Thread: Pierce Layoffs

  1. #1
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    So of Can. / N. of Mexico
    Posts
    869

  2. #2
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    224

    Default

    Always makes sense: Buy a new division ( snozzle), and get an exclusive right to another ( Bronto) then lay off workers...

    Just for giggles, I'll blame it on all the Pierce haters for driving away customers, lol

  3. #3
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    a big city
    Posts
    50

    Default

    Pierce is losing a lot of business to Crimson, Ferrara, and Rosenbauer.

  4. #4
    Forum Member
    Rescue101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Bridgton,Me USA
    Posts
    8,162

    Default

    You mean SOMEBODY is listening?

  5. #5
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    122

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    You mean SOMEBODY is listening?
    Regardless, I hate to see anyone lose their job......

  6. #6
    Forum Member
    FIREMECH1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    HUSKER LAND
    Posts
    2,425

    Default

    How do you detox from kool-aide???
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

    Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

  7. #7
    Forum Member
    Rescue101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Bridgton,Me USA
    Posts
    8,162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FIREMECH1 View Post
    How do you detox from kool-aide???
    You let your life get Rosie,hehe T.C.

  8. #8
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    630

    Default

    You do realize that this layoff is miniscule, right?

  9. #9
    Forum Member
    Rescue101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Bridgton,Me USA
    Posts
    8,162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by firepundit View Post
    You do realize that this layoff is miniscule, right?
    If you're NOT one of those laid off I suppose. T.C.

  10. #10
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ladderman View Post
    Pierce is losing a lot of business to Crimson, Ferrara, and Rosenbauer.
    Lmao, We can hardly get a response from those companies.

  11. #11
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    79

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bruce355 View Post
    Lmao, We can hardly get a response from those companies.
    You may not be contacting the correct person, or not trying at all.

  12. #12
    Forum Member
    SFD_E73_RET's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    KC area
    Posts
    305

    Default

    So is Pierce going to claim they invented the lay off?

  13. #13
    Forum Member
    Rescue101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Bridgton,Me USA
    Posts
    8,162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SFD_E73_RET View Post
    So is Pierce going to claim they invented the lay off?
    Nope,just PERFECTED it,hehe T.C.

  14. #14
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Woodbridge Twp , New Jersey
    Posts
    492

    Post Economy !

    Sure Pierce Mfg. builds a good truck, but they are over priced compared to other builders. Why pay $ 600k for a pumper when it could be built with the same specs for $500K from a smaller company. With todays economy hitting rock bottom, fire departments, and cities can not afford to spend extra for a apparatus just for a "brand name" !

  15. #15
    Forum Member
    Rescue101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Bridgton,Me USA
    Posts
    8,162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bruce355 View Post
    Lmao, We can hardly get a response from those companies.
    Sounds like PIERCE with us.CAN'T get a response. T.C.

  16. #16
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    198

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    Sounds like PIERCE with us.CAN'T get a response. T.C.
    they can't get a responce cause they are to drunk on the kool-aid

  17. #17
    Forum Member
    FWDbuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Pee-Ayy!
    Posts
    7,416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FIREMECH1 View Post
    How do you detox from kool-aide???
    1. You are strapped into the most non-paraded-out, non-chromed, non bells-and-whistles and basic "working man's truck" you can find.

    2. As you break out into a cold sweat, a set of generic truck specifications (not written around Piece) is blotted against your skin, and rubbed vigorously into your head, so that you absorb the generic specs by osmosis.....

    3. Now, as you writhe in pain and discomfort, your jaw is forced open and water from the tank of the non-paraded-out, non-chromed, non bells-and-whistles and basic "working man's truck is poured into your mouth, and you are forced to swallow it.

    Once you have completed this basic detox, you attend the 12-step program.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

  18. #18
    Forum Member
    FiremanLyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    948

    Default

    Sad see the layoff. Are the layoffs on the production line or management that was not needed anymore in the Snorkle and Bronto companies?

    Last trip up to Appleton, the yard was near empty. They were still cranking out what they had going, but production levels, I am sure for most companies, was down.

    Quote Originally Posted by WoodbridgeFFII View Post
    Sure Pierce Mfg. builds a good truck, but they are over priced compared to other builders. Why pay $ 600k for a pumper when it could be built with the same specs for $500K from a smaller company. With todays economy hitting rock bottom, fire departments, and cities can not afford to spend extra for a apparatus just for a "brand name" !
    What the hell are you buying for $600K? We feilded two fantastic engines for around $450K each past two years. Impel cabs, 1250 pumps with Huskey auto CAFS, all LED lights. Best damn engine I have been on. It is all about getting the specs right, you spec it for what you need, keep the cost down and get a great engine. I'll drop the link so you can see what a great engine you get for under 1/2 million.

    http://www.piercemfg.com/en/experien...nt-Pumper.aspx
    ~Drew
    Firefighter/EMT/Technical Rescue
    USAR TF Rescue Specialist

  19. #19
    Forum Member
    FIREMECH1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    HUSKER LAND
    Posts
    2,425

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    1. You are strapped into the most non-paraded-out, non-chromed, non bells-and-whistles and basic "working man's truck" you can find.

    2. As you break out into a cold sweat, a set of generic truck specifications (not written around Piece) is blotted against your skin, and rubbed vigorously into your head, so that you absorb the generic specs by osmosis.....

    3. Now, as you writhe in pain and discomfort, your jaw is forced open and water from the tank of the non-paraded-out, non-chromed, non bells-and-whistles and basic "working man's truck is poured into your mouth, and you are forced to swallow it.

    Once you have completed this basic detox, you attend the 12-step program.
    How about everytime I see my 2 "adopted" Pierces, I just vomit?? And if I don't automatically, I make myself vomit???

    Either way, it's a win.

    FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

    Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

  20. #20
    Forum Member
    IR1man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FIREMECH1 View Post
    How about everytime I see my 2 "adopted" Pierces, I just vomit?? And if I don't automatically, I make myself vomit???

    Either way, it's a win.

    FM1
    These comments don't contribute at all to THIS thread. If I desired to read these pointed opinions, I would go and review any other Apparatus related thread. Given the state of the overall Emergency Market (ALL MFGs) and economy in general these comments lack respct for the situation.

    Hope the best for all of those people and their families from all MFGs feeling the heavy burden of a slow industry.

  21. #21
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    140

    Default

    I feel it's just a matter of time with this economy that all the manufactures big and small are feeling the hurt with layoffs or shortened work weeks. Hopefully it will all turn around around for everybody.

    Has anyone had a truck on order recently where the delivery was delayed due to layoffs or shortened work weeks?

  22. #22
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    2,065

    Default

    The one silver lining I see , is we may see more (types of )"plain jane" type engines being offered.
    ?

  23. #23
    Forum Member
    islandfire03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,631

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
    The one silver lining I see , is we may see more (types of )"plain jane" type engines being offered.
    Most manufacturers have offered plain jane working trucks all along. Dealers and manufacturers make more profit on all the unneeded crap. With the economy in good shape many departments wanted a tricked out parade truck that was just a little bigger and shinier than their neighbors, and they had the funding to waste.

    Nowadays with the economy in the toilet , it's going to few and far between that you see all the overpriced parade dressing put on a truck. The added cost can be over 50 thousand dollars for niceties that don't make a truck fight fire any better,& require a lot of extra work to keep shiny.

  24. #24
    Forum Member
    FWDbuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Pee-Ayy!
    Posts
    7,416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by islandfire03 View Post
    Most manufacturers have offered plain jane working trucks all along. Dealers and manufacturers make more profit on all the unneeded crap. With the economy in good shape many departments wanted a tricked out parade truck that was just a little bigger and shinier than their neighbors, and they had the funding to waste.

    Nowadays with the economy in the toilet , it's going to few and far between that you see all the overpriced parade dressing put on a truck. The added cost can be over 50 thousand dollars for niceties that don't make a truck fight fire any better,& require a lot of extra work to keep shiny.
    Come spend a day riding around with me in Southeastern Pa. If chromed-out parade pieces is how you want to gauge the economy, then we are in the black and everyone is lighting their cigars with $50 dollar bills. I could take you into any of about 30 firehouses and your eyes would pop out of your head.
    Last edited by FWDbuff; 05-17-2011 at 09:25 PM.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

  25. #25
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    630

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IR1man View Post
    These comments don't contribute at all to THIS thread. If I desired to read these pointed opinions, I would go and review any other Apparatus related thread. Given the state of the overall Emergency Market (ALL MFGs) and economy in general these comments lack respct for the situation.

    Hope the best for all of those people and their families from all MFGs feeling the heavy burden of a slow industry.
    Oh, but it is Pierce bashing, don'tcha know. It is the local sport. But, its a heck of a lot easier to hurl insults to those that buy their product than it is to simply say, "Hey, other people build truck too!"

    Full disclosure for the playground "Kool Aid" name callers: I work for a competitor of Pierce. Get that through your heads.

    By the way, every time you Pierce bashers get rabid you are insulting the people who are buying them. As a general rule I have found that insulting people, rather than reasoned discourse, only alienates people.

    That would explain why this forum used to be a good place to find information and now is a pit of whiners and bashers. Eventually the people that actually have something to contribute leave and we are left with the whiners.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Your Ideal Fleet
    By viperfire1 in forum Apparatus Innovation
    Replies: 103
    Last Post: 01-16-2011, 10:37 PM
  2. Pierce Problems IFS
    By blueflame in forum Apparatus Innovation
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-23-2007, 12:03 AM
  3. Why Pierce is the Best Choice
    By Firefighter807 in forum Apparatus Innovation
    Replies: 270
    Last Post: 10-04-2007, 07:38 PM
  4. New Pierce Delivery - Hmmmmm...
    By Firefighter807 in forum Apparatus Innovation
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 05-28-2007, 07:53 PM
  5. Delayed Cleveland Layoffs
    By tyler101 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-06-2003, 09:57 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register