Thread: FP&S Sign grant

MembersZone Subscriber

Default FP&S Sign grant

I just wanted to share a success story.

We recieved a FP&S grant for address signs. Instead of buying the blanks and die cut numbers, or the finished signs, we bought raw materials, (blanks, rolls of 3m reflective materials) and a computer and cutter.

We were warned that it would be a lot of work, especially since we were making the signs instead of buying the pre made ones.

Let me tell you - it was a lot of work. Mainly in contacting people, and putting the signs up. It required at least two trips to each address. Making the signs, on the blanks that were already reflectorized with the green backing was not that tough.

BUT, MAN WAS IT WORTH IT!

We saw a number of benefits,

1. Addresses. The obvious one. So much easier to find the address of a call now. You drive down our roads and it looks so cool, green sign after green sign.

2. Equipment. That computer to run the plotter makes a dandy training computer, as well as day to day operations computer. The plotter/cutter also can be used for OTHER SIGNS!

3. One of our upcoming projects is going to be to take larger sign blanks, and make a sign for each road that enters our coverage area. It will include a contact number. It does make a difference in donations. Why not? It only takes a few minutes to make the sign, and we have most of the materials and all of the equipment.

4. Graphics on our trucks. Easy to do.

5. Our mutual aid departments are looking at doing their own projects, using the cutter we have. (Paying for a new blade and their own materials)

6. Our patrons love it.

This project made a lot of sense - both for the money, and for the work.

Forum Member

Congratulations.

That sounds like a really good idea. We have been trying to get our area all numbered, but have had issues with people not wanting to buy the signs, or thinking that cheap 2" stencils on the side of the house was good enough.

I would be very interested in getting some more information on your application and the process you went through.

Forum Member

Default I'm very interested

we have the same problem of no address signs to find people and their homes. Please send me a copy also of grant narrative and some info on the equipment you purchased to make the signs...

this would of so much help to our department, community, etc.

providencefiredepartment@yahoo.com

Forum Member

An extremely excellent idea! My FD could benefit with the same program. If possible, could you also send me the info? Thanks, Ben

bwebster@nycap.rr.com

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Congratulations.

I would be very interested in getting some more information on your application and the process you went through to

mark198203@yahoo.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by HuntPA View Post
    Congratulations.

That sounds like a really good idea. We have been trying to get our area all numbered, but have had issues with people not wanting to buy the signs, or thinking that cheap 2" stencils on the side of the house was good enough.

I would be very interested in getting some more information on your application and the process you went through.

Send me an email addy....

MembersZone Subscriber

Sent tonite the above three, and the ones from private messages. Good luck.

Forum Member

If I could get a copy, that would be awesome! Our county is redoing 911 addresses based on GPS starting in 2 months. The downside is, residents can use either the new or old address for the next year!!! My e-mail is ADC120@MSSTATE.edu. Thanks!

Forum Member

Can you send me an e-mail with the info.

Thanks.

Craiga894@yahoo.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Sent. Good luck.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by LVFD301 View Post

We recieved a FP&S grant for address signs. Instead of buying the blanks and die cut numbers, or the finished signs, we bought raw materials, (blanks, rolls of 3m reflective materials) and a computer and cutter.

We were warned that it would be a lot of work, especially since we were making the signs instead of buying the pre made ones.

Let me tell you - it was a lot of work. Mainly in contacting people, and putting the signs up. It required at least two trips to each address. Making the signs, on the blanks that were already reflectorized with the green backing was not that tough.

1. Addresses. The obvious one. So much easier to find the address of a call now. You drive down our roads and it looks so cool, green sign after green sign.

2. Equipment. That computer to run the plotter makes a dandy training computer, as well as day to day operations computer. The plotter/cutter also can be used for OTHER SIGNS!

3. One of our upcoming projects is going to be to take larger sign blanks, and make a sign for each road that enters our coverage area. It will include a contact number. It does make a difference in donations. Why not? It only takes a few minutes to make the sign, and we have most of the materials and all of the equipment.

5. Our mutual aid departments are looking at doing their own projects, using the cutter we have. (Paying for a new blade and their own materials)

6. Our patrons love it.

Blake I already have a 54Ē HP plotter at the station that I use to print maps with and it uses the UV resistant ink. The name of the ink doesnít come to me right now but you know what it is. I know it will print to all kinds of media but havenít thought about making signs. So what kind of cutter do you have? Do you have a link to the company or a picture? If you still have my email address send me what you have. You seem to be always a step ahead of everybody else.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by dfd701 View Post
    Blake I already have a 54Ē HP plotter at the station that I use to print maps with and it uses the UV resistant ink. The name of the ink doesnít come to me right now but you know what it is. I know it will print to all kinds of media but havenít thought about making signs. So what kind of cutter do you have? Do you have a link to the company or a picture? If you still have my email address send me what you have. You seem to be always a step ahead of everybody else.
    I could have done none of it without everyones help here, but thanks.

www.signwarehouse.com is who I used for the plotter, supplies, etc.

http://www.interstate911.com/ is where I get my blanks from.

Forum Member

Default Sign Grant

Congratulations LVFD that was a great idea. I would appreciate it if you would send me a copy of the information also. caleta05@comcast.net

Forum Member

Thankyou LVFD301 for the info this is a great idea and Congratulations on your new tanker

MembersZone Subscriber

LVF301 could you email me a copy when you get a chance. volfireman034@yahoo.com
    Thanks

Forum Member

What system did you use to mount the signs ?
    ?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
    What system did you use to mount the signs ?
    System?

Deck screws?

Forum Member

Deck screws into what ? Fences ? houses ? Trees ? - I was intrested if you had a uniform system for a rural area where you have a wide range of set back distances from the road. Espically that can be viewed from both directions.
    ?

MembersZone Subscriber

Outstanding idea, would you add me to your list of folks you shared your narrative/project description with?

utfd701@yahoo.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
    Deck screws into what ? Fences ? houses ? Trees ? - I was intrested if you had a uniform system for a rural area where you have a wide range of set back distances from the road. Espically that can be viewed from both directions.
    Mailboxes, or fences. If we did not have those very visible, it was on a 4 foot metal fence post.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Forum Member

Gotcha - thank you .
    ?

Forum Member

Hey LV
    Could you be so kind to forard a copy to me also.
    I would be so grateful.

Thanks,
    Glenn

jamgwill@southernco.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LVFD301 View Post

6. Our patrons love it.

Mind sharing some info with me. Thanks.

mmpwfireco@mmpw.comcastbiz.net

Thread Information