Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Forum Member

Default What should I do

Hey all I got something that stumps me its a part of my personal life and I thought I would come to brothers to try and get the answer. I am a volunteer with a small department and I hope to become a career FF as soon as possible well today I found a department that is quite a distance away from where I live but I qualify I got caught up in the moment and applied now its hours later and my mind is going crazy. The deal is right now I am 19 Years old married and have a son but do to school and being a volunteer firefighter I have been unemployed for a while so I have no car or money to move if I did manage to get the job It would but a struggle on my marriage and my wife and child would always be stuck in our house/apartment until we managed to get money for a car and I couldn't do that, but at the same time I would be kicking my self for not testing or if offered turning down a job like that. Any advice would be awesome. I know its more of a personal problem but I got stuck.

Are you interested in anything else? I'd take the job. You need money, and this would be a good way to start earning cash now. You could try to look for something a little closer to home just to get yourself off your feet and then go back and reapply to the FD. I'd take the job now though if I were you.
    Good luck!

Forum Member

That is probably the longest run-on sentence I've ever seen.

Notwithstanding that, take the job. By your own admission, you're unemployed now - take the job with the department, move your wife and kid to an apartment and start building your career. No good will come of you turning this down and remaining unemployed - that will put more stress and strain on your marriage than being a little distance apart for a little while.

Seriously - take the job. Otherwise, you will regret it for a long time to come.

MembersZone Subscriber

Take the job. You have to start somewhere and it sounds like this is it. You have a family to take care of and the only way you can is to be employed!

Forum Member

Take the job if offered

Suffer for awhile for long term family gain

You will find away to move, get a beater car to drive for awhile

Work a second job for a couple extra dollars a week

Maybe wife and child stay with someone where they are now and you bunk with someone in the new city. Till you get a couple of paychecks and can be together

Quote Originally Posted by larsen2430 View Post
    The deal is right now I am 19 Years old married and have a son but do to school and being a volunteer firefighter I have been unemployed for a while
    What does being a Volunteer Firefighter have to do with being employed? Are you one of those unemployed "Professional Volunteer Firefighters" that does nothing but hang at the station all day long, because he thinks the world will end without him? FOOK THE VFD If it means getting a job, especially if you have a wife and kids at home, you meat head!

And if you are unemployed, how are you going to school? How is that being paid for?

Seems to me that whether or not you take this potential job offer is the least of your problems. Gonna tell you something that you may or may not like, but you need to hear it all the same.

You need to man the f*ck up, and do the right thing- which is place your wife and child first and foremost. You need to find gainful employment locally, with a salary but above all else health benefits. You need to keep this job for a few years while you save money for housing and transportation. If doing so means quitting school (god I hope you mean college and are not still in high school) and the Volunteer FD, then so be it, thats what you need to do. If the very thought of having to quit the VFD pains you into sleepless nights with cold sweats, no offense but you should have thought about that before you "sewed your seed."

Now, if you do happen to get a job offer for this career position, I would beg, steal, and borrow every dollar you possibly could get your hands on, and get reliable transportation (and I dont mean something that you want, I mean something that is reliable- and if that means taking the 4-door Nissan Sentra with the 4 cylinder engine over the rotting Mustang or the pickup that you want, remember, it's not all about you anymore.) I used to drive 135 miles one-way for my career position (but then again we worked 24/24 and I also did a lot of shift trades and worked 3 days straight due to my drive.)
    Take the career position and work it for a few years and save your green for a place to live and a decent vehicle. Then maybe go back to school, too.

Sorry if this offends you or pees you off, but from reading your post, sounded like you needed a slap to the back of your head.
    Last edited by FWDbuff; 05-10-2011 at 09:44 AM.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

What he said ^^^^^^.

I mean really - you are unemployed because of the Fire Department? GROW UP!

Apply by all means. Chances of you getting it are probably slim, because there is lots of competition out there, but apply. If you get it, do whatever it takes to get to work. Wife and kid has to stay at home? Is there a medical condition you are not mentioning? When I was young my wife and kids walked all over town. Great exercise. They were very social. Your off days she can take the car and run all over.

How do they get out of the house now?

Like Fire49 said, maybe they can stay back home while you get a few checks under your belt from the new job, get that apartment and car and bring them to your new city.

And in the meantime? McDonalds is hiring. No, really, they are. It is not beneath you, you can make it fit in your school schedule.

I suspect this is going to be one of the threads where the OP never replies, realizing that he is not going to get a sympathetic ear.

Quote Originally Posted by LVFD301 View Post
    I suspect this is going to be one of the threads where the OP never replies, realizing that he is not going to get a sympathetic ear.
    So seconded. All those in favor?
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

DON'T LISTEN TO THEM D00D THEIR JUST JELUS OF UR SUPERKOOL FIREFIGHTING SKILLZ. STAY UNEMPLOYED AND FIREFITER4LIFE RITE???!?!???

seriously. Grow up. Get a job. Support your family. In whatever way you can make this happen.

I originally took that statement the same way Buff and LV did but after reading it I think it was just the way it looked being as there was a total lack of puncuation. At least I hope so. Anyone who remains unemployed so they can be a volunteer firefighter is an idiot.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Really man, I ain't buying it. Your post makes absolutely no sense. What the HELL does being a volunteer firefighter have to do with being unemployed??? And how the hell do you expect to buy a car for your wife and kid to drive around in if you don't take the job. I think this is a bull **** post. I'm calling bull ****!

BTW, how the crap to you get to the fire department without a car? Just curious.

Now, had you wanted us to take you seriously, below is a more grammatically correct version of your post along with spelling corrections. I'm sorry, but I couldn't resist as the lack of puncuation made it very painful for me to read. I now have a headache, thanks. I know my typing is not always perfect, but for the love of God, this was just too much.

Hey all I got something that stumps me and it’s a part of my personal life. I thought I would come to brothers to try and get the answer. I am a volunteer with a small department and I hope to become a career FF as soon as possible. Today I found a department that is quite a distance away from where I live but I qualify. I got caught up in the moment and applied now its hours later and my mind is going crazy. The deal is that right now I am 19 Years old, married, and have a son. But due to school, and being a volunteer firefighter, I have been unemployed for a while so I have no car or money to move if I did manage to get the job. It would but a struggle on my marriage. My wife and child would always be stuck in our house/apartment until we managed to get money for a car. I couldn't do that, but at the same time I would be kicking myself for not testing or if offered turning down a job like that. Any advice would be awesome. I know it’s more of a personal problem, but I got stuck.
    Last edited by firefightinirish217; 05-10-2011 at 12:42 PM.

Here is a quote from one of his messages back in December,

"I am willing to go anywhere in the US to do so I am looking but if anyone has tips or knows somewhere I am open to suggestions. Thanks for all advice."

This after three months on his department as a "reserve".

Hey all I got something that stumps me its a part of my personal life and I thought I would come to brothers to try and get the answer. I am a volunteer with a small department and I hope to become a career FF as soon as possible well today I found a department that is quite a distance away from where I live but I qualify I got caught up in the moment and applied now its hours later and my mind is going crazy. The deal is right now I am 19 Years old married and have a son but do to school and being a volunteer firefighter I have been unemployed for a while so I have no car or money to move if I did manage to get the job It would but a struggle on my marriage and my wife and child would always be stuck in our house/apartment until we managed to get money for a car and I couldn't do that, but at the same time I would be kicking my self for not testing or if offered turning down a job like that. Any advice would be awesome. I know its more of a personal problem but I got stuck.
    Dogpile!

I was about to give up reading that run on sentence until I saw a comma towards the end and had some hope for more punctuation.

First, good on you for going to school! Hopefully it is for something in the long run.

Now; How did you get "caught up in the moment" of applying for a job? Was it that incredible of a event? You also talk like you've got the job offer already and need to make some quick decisions. Hell, you've only just applied for it hours ago.

Experience is great at a volunteer department, but at this stage in your life, it is hindering you from being gainfully employed full time in order to provide anything for your wife and child. Take a leave of absence for now. Stay in school for now if you can, but for god's sake and theirs: GET A JOB.

Testing isn't cheap. You are going to struggle. Don't be the root cause of that struggle.

Good luck.
    Last edited by ffbam24; 05-10-2011 at 01:06 PM.

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by LVFD301 View Post
    Here is a quote from one of his messages back in December,

"I am willing to go anywhere in the US to do so I am looking but if anyone has tips or knows somewhere I am open to suggestions. Thanks for all advice."

This after three months on his department as a "reserve".
    I had that feeling it was all BS. Somebody didn't get enough attention from mommy and daddy as a child most likely.

Thanks for clearing the air LVFD.

Here's another contradicting quote from this guy:

That's simple do you regret anything you ever did then answer yes if not then answer no, But just a little tip don't bother regretting anything life happens for a reason.
    Last edited by firefightinirish217; 05-10-2011 at 02:29 PM.

Forum Member

Okay Well for starters thanks for the replies. I really don't care about any grammatical errors, I mean really its just a discussion board for fun, but if its that big of deal I will actually try. The main reason for unemployment is not the fire department I live in an almost nothing size town it has on gas station that is not even a gas station(if that makes sense), and the closest areas that ever hire are no less then 25 minutes away. a lack of personal transportation and and money to actually make it back and fourth to work until next check and, even then it may not be enough to cover gas. to answer some of your questions I live with my in-laws they do have a vehicle but I can not use it to go to and from work in because then they won't have it. I pay for college from student loans. Thanks every one for your input, and just so you know none of it has offended me.

P.S. I have been on my department for seven months.

Forum Member

How is that contradicting I try to tell the truth, and I don't ever regret anything I do what does that have to do with this?

I had a feeling it was going to be something like that.
    For you, if you have any inkling to serve your country; I actually suggest the military then.

It will help develop you as a person and further down the line, help you out in life.

Look into it and if any questions post another here. Just don't be dead set on firefighting in the military if you start to go that route. Plenty of other jobs in the military that make the proverbial wheel go round. Veteran's points will help you out in some other aspects of testing and they're the same no matter what you do in the military.
    Last edited by ffbam24; 05-10-2011 at 02:54 PM.

Forum Member

Okay Well for starters thanks for the replies. I really don't care about any grammatical errors, I mean really its just a discussion board for fun, but if its that big of deal I will actually try. The main reason for unemployment is not the fire department I live in an almost nothing size town it has on gas station that is not even a gas station(if that makes sense), and the closest areas that ever hire are no less then 25 minutes away. a lack of personal transportation and and money to actually make it back and fourth to work until next check and, even then it may not be enough to cover gas. to answer some of your questions I live with my in-laws they do have a vehicle but I can not use it to go to and from work in because then they won't have it. I pay for college from student loans. Thanks every one for your input, and just so you know none of it has offended me.

P.S. I have been on my department for seven months.

Well, per chance you are sincere in this. Here's a little advice that was passed to you in another thread. Having a good military record goes a LOOOONG way towards credibility with fire departments now days. You should really talk to your wife about letting you look into the possibilities there. Take her along with you and let her talk to the recruiter about the benefits that she and your son will recieve while you're on active duty. Not to mention your college will be fully paid for as will your housing, electricity, and other utilities. You should really look into it. If you do go and talk to a recruiter though, message me on here. Sometimes you have to be on guard against some of the bull **** they'll try and sell you. If you go the USMC route, let me know what military occupational specialty (MOS) you want and which MOS number they sign you up for and I'll let you know if they're being legit with you. Mine was not, I got a job I didn't want. I should have done my research though.

Wish you luck man.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffbam24 View Post
    I had a feeling it was going to be something like that.
    For you, if you have any inkling to serve your country; I actually suggest the military then.

It will help develop you as a person and further down the line, help you out in life.

Look into it and if any questions post another here. Just don't be dead set on firefighting in the military if you start to go that route. Plenty of other jobs in the military that make the proverbial wheel go round. Veteran's points will help you out in some other aspects of testing and they're the same no matter what you do in the military.
    Yeah, what ffbam says. And to add to his comment about being a firefighter in the military. If you sign up for ARFF in the Marine Corps, because we don't have structure firefighters, prepare to be bored out of your mind. Also, fire departments usually don't care what your job was in the military, just that you were in the military and that you got an honorable discharge.

Forum Member

Actually I would love to be in the military I had gone through MEPS and they turned me down. I had a hole in my ear drum so afterward I got a surgery done. About a month after the surgery I went to another recruiter and he said I have to wait at least three or four months to see if it actually helped, and I would need a doctors note. Well that was a month and a half ago and I haven't been back to doctor or recruiter.

Thread Information