Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default What can I do to make up for my driving history.

Everyone has excuses to why they recieved a speeding ticket or traffic violation, i'll make a long story short. How can I resolve these issues that I have in my past driving record?

When I was 17 I was cited for driving 72 in a 55 mph zone. Paid the ticket in full.

When I was 18 I parked in front of a handicap ramp on a street and got cited a $300 ticket. The officer never showed up and the ticket was thrown out.

Fast forward this year (21) in february.
    83 in a 60(65?)mph. Officer kindly changed it to a 65mph in a 60.
    Now just last night around one am on the interstate I was driving and got cited a speeding ticket for a 75mph in a 60mph. A few miles after it went from 70-60.

Obviously even I can see a pattern here, any background investigator can see the problem as well.

I know that during the hiring process there are 4k other applicants with a clean driving record that I have to work against. In what ways other than TIME, can I have this become a lesser magnitude in the hiring process.

I have no criminal convictions and volunteer(non fire) during my freetime. I just had a captains interview as well as a few interviews in the near future coming up and I can't afford to sit on my butt and wait 5 years for departments to look past it. Its already happened and i'am trying to move forward from this.

Forum Member

You've pretty much answered your own questions. If insurance companies will raise your rates for at least the next three years, why would a fire department-paying more for insurance already-take a risk in hiring you during that same three years? In fact, its probably not even in the department's control. Their insurance company may not let them hire applicants with x amount of moving violations in the past n years.

I'm shooting straight. My record is far from clean but I know how long I have to wait to be hired, if at all. Have a back up plan and get your next degree; preferably in something non-fire related
    Last edited by FDNYPD; 05-14-2011 at 12:52 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fieronfire View Post
    Everyone has excuses to why they recieved a speeding ticket or traffic violation, i'll make a long story short. How can I resolve these issues that I have in my past driving record?

When I was 17 I was cited for driving 72 in a 55 mph zone. Paid the ticket in full.

When I was 18 I parked in front of a handicap ramp on a street and got cited a $300 ticket. The officer never showed up and the ticket was thrown out.

Now just last night around one am on the interstate I was driving and got cited a speeding ticket for a 75mph in a 60mph. A few miles after it went from 70-60.

Obviously even I can see a pattern here, any background investigator can see the problem as well.

I know that during the hiring process there are 4k other applicants with a clean driving record that I have to work against. In what ways other than TIME, can I have this become a lesser magnitude in the hiring process.

I have no criminal convictions and volunteer(non fire) during my freetime. I just had a captains interview as well as a few interviews in the near future coming up and I can't afford to sit on my butt and wait 5 years for departments to look past it. Its already happened and i'am trying to move forward from this.
    Stop breaking the speed limit! Drive responsibly. Pretty simple, other than that, I don't know if any departments in your area use the points list for offenses, but it sounds like you might be at the cutoff or past it

Well I must say that this is refreshing. Most people who ask these questions are wondering how things like felony assault, crack use, multiple DUI's, resisting arrest, and grand theft will effect their chances of getting hired. If the only thing you've done is proceed with the flow of traffic, I'll take you.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Default Speeding

Time is your only friend. Like what was said prior....slow down and no more tickets. NMFIRE is correct...I'd take you also over the others (felonies,drug users and such). Good Luck.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

So let me get this straight...

72/55 four years ago (possibly 2 points-most states will drop a civil speeding infraction after 3 year, this may not even be a factor)

Parking ticket (thrown out, no points)

65/60 this year (2 points)

75/60 last night (2 points)

So your pretty much working with two civil speeding tickets here, assuming that your ticket from four years ago has fallen off your driving record. Honestly, not a huge deal. First things first, what state are you in? Do they allow traffic school? May be a way to take care of that most recent one right away. As for the other one, only time will help with that one.

Pull your driving record and find out exactly what your dealing with, most departments will only look back 3 years or so barring that you have no DUI's, reckless driving, criminal speeding. Once you know what youre dealing with you can afford to be 100% honest on your app, in your interviews and during your background check.

I wouldnt stress about this too much, it may only effect you if it comes down to you and another canidate, with the other canidate having a clean driving record.

My advice, smoke your interviews and slow your roll brother!

Forum Member

Slow down

You are going to speed yourself out if a job

Have you done a defensive driving class in the last year--- that might look good to fo one and submit it

Forum Member

Time is on your side

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine3982 View Post
    So let me get this straight...

72/55 four years ago (possibly 2 points-most states will drop a civil speeding infraction after 3 year, this may not even be a factor)

Parking ticket (thrown out, no points)

65/60 this year (2 points)

75/60 last night (2 points)

So your pretty much working with two civil speeding tickets here, assuming that your ticket from four years ago has fallen off your driving record. Honestly, not a huge deal. First things first, what state are you in? Do they allow traffic school? May be a way to take care of that most recent one right away. As for the other one, only time will help with that one.

Pull your driving record and find out exactly what your dealing with, most departments will only look back 3 years or so barring that you have no DUI's, reckless driving, criminal speeding. Once you know what youre dealing with you can afford to be 100% honest on your app, in your interviews and during your background check.

I wouldnt stress about this too much, it may only effect you if it comes down to you and another canidate, with the other canidate having a clean driving record.

My advice, smoke your interviews and slow your roll brother!
    Thanks for all the advice you guys, I feared I had ruined my chances for these mistakes for good. Also I got pulled over for expired tags in one of my project cars, I couldn't find the insurance card so I got a ticket for tags and no insurance, and then I foolishly missed ny court date. So I just finished paying off $500 fine, but now I'm thinking that will show up on my record also as me driving illegally..

I will look into a defensive driving course as well as maybe some way to volunteer at schools or teach people about speeding.

Thanks for all the advice you guys, I feared I had ruined my chances for these mistakes for good. Also I got pulled over for expired tags in one of my project cars, I couldn't find the insurance card so I got a ticket for tags and no insurance, and then I foolishly missed ny court date. So I just finished paying off $500 fine, but now I'm thinking that will show up on my record also as me driving illegally..

I will look into a defensive driving course as well as maybe some way to volunteer at schools or teach people about speeding.
    I dont truly know you, so dont take this the wrong way...but it sounds like you need to get you life in order bub. The fire department likes to hire people that have got their crap together. Responsability and accountability are huge in the fire service. Most people on a hiring board would probably look at your driving record and court history and presume that other areas of your life may not be in order.

I understand that your only 21 and ill tell you when i was your age, i was getting into trouble for the same stuff. Fortunately i didnt start chasing after my dream until I was about 24, I was hired full time when I was 28 and probably wasnt ready to be a firefighter anytime before that.

You have time on your side. Go to school, get a degree and keep your nose and driving record clean. This is hands down the best profession in the world and is worth every moment i spent trying to get hired.

Forum Member

Ahhh another "skeleton" in your closet. Your choice of depts to get hired on you can probably cound on your hands...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by OHFirestopper View Post
    Ahhh another "skeleton" in your closet. Your choice of depts to get hired on you can probably cound on your hands...
    Well that is "all" of my record there. I'm accepting responsibility and all the criticism that entails, I understand that I have made myself unhirable to some departments. I want to move in the direction to put these things behind me, so far all the advice has been good and well merited.

Forum Member

First of all, I want to 3rd what NMfire said. At least you don't have any domestic violence charges like a bunch of the other people on here. Speeding charges, especially if you weren't charged with reckless, is probably not a huge deal.

Also, it's great that you want to be proactive. To that end, I would look into getting as many driving classes as you can. Take a defensive driving class definitely. If you have the option, get your CDL C (it's not too hard) and take an Emergency Vehicle Operators Course. I'm no expert, but I would assume that if you can point to a whole bunch of driving qualifications that you've gotten since the mistakes, you might be okay. Most importantly, though, make sure you don't have any more moving violations!

Forum Member

Dude,

Everyone on these forums, not just FH but in general, love to tell you you can't do something and 6 billion people are trying to get a fire job and why should we hire you mentality with a few speeding tickets and your other conviction, blah blah blah. I know tons of people who have gotten hired with way worse stuff in their history including DUI's. I'm not advocating going down to the corner store and getting a couple of 40's and getting behind the wheel or beating up a hooker but no worries man. You can find dept's that will hire you just have a good explanation and change your behavior. My investigator told me that people who chase after fire jobs have personalities that tend to take more risks when they're younger. I thankfully have not had to explain away a DUI but i'm sure it's not fun. My one piece of advice to you is I see you're 21. Don't drink and drive bro. Take a cab, sleep in a bush (my personal favorite), do anything but drive. My cab last night cost $60 bucks but hey I didn't have to worry about a DUI following me around for the rest of my life.

Good Luck Bro

QFE...

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Smith View Post
    Dude,

Everyone on these forums, not just FH but in general, love to tell you you can't do something and 6 billion people are trying to get a fire job and why should we hire you mentality with a few speeding tickets and your other conviction, blah blah blah. I know tons of people who have gotten hired with way worse stuff in their history including DUI's. I'm not advocating going down to the corner store and getting a couple of 40's and getting behind the wheel or beating up a hooker but no worries man. You can find dept's that will hire you just have a good explanation and change your behavior. My investigator told me that people who chase after fire jobs have personalities that tend to take more risks when they're younger. I thankfully have not had to explain away a DUI but i'm sure it's not fun. My one piece of advice to you is I see you're 21. Don't drink and drive bro. Take a cab, sleep in a bush (my personal favorite), do anything but drive. My cab last night cost $60 bucks but hey I didn't have to worry about a DUI following me around for the rest of my life.

Good Luck Bro
    Been there! Done that!

Forum Member

Well the first thing you can do is to slow down. Your lack of respect for established rules is going to hurt you. Driving too fast is bad enough, but even worse in my book is parking in front of a handicapped spot. It's important to note that you are going into a profession that helps people in their time of need. That's why this one resonates so much with me.

You have established a pattern. Each subsequent event reinforces the pattern. The best thing you can do is to break the pattern. The only way to do this is with time. The longer the better in your case.

Additionally, you will most likely not be able to get hired as an EMT due to your driving record. At least that's the way it is in California. There will be those who tell you that you can do anything you set a goal for (I too believe that), however this may be out of your control as no Fire Chief wants to take a chance on someone who is going to put the department in a bad light. It's up to you to convince us that you are not a risk. Again, time is your best friend.
    Paul Lepore
    Division Chief
    Aspiringfirefighters.com
    AspiringFireOfficers.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Most departments look at a 2-4 year driving record, and want no more than 3-4 moving violations in that time frame. If you are still eligible to do traffic school for any of your more recent violations, do it. I did and it made me eligible in the most recent recruitment I was a part of. Just make sure you follow up on it so the DMV or whatever in your state removes the violation from your record. That, and stop driving so fast! If you want to be a firefighter, you have to obey the law, we are public servants. And if you get violations in the future, do traffic school as soon as your eligible. Part of growing up bud.

Thread Information