maryland where there are not very many opportunities to get in to the field. I was hoping someone on here might know the right way to get in. I have no prior experience, but i will be taking an emt-b class in a few weeks. I have looked all over the web and have not found the info I need to get started, so any help would really be appreciated.

thanks

Go to USAJOBS.gov and register. Once registered, do a series search for 0462 (forestry aid/tech) and for 0455 (Range aid/tech). You will be directed to the appropriate website for applying to either US Forest Service (which uses AVUE) or the service the Dept of Interior agencies (BLM and NPS predominantly) use.

Go back and read all the various threads about hiring here in the past 2 years to get a feel for the process and get tips on applying and getting hired on. It's probably too late for the western states, but the southeast states may be hiring before very long.
    IACOJ
    Stopping controlled burning DOES NOT stop the burning, only the control!
    http://www.wy.blm.gov/fireuse/fums.htm

thanks. that helps

@ecto,
    if you are interested at the state level try this link for Maryland DNR

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/forests/

I do know that many of their forestry firefighters are seasonal (i think it is a 2 part season)
    "If you can't be a good example, the you'll just have to be a terrible warning."

Thread Information