1. #1
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Bossier Parrish, Louisiana
    Posts
    10,598

    Default Federal Budget & Class Cancellations

    Just found out today that my Radiological Monitering class in Nevada in a week has been cancelled due to the lack of a federal budget.

    Anyone know if the same issue is affecting the NFA?
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

  2. #2
    MembersZone Subscriber
    tajm611's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,071

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    Just found out today that my Radiological Monitering class in Nevada in a week has been cancelled due to the lack of a federal budget.

    Anyone know if the same issue is affecting the NFA?
    Hopefully it'll open up your busy schedule for a spelling class.
    ‎"I was always taught..." Four words impacting fire service education in the most negative of ways. -Bill Carey

  3. #3
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    3,895

    Default

    They are taking apps for fall classes now , it might affect those

    The ones between now and sept should be safe


    Write your congress person and ask them to support nfa

  4. #4
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Richfield, NC
    Posts
    618

    Default

    the feds have realized the primary function of the fire dept is not conducting radiological monitoring and that training needs to be funded as such.

    you know woulda coulda shoulda

  5. #5
    MembersZone Subscriber
    tajm611's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,071

    Default

    Oooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh sssnnnaaappppppp.


    Apparently they can afford to send little man to Nevada for something they never respond to but physicals... Ppfft.
    ‎"I was always taught..." Four words impacting fire service education in the most negative of ways. -Bill Carey

  6. #6
    Forum Member
    GTRider245's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Augusta,GA
    Posts
    3,059

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tajm611 View Post
    Oooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh sssnnnaaappppppp.


    Apparently they can afford to send little man to Nevada for something they never respond to but physicals... Ppfft.
    Trips to the test site are 100 percent paid for by the federal government.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

    -Professional in Either Role-

    Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

  7. #7
    Forum Member
    backsteprescue123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    4,318

    Default

    Forget radiological monitoring.... perhaps you should look into an aggressive interior attack class?
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

  8. #8
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Bossier Parrish, Louisiana
    Posts
    10,598

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by backsteprescue123 View Post
    Forget radiological monitoring.... perhaps you should look into an aggressive interior attack class?
    We have no problem with that as we do it all the time - except on abandoned structures.

    When you come up with a valid reason why we should take that risk let me know.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

  9. #9
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Bossier Parrish, Louisiana
    Posts
    10,598

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tajm611 View Post
    Oooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh sssnnnaaappppppp.


    Apparently they can afford to send little man to Nevada for something they never respond to but physicals... Ppfft.
    Actually, we have quite a bit of that stuff that travels I-20 as well as in use in the gas fields.

    And as GT said, the feds pay the entire bill.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

  10. #10
    MembersZone Subscriber
    tajm611's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,071

    Default

    So are most classes at lsu for state municipal departments but you still claim there aren't enough resources.
    ‎"I was always taught..." Four words impacting fire service education in the most negative of ways. -Bill Carey

  11. #11
    Forum Member
    FWDbuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Pee-Ayy!
    Posts
    7,404

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    We have no problem with that as we do it all the time - except on abandoned structures.

    When you come up with a valid reason why we should take that risk let me know.
    Do we need to go through the whole "abandoned vs. vacant" thing and verbally kick your azz again? What about the senerio where the kid comes home sick from school and goes upstairs back to bed, and mom takes the car and goes back to work, leaving the driveway empty......You never did answer my query to that one.

    Idiot. You can't handle a basic interior attack without cowering in the corner in a fetal position and now you want the feds to waste valuable money training you on something that would certainly make you pack your bags and run for the hills............
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

  12. #12
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Bossier Parrish, Louisiana
    Posts
    10,598

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Do we need to go through the whole "abandoned vs. vacant" thing and verbally kick your azz again? What about the senerio where the kid comes home sick from school and goes upstairs back to bed, and mom takes the car and goes back to work, leaving the driveway empty......You never did answer my query to that one.

    Idiot. You can't handle a basic interior attack without cowering in the corner in a fetal position and now you want the feds to waste valuable money training you on something that would certainly make you pack your bags and run for the hills............
    Interesting argument except that's not an abandoned structure. It's a possibly occupied and we would operate in it unless it was too heavily involved.

    As I have said many times before we define abandoned as a structure not maintained by owner and likely not occupied. Basically here that is a building falling down.

    I guess I'm the one that has to go over things again, huh?

    As far as your insult, it's once again untrue and par for the course.
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 05-08-2011 at 08:43 PM.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

  13. #13
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Bossier Parrish, Louisiana
    Posts
    10,598

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tajm611 View Post
    So are most classes at lsu for state municipal departments but you still claim there aren't enough resources.
    Show me a four-day course that's free at LSU with the exception of the haz-mat classes or the NFS outreach such as PICO or JFS Intervention.

    I have the utmost respect for LSU FETI and most of the staff, but as far as state fire training programs go, it is one of the most expensive. And yes, I understand fully that it is underfunded and that is why.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

  14. #14
    Back In Black
    ChiefKN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    The Nice Part of New Jersey
    Posts
    6,981

    Default

    No wonder we're in debt.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

    "The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

    "When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

  15. #15
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    107

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    Just found out today that my Radiological Monitering class in Nevada in a week has been cancelled due to the lack of a federal budget.

    Anyone know if the same issue is affecting the NFA?
    Please tell me they haven't rescheduled you. I may be headed there in the future and I don't personally think I could sit through 4 days of your drivel. I have not heard of any classes out there being cancelled and their website says nothing. Are you sure they just decided to not allow you to attend? I have heard radiation monitoring might be too aggressive for you.

  16. #16
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Bossier Parrish, Louisiana
    Posts
    10,598

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by truckmonkey42 View Post
    Please tell me they haven't rescheduled you. I may be headed there in the future and I don't personally think I could sit through 4 days of your drivel. I have not heard of any classes out there being cancelled and their website says nothing. Are you sure they just decided to not allow you to attend? I have heard radiation monitoring might be too aggressive for you.
    Hahahaaaaa...

    Yes they cancelled the classes scheduled for May.

    They are planning on running classes for those cancelled after the budget issue has been taken care of.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

  17. #17
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    107

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    Hahahaaaaa...

    Yes they cancelled the classes scheduled for May.

    They are planning on running classes for those cancelled after the budget issue has been taken care of.
    Might want to check your facts. They only cancelled May 16th.

  18. #18
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Bossier Parrish, Louisiana
    Posts
    10,598

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by truckmonkey42 View Post
    Might want to check your facts. They only cancelled May 16th.
    Yes, we found that out today as we have 2 going out the week after my class was scheduled and they are still on-track.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

  19. #19
    MembersZone Subscriber
    LVFD301's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3,963

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    Yes, we found that out today as we have 2 going out the week after my class was scheduled and they are still on-track.
    It sounds like they just wanted rid of you.

  20. #20
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Bossier Parrish, Louisiana
    Posts
    10,598

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LVFD301 View Post
    It sounds like they just wanted rid of you.
    Ya that's it.

    "Let's cancel the class just so that azz**** from LA won't come here."
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

  21. #21
    Back In Black
    ChiefKN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    The Nice Part of New Jersey
    Posts
    6,981

    Default

    Those of you that attended....

    Is it really worth the cost of guys traveling out there, etc?

    Seems like there should be a cheaper and better way to give that training.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

    "The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

    "When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

  22. #22
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    3,895

    Default

    Gota go where the radiation is

  23. #23
    105
    105 is offline
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    198

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    No wonder we're in debt.
    I blame George Washington. If he sold the wood from that cherry tree, and put the money into a compound-interest bearing account, the US would be heavily in the black right now.

    Damn him and his wooden teeth!

  24. #24
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Bossier Parrish, Louisiana
    Posts
    10,598

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    Those of you that attended....

    Is it really worth the cost of guys traveling out there, etc?

    Seems like there should be a cheaper and better way to give that training.
    ... But then we wouldn't get to spend 3 nights in Vegas on the federal dime!

    Somtimes you can be so logical Chief.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

  25. #25
    MembersZone Subscriber
    tajm611's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,071

    Default

    i really hope you win the jackpot.



    so you never have to come back.
    ‎"I was always taught..." Four words impacting fire service education in the most negative of ways. -Bill Carey

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Fdny List 6019
    By Douseit in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 12346
    Last Post: 07-11-2013, 05:31 PM
  2. ISO's new FSRS
    By Seagravesstick in forum Emergency Services Administration
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 02-06-2013, 06:58 PM
  3. FirePac and Kerry...anyone else sick of it?
    By swrr88 in forum Career/Paid Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 254
    Last Post: 07-27-2004, 03:11 PM
  4. F.D.V.A. Weschester County, NY Firefighter/EMT Job
    By gamewell37 in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 06-11-2004, 08:52 AM
  5. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-27-1999, 04:59 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register