Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 31

Thread: Oxygen in POV

  1. #1
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    10

    Default Oxygen in POV

    I'am a first responder, and I most of the time respond straight to the scene because i live on the the other end of town from the station. Anyway, I have a tool box in the back of my truck. I have no knowledge of storing oxygen. Can i put a portable bottle of oxygen in my toolbox without it harming me or my truck?lol I live in Louisiana where in the summer it gets to 105 degrees. Please help.. Thanks !!


  2. #2
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Statesville NC
    Posts
    77

    Default

    I would not. If for some reason that tank has a leak and someone walks by the buildup of oxygen in the toolbox could cause a explosion.
    Last edited by d_holder86; 05-12-2011 at 05:50 PM.

  3. #3
    Forum Member nmfire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Posts
    5,738

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by d_holder86 View Post
    I would not. If for some reason that tank has a leak and someone walks by the buildup of oxygen in the toolbox will cause a explosion.
    Uh, I don't think someone walking past the truck will make oxygen explode... That only happens in movies.

    Carrying O2 in a POV is very common and is no more or less dangerous than carrying it in a department owned SUV or car or ambulance. Don't make it more complicated than it needs to be. Put it in a bag made for it just like we do on the apparatus to protect the tank from rolling around and it holds the masks and stuff too.

    Putting it in the tool box will not be problem. It gets that hot in any other vehicle left out in the sun too. I used to have mine in a tool box for years.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

  4. #4
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    81

    Default

    When you say First Responder, do you mean NREMT or State Certified Medical First Responder or do you mean it as in "I am a firefighter therefore I am one of the first to respond and commonly referred to as a "First Responder"."

    If you are a Certified Medical First Responder and you've never been taught the basics of storing and transporting medical oxygen then you probably need to ask for a refund on the first responder course. That just seems to me like one of the basic skills you should have been taught. If you "Have no knowledge of storing oxygen" then how do you even know it's stored safely on your rigs?

    If you are not a certified medical first responder, you might want to check with your department, your local ems and your state's laws. In my state unless you are a certified first responder acting under the auspices of the primary emergency medical organization in the state administering oxygen is a no-no.

  5. #5
    MembersZone Subscriber tree68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Jefferson County, NY USA
    Posts
    2,270

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by d_holder86 View Post
    I would not. If for some reason that tank has a leak and someone walks by the buildup of oxygen in the toolbox will cause a explosion.
    Oxygen by itself is non-flammable... It is, however an oxidizer (or should we say the oxidizer). If you were to light a match in an oxygen-rich atmosphere, the match would burn really fast, but there would be no explosion.

    Like NMFIRE says - stored properly, it's not a hazard, even if the vehicle gets hot (there's a relief mechanism for that). I'd worry more about that can of shaving creme....

    Failures of O2 cylinders in fires are extraordinary events.

    Agreeing with EGregory - oxygen is considered a drug/medication. It needs to be handled as such, even if you can go into an "oxygen bar" in Japan and get some nicely scented O2 for a small remittance....
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

    Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

  6. #6
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EGregory View Post
    When you say First Responder, do you mean NREMT or State Certified Medical First Responder or do you mean it as in "I am a firefighter therefore I am one of the first to respond and commonly referred to as a "First Responder"."

    If you are a Certified Medical First Responder and you've never been taught the basics of storing and transporting medical oxygen then you probably need to ask for a refund on the first responder course. That just seems to me like one of the basic skills you should have been taught. If you "Have no knowledge of storing oxygen" then how do you even know it's stored safely on your rigs?

    If you are not a certified medical first responder, you might want to check with your department, your local ems and your state's laws. In my state unless you are a certified first responder acting under the auspices of the primary emergency medical organization in the state administering oxygen is a no-no.


    I'am a Certified Medical First Responder. I know some basic skills of storing oxygen, but i wanted an answer with all the info i needed to know. Even if i knew it already.
    You have to be an EMR (Emergency Medical Responder) to administer oxygen. EMR is the new term for Medical First Responder.

  7. #7
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Thanks everyone for all the great information!! I'am considering buying a oxygen setup for my truck.

  8. #8
    Forum Member nmfire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Posts
    5,738

    Default

    A bag such as this is what I would suggest:

    http://www.thefirestore.com/store/pr..._response_bag/
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

  9. #9
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Statesville NC
    Posts
    77

    Default

    And make sure you get a regulator for it. i dont know how many times ive been on calls and someone arrives before us with a o2 tank without a regulator.

  10. #10
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,802

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EGregory View Post
    When you say First Responder, do you mean NREMT or State Certified Medical First Responder or do you mean it as in "I am a firefighter therefore I am one of the first to respond and commonly referred to as a "First Responder"."

    If you are a Certified Medical First Responder and you've never been taught the basics of storing and transporting medical oxygen then you probably need to ask for a refund on the first responder course. That just seems to me like one of the basic skills you should have been taught. If you "Have no knowledge of storing oxygen" then how do you even know it's stored safely on your rigs?

    If you are not a certified medical first responder, you might want to check with your department, your local ems and your state's laws. In my state unless you are a certified first responder acting under the auspices of the primary emergency medical organization in the state administering oxygen is a no-no.
    My CFR and EMTB classes never went over the specifics of storing oxygen in POVs.Guess I should ask for a refund

  11. #11
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Green Bay
    Posts
    1,031

    Default

    And I suppose you also have a prescription by your services medical director to carry such oxygen as well, correct? Oxygen IS a medication and it is prescribed, which is why you just can't go to the drug store and pick up a bottle of O2. This means you just can't arbitrarily tote around a bottle of O2 in your POV because you are a first responder, such a thing needs to be approved and signed off on.

    My suggestion is unless you are absolutely sure you can carry O2 in your POV and you are carrying the medication prescription for it, I would suggest just forgetting about carrying O2 in your POV.
    The thoughts and opinions posted here are mine and mine alone and do not reflect the thoughts and or views of city or dept affiliation.

  12. #12
    Forum Member nmfire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Posts
    5,738

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jccrabby3084 View Post
    And I suppose you also have a prescription by your services medical director to carry such oxygen as well, correct? Oxygen IS a medication and it is prescribed, which is why you just can't go to the drug store and pick up a bottle of O2. This means you just can't arbitrarily tote around a bottle of O2 in your POV because you are a first responder, such a thing needs to be approved and signed off on.

    My suggestion is unless you are absolutely sure you can carry O2 in your POV and you are carrying the medication prescription for it, I would suggest just forgetting about carrying O2 in your POV.
    Most places have this well taken care of and POV EMS kits are norm, not the exception or the one wacker. He's just asking how to best carry it safely. No need to get all crabby about it.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

  13. #13
    MembersZone Subscriber LVFD301's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3,922

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tree68 View Post
    Oxygen by itself is non-flammable... It is, however an oxidizer (or should we say the oxidizer). If you were to light a match in an oxygen-rich atmosphere, the match would burn really fast, but there would be no explosion.

    Like NMFIRE says - stored properly, it's not a hazard, even if the vehicle gets hot (there's a relief mechanism for that). I'd worry more about that can of shaving creme....

    Failures of O2 cylinders in fires are extraordinary events.

    Agreeing with EGregory - oxygen is considered a drug/medication. It needs to be handled as such, even if you can go into an "oxygen bar" in Japan and get some nicely scented O2 for a small remittance....

    Oxygen bars are catching on here in the US also. The gift shop at Pikes Peak has an 02 station with scented O2 also!

  14. #14
    MembersZone Subscriber LVFD301's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3,922

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jccrabby3084 View Post
    And I suppose you also have a prescription by your services medical director to carry such oxygen as well, correct? Oxygen IS a medication and it is prescribed, which is why you just can't go to the drug store and pick up a bottle of O2. This means you just can't arbitrarily tote around a bottle of O2 in your POV because you are a first responder, such a thing needs to be approved and signed off on.

    My suggestion is unless you are absolutely sure you can carry O2 in your POV and you are carrying the medication prescription for it, I would suggest just forgetting about carrying O2 in your POV.

    Damn....

    I carry 02 under standing orders from our medical director, I do NOT carry a prescription, nor have I ever been asked for such. Of course, I have only been in EMS since the days of caddilac ambulances so my experience may be limited.

    And buying o2 is simple, without a prescription. Over the net there are hundreds of suppliers that will send you a complete kit as long as your credit card is good.

    They guy is just asking for a little info...

  15. #15
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jccrabby3084 View Post
    And I suppose you also have a prescription by your services medical director to carry such oxygen as well, correct? Oxygen IS a medication and it is prescribed, which is why you just can't go to the drug store and pick up a bottle of O2. This means you just can't arbitrarily tote around a bottle of O2 in your POV because you are a first responder, such a thing needs to be approved and signed off on.

    My suggestion is unless you are absolutely sure you can carry O2 in your POV and you are carrying the medication prescription for it, I would suggest just forgetting about carrying O2 in your POV.

    Look, I was just asking for information on storing it. I didn't ask you to tell me if I can. I know the law. I know what I can and cannot do. Thanks and have a great day.

  16. #16
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Green Bay
    Posts
    1,031

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nmfire View Post
    Most places have this well taken care of and POV EMS kits are norm, not the exception or the one wacker. He's just asking how to best carry it safely. No need to get all crabby about it.
    The point I'm making here is that there can be more to the picture which should be looked into first, to know even if one can do so.
    The thoughts and opinions posted here are mine and mine alone and do not reflect the thoughts and or views of city or dept affiliation.

  17. #17
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Green Bay
    Posts
    1,031

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LVFD301 View Post
    Damn....

    I carry 02 under standing orders from our medical director, I do NOT carry a prescription, nor have I ever been asked for such. Of course, I have only been in EMS since the days of caddilac ambulances so my experience may be limited.

    And buying o2 is simple, without a prescription. Over the net there are hundreds of suppliers that will send you a complete kit as long as your credit card is good.

    They guy is just asking for a little info...

    Standing orders are that which means the approval to carry has been given. The fact remains the service itself must have a prescription in order to carry ANY medication, including oxygen. Just like our ambulances we have the meds we carry etc and while we don't personally carry a prescription, the service itself does. Those standing orders thus define how to operate and what to carry etc.


    Sure one can buy anything damn near over the internet, so what? There however is a huge difference in some O2 for one's own personal use and that of someone who wants to use said stuff on strangers under the guise of "helping" yet doing so without proper authorization. I'm pretty sure that medical legal aspect stuff has been around since the days of cadillac ambulances.

    Yes, he was asking for a little info, a little info in which I indulged some additional information others were not mentioning.
    The thoughts and opinions posted here are mine and mine alone and do not reflect the thoughts and or views of city or dept affiliation.

  18. #18
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jccrabby3084 View Post
    Standing orders are that which means the approval to carry has been given. The fact remains the service itself must have a prescription in order to carry ANY medication, including oxygen. Just like our ambulances we have the meds we carry etc and while we don't personally carry a prescription, the service itself does. Those standing orders thus define how to operate and what to carry etc.


    Sure one can buy anything damn near over the internet, so what? There however is a huge difference in some O2 for one's own personal use and that of someone who wants to use said stuff on strangers under the guise of "helping" yet doing so without proper authorization. I'm pretty sure that medical legal aspect stuff has been around since the days of cadillac ambulances.

    Yes, he was asking for a little info, a little info in which I indulged some additional information others were not mentioning.

    I understand your trying to help. Your right, im going to check into it. Guess i got a little carried away.. lol Thanks bud!

  19. #19
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Green Bay
    Posts
    1,031

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Firefighter View Post
    Look, I was just asking for information on storing it. I didn't ask you to tell me if I can. I know the law. I know what I can and cannot do. Thanks and have a great day.
    That's good you know the law, however, how am I, or anyone else here know that for sure? You asked a question on the net, which is filled with all types of people and all types of backgrounds, experience levels and so forth. It is not uncommon to see such a post from some gung ho newbie or some kid who thinks they are going to save the world and carry everything under the sun with them. The fact remains that even to carry such a thing as O2 in a POV means there has to be authorization and a service prescription to do so.

    Quite frankly a service can be first responder and not carry O2 with the equipment, yet a member could go to higher cert level like an EMT-B and thus believe they can carry something seeminly simple as O2. If the service can't do so, then a person affiliated with the service can't either. Another example is that as a paramedic, I can not go back to my old dept and do ALS skills if I was working on their ambulance since they are a basic service.
    The thoughts and opinions posted here are mine and mine alone and do not reflect the thoughts and or views of city or dept affiliation.

  20. #20
    MembersZone Subscriber LVFD301's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3,922

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jccrabby3084 View Post

    Yes, he was asking for a little info, a little info in which I indulged some additional information others were not mentioning.
    LOL... And I thought *I* was a dick....

    I would like to think that some people are adults once and a while and he already has approval and other issues worked out.

    I am going to go to the engineer forum, there is a discussion there about using dump tanks, I am going to remind everyone they need to have drivers licenses and insurance before driving the tankers.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Red Light on POV in NY
    By NoCoFire in forum Emergency Vehicle Operations
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 07-08-2011, 12:38 AM
  2. Ohio Department Out of Service due to Lack in Oxygen
    By MemphisE34a in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 01-08-2011, 06:03 PM
  3. arriving POV
    By monkybrainz in forum Volunteer Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-16-2010, 02:41 PM
  4. oxygen tanks in POV
    By 900Chief in forum North Carolina
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-28-2005, 11:40 AM
  5. World Of Fire Report: 03-26-04
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-27-2004, 09:06 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts