Thread: Oxygen in POV

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffscm72 View Post
    IMHO...leave the meds on the rig. Not so much the dangers of it. But more so a legal stand point. It's a medication, you go around w/ O2 in the back seat you can be charged w/ drug trafficking w/o a prescription in your vehicle. & yes you can be charged w/ out DOT papers or prescription. Depend on how the police feel that day.
    That's complete bull.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thousands of volunteers carry o2 in there pov's (alot of agencies allow it, always go with what your boss says) and I haven't read/ heard of any LEGAL trouble resulting from it. We leave oxygen in the ambulance 24/7 365 for the last 40 years in 100 degree plus heat. If takes quite a bit more than baking in the sun to have those o2 bottles explode.

and the bag is the best way to go.

Back In Black

Quote Originally Posted by ffscm72 View Post
    IMHO...leave the meds on the rig. Not so much the dangers of it. But more so a legal stand point. It's a medication, you go around w/ O2 in the back seat you can be charged w/ drug trafficking w/o a prescription in your vehicle. & yes you can be charged w/ out DOT papers or prescription. Depend on how the police feel that day.
    So much nonsense in one post.

Isn't there a prize for that?
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

All protocols and legal issues aside, if you haul it make sure it's secured. The other guys are right, haul it in a bag for convenience and safety. If something were to knock the head off that tank, you've got a missile in your tool box. Just my $0.02.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Firefighter View Post
    I'am a first responder, and I most of the time respond straight to the scene because i live on the the other end of town from the station. Anyway, I have a tool box in the back of my truck. I have no knowledge of storing oxygen. Can i put a portable bottle of oxygen in my toolbox without it harming me or my truck?lol I live in Louisiana where in the summer it gets to 105 degrees. Please help.. Thanks !!
    Cajun Firefighter
    I live in BTR and have carried OČ in my PVO off and on over the past 30+ years. It will store just fine in your tool box. The main issue it not to allowing grease, oil, and other contaminate the set. I used the old style Robert Shaw box and never had a problem.
    As far as legal. The department has to be aurthorized by the department's medical control (doctor) to use OČ, and they must have a perscription on file with thier supplier, but I know of no law in Louisiana that prohibits qualified medics form carrying OČ in thier POV.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire View Post
    That's complete bull.
    Agreed. It's nonsense.

Thread Information