Forum Member

Default Need answers to a few questions?

I just took a civil service exam and they grade the test as you hand it in. The math, english, maps, etc portion of the test is not very hard so I am guessing the questions that I missed are the situational questions. I am needing help figuiring out the answers to these questions:

If Tom was a 20 year veteran and the Chief has told you he has had many awards for bravery but his tactics are different than what you have learned in trainging, what do you do?
    a. Tell him his ways are different than you have learned
    b. Ignore him
    c. Listen to what he has to say but do what you have learned in training
    (I cant rememer all the answers)

If you see another firefighter take something from a fire scene what would you do?
    a. Tell your supervisor
    b. Talk to the firefighter and ask what he is doing
    c. Ignore the situation

If an obvious drunk says he is a vol. firefighter and wants to help at the fire scene what would you do?
    a. give him a simple task
    b. send him to supervisor
    c. tell him no and stand out of the fire scene

There were more questions and I seem to answers most of them with "talk to the individual personally", is that the right answer to most? Should I answer with "talk to supervisor"?

Thanks for your help

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by trojans15 View Post
    If you see another firefighter take something from a fire scene what would you do?
    a. Tell your supervisor
    c. Ignore the situation
    That's how I would answer that one, according to what I have learned form Captain Bob.

On the first one there should have been something about trying it his way, and if there was then that is your answer for that one. If I am not mistaken.

Forum Member

For the first one I would put C and the last also C

Forum Member

These are very common oral interview questions. I have not heard of departments using them as a part of the written exam. It seems departments are always changing to keep ahead of the testing crowd.

I have answered most of these questions in my book, “Smoke Your Firefighter Interview”
    For quick reference I have highlighted how I would answer the questions you presented.

If Tom was a 20 year veteran and the Chief has told you he has had many awards for bravery but his tactics are different than what you have learned in training, what do you do?
    a. Tell him his ways are different than you have learned
    b. Ignore him
    c. Listen to what he has to say but do what you have learned in training
    (I cant rememer all the answers)

The problem with simply doing it his way is that there is a STANDARD way that you are taught in the academy. As a probationary firefighter you will be retested on your skills. If you simply "do it his way" you are destined for failure.
    While his way may be better, you risk the fact that it is not a "sanctioned way.

a. Tell your supervisor
    c. Ignore the situation

This is a very common question. MOST LIKELY, there is a reasonable explanation as firefighters are honest and ethical. IF he gives you an answer that doesn't make sense or if he tells you to mind your own business, you have a duty to act.
    DO NOT lecture him. There are three choices:
    1. He goes to the Captain and explains what happened
    2. You go with him
    3. You go on your own

If an obvious drunk says he is a vol. firefighter and wants to help at the fire scene what would you do?
    a. give him a simple task
    b. send him to supervisor
    c. tell him no and stand out of the fire scene

It's not your responsibility to put another firefighter (drunk or not) to work. Nobody is allowed to operate on the fireground without being accounted for. The fact that this firefighter may be impaired makes this a slam dunk!
    Last edited by paulLepore; 05-12-2011 at 09:50 PM.
    Paul Lepore
    Division Chief
    Aspiringfirefighters.com
    AspiringFireOfficers.com

Forum Member

There are a lot of oral questions being asked in the written tests these days, as well as psych. questions. The reason being that if they can weed out a person that won’t pass the oral or psych in the written, it saves money and leaves room for people that are more qualified.

Posting questions you were asked and having someone just give you the right answer doesn’t really help you, unless you are asked that specific question. You need to understand why the question should be answered that way.

In the first question I would just ask questions, or in this situation tell him his ways are different. You will find the only place things are done like they are in training, is in training. In your career you want to learn as many ways to do something as you can, so if one way doesn’t work, you know a different way. This person may have far better ways to do things than you were taught. Tom may be the smartest person you will ever meet, you wouldn't want to miss an opportunity to learn from him.

In the second question. You are always going to be right when you ask questions. The firefighter may have been asked to collect the valuables by a chief or home owner. Always do research and get all of the facts before you make an assumption or jump to conclusion.

In the third I would send the drunk guy to the chief. It is not your job to order people to leave a scene and if this person is showing up at calls drunk, the chief should know about it. By having the person go to the chief, you are not getting him in trouble, the chief will figure it out for himself.
    Good Luck, Capt Rob
    www.myfireinterview.com

Thread Information