Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Boston FD?

Forum Member

Default Boston FD?

Did some searching, found little to nothing...

I frequent the hiring board often and see all these major cities with their lack of hiring, test ever 10 years, etc.

I never see Boston FD though.

How does their hiring process work? Is it impossible to get hired by them like it is FDNY/Chicago?

Anyone have any info?

Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

MembersZone Subscriber

You have to live in Boston for a year prior to the exam which is given every other April. Next exam in April 2012. You have to be under 32 years of age. If you are not a veteran it is tough cause they go to the top no matter what. Also right now there is a group of vets suing the BFD/Civil service commission because they were passed over for people that speak spanish. Take this from a guy who is from Mass and has been taking this test for 12 years and scores in the high 90's and still can't get on. Dice K has a better chance of winning the Cy Young than you would getting on in this state. Also...the test costs 200 bucks. 100 for the written and 100 for the physical.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bbell1977 View Post
    You have to live in Boston for a year prior to the exam which is given every other April. Next exam in April 2012. You have to be under 32 years of age. If you are not a veteran it is tough cause they go to the top no matter what. Also right now there is a group of vets suing the BFD/Civil service commission because they were passed over for people that speak spanish. Take this from a guy who is from Mass and has been taking this test for 12 years and scores in the high 90's and still can't get on. Dice K has a better chance of winning the Cy Young than you would getting on in this state. Also...the test costs 200 bucks. 100 for the written and 100 for the physical.
    I've tested three times and I was born and raised in Mass. I scored really high on my last exam back in 2008 while deployed to SW Asia, was an EMT, vet preference, and had residency in my home town...I was never interviewed or offered the job. It can be done but it's very very tough to get hired on up there! Medics are hard to come by and that is a great cert to have if applying for Mass. I know some folks who went to the top of the list over vets with being medics. I said screw the cold and snow transplanted to FL.
    FireMedic

Quote Originally Posted by bbell1977 View Post

Dice K winning what???

Say it isn't so.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by quickstangsvt302 View Post
    I've tested three times and I was born and raised in Mass. I scored really high on my last exam back in 2008 while deployed to SW Asia, was an EMT, vet preference, and had residency in my home town...I was never interviewed or offered the job. It can be done but it's very very tough to get hired on up there! Medics are hard to come by and that is a great cert to have if applying for Mass. I know some folks who went to the top of the list over vets with being medics. I said screw the cold and snow transplanted to FL.
    I feel your pain. I take the MA test but have been testing out of State. I have my EMT and plan to go back for my Medic in the near future.

Forum Member

Vets status is huge for Massachusetts!

Thread Information