Thread: Axes

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Axes

I know there are a lot of threads about axes. And I don't care if you like a flat or pick headed axe. I was just wonders whats the best way to clean maintain your axe heads. Also how do you guys clean the paint off the heads of new or panted axes? Thanks in advance.

Forum Member

WD40 + wire brush/wire wheel/steel wool depending on the level of junk on it.

I know some people aren't too hot on the wire wheels but it works well, especially for getting paint off.

MembersZone Subscriber

Yea the wire wheel works wonders if your tools have been neglected for a few years and you need to De rust and repaint them. Just don't make the edge too sharp if you sharpen it as it will stick into whatever you decide needs to be demolished next time you do so.

Here is a better question. how do you clean jetaxe? O_o

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

I use a right angle grinder with a wire cup attachment. I use a file to dress the blade, and like was said by someone else, not to sharp. A firefighter axe is a striking tool more than a cutting tool. Once the blade is dressed we spray them with CRC Industrial SP-400 Corrosion Inhibitor.

The SP-400 is kind of like a spray on wax. It is best applied in multiple light coats allowing each coat to dry before applying another. I usually apply 2 coats and allow about a half hour inbetween coats. It has worked very well in reducing rust and corrosion on our tools even in the harsh snow and salt winters of urban Wisconsin.

(Just to cover my ***, NO, I don't sell CRC products. I just use this product and it works well for us.)
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

MembersZone Subscriber

a hearty heck ya! for the jetaxe!

the things about fire tools is they will bind more when you paint them. axes should not have paint on them in my opinion.

files are best due to not heating the metal inconsistantly and making the steel chip less. is it a huge deal if you grind.... not really but best practice is hand files.

we use a light coating of motor oil on the unpainted metal blades. wd-40 is a solvent, good for loosening rusty bolts and lifting rust but it is a terrible lube (infact it is never been intended to be a long term lubricant). oil is cheap and works well.
    Originally Posted by madden01
    "and everyone is encouraged to use Plain, Spelled Out English. I thought this was covered in NIMS training."

Forum Member

Wire brush on the bench grinder. WD-40 to clean up any rust. Then file the edge and spray paint the head until about an inch from the edge.

Funny you should ask, just redid 3 axes yesterday at work. But those needed new handles too.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Wire Brush and scotch brite pad.

We will use a wire brush cup that goes in a drill, if it is really bad.

No paint!!!! If i have to spend all that time taking the paint off because some moron painted it after i finished it. i am going to be ****ed!

Motor Oil on the bare metal to prevent rust.

Wood handles we use sand paper sand it smooth and then scrap it with a wood scraper for a very smooth finish. Follow it up with linseed oil.

Does anybody know of a good way to clean fiberglass handles?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFD21C View Post
    Yeah you take a hacksaw and remove the head from the handle then drill out the head.

Personally can't stand the fiberglass axes. Just spent a few hours taking fiberglass handles off and wood ones on the other day.
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by RFD21C View Post
    We don't have any fiberglass handled axes so I've never tried this, but I'd suggest some fine sandpaper, then re-seal it with fiberglass resin (available at any boating store), since you'll probably free up some of the glass filaments. It might take a couple of coats to make things nice and smooth. Follow the directions for handling the resin.

Stencilling your department/unit on before applying the resin would make those markings pretty much permanent.

I'll gladly stand corrected if somebody's had a bad experience with that type of treatment.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the reply's guys it all pretty much the same as I do. I am also not a fan of the fireberglass handles. I like wood pluss when it get dirts and dinged up just sand it down and lineseed oil and your good to go.
    Last edited by giweff; 06-28-2011 at 09:35 AM. Reason: i messed up

Thread Information