Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Losap

Forum Member

Default Losap

Has your state passed legislation that authorizes LOSAP? We had a blog in a local newspaper state that NY was the only state to allow this. I thought I had seen it in other states, but wanted to have it confirmed. Thanks.
    Stephen J Bourassa
    Latham FD (NY)
    member since 1969
    challenge competitor since 1993

Uh... what is LOSAP?
    "The nation which forgets its defenders will be itself forgotten." - (John) Calvin Coolidge
    "Speed is not a good alternative to lack of knowledge." -armymedic571

MembersZone Subscriber

Length of service awards

New Jersey has it.

I think I have about 15k in mine right now.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Ah, well they have longevity pay at some agencies here. Once you reach a certain time in service you receive a annual bonus check that increases each year.
    "The nation which forgets its defenders will be itself forgotten." - (John) Calvin Coolidge
    "Speed is not a good alternative to lack of knowledge." -armymedic571

Minnesota has had it for years, as I understand it. MD has it.

We're trying to get NY to allow a county-wide/county-financed program - something not currently allowed.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up And..........

Maryland was one of the First States for L.O.S.A.P. to catch on, Starting in the early 80s....... Here, Each County's LOSAP System is totally separate from each other, which is good or bad, depending on your viewpoint. On one hand, there actually are a few folks who get a check from more than one County. On the other hand, if someone moves to another part of the state, their time in the first dept doesn't transfer to the next one, Unless they are in the same county. Most places start with $250.00/month when you have 25 years of active service AND reach age 50. There are some variations, such as additional money for additional years of service......
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

I just joined my local VFC in MD and I'm unclear how LOSAP points work. How do you accumulate them?

Talk to your leadership - they have the specifics.

Generally speaking, activity is how you gather points. Make your points, get credit for the year.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Forum Member

This is a cut and paste from a Legislative Brief when the program was introduced in Wisconsin. In a nutshell it is a state supported pension for volunteer firefighters and EMT's.

from the Wisconsin Legislative Reference Bureau Legislative Briefs
    Legislative Brief 00–8 October 2000
    SERVICE AWARDS FOR VOLUNTEER FIRE FIGHTERS AND EMERGENCY MEDICAL TECHNICIANS

1999 Wisconsin Act 105, passed by the legislature and signed by Governor Thompson on April 25, 2000, created a service award program for volunteer fire fighters and emergency medical technicians (EMT). The program offers a type of pension plan to reward volunteers for their length of service to a community, and, to the extent possible, the awards will be designed as a tax-deferred benefit under the Internal Revenue Code. Under the plan, participating municipalities make contributions to the individual’s account, and the state matches the amount, up to a specified annual limit. The program is scheduled to begin operation during the state’s 2001-02 fiscal year, which starts on July 1, 2001.
    SERVICE AWARD BOARD
    The program will be administered by the Volunteer Fire Fighter and Emergency Medical Technician Service Award Board, which is attached to the Department of Administration (DOA) under Section 15.03, Wisconsin Statutes. Board members include the Secretary of Administration, or the secretary’s designee, and the following seven members, appointed by the governor for staggered 3-year terms:

One volunteer fire fighter who is a member of a statewide organization
    that represents fire chiefs.

One volunteer fire fighter who is a member of a statewide organization
    that represents volunteer fire fighters.

One volunteer EMT.

Three representatives of municipalities that operate volunteer fire
    departments or contract with volunteer fire companies.

One member with experience in financial planning.
    In appointing the members, the governor must seek representation from different regions of the state and from municipalities of different sizes.

Program Administration. The board is required to promulgate administrative rules for the operation of the service awards program. It certifies qualified private individuals or organizations and contracts with them to provide investment plans and administrative services for the program.

The board must establish procedures for appeal of decisions by DOA or plan providers that substantially affect the interests of individual participants. It is also required to submit annual reports to the legislature. The Legislative Audit Bureau must complete a performance evaluation audit of the program by February 1, 2006.

MUNICIPAL AND STATE CONTRIBUTIONS
    Any city, village, or town that operates a volunteer fire department, contracts with a volunteer fire company, or authorizes volunteer EMTs to provide emergency medical services in the municipality is eligible to participate in the service award program. The contributionsmade by the state and the municipality on the volunteer’s behalf are paid directly to the plan provider selected by the community from among those under contract to the service award board. Municipalities may annually contribute whatever amount they wish to an individual’s account, but the state’s match is limited to the figure legally allowed for a particular year. The initial maximum state match will be $250 per account per year, but the limit will be adjusted annually for inflation.
    The law created a cap on the state’s participation by stipulating that the total appropriation for matching funds cannot exceed $2 million in any fiscal year. If the appropriated amount is insufficient to fully match municipal contributions in a particular fiscal year, the board will prorate the funds available among all eligible accounts.

ELIGIBILITY AND PAYOUT RULES
    Full and Partial Awards. All service awards are paid in a lump sum or another manner specified by the board, such as an annuity. Full awards will be paid to participants who have served at least 20 years and attained the age of 60. The amount of the award consists of all municipal and state contributions made on behalf of the participant and all earnings on the contributions, less any expenses incurred by the investment plan administrator.

Partial awards will be paid out to vested participants who have less than 20 years of service for a municipality when they reach age 60 or who have 20 years of service but wish to receive their awards prior to reaching age 60. (Generally, volunteer fire fighters and EMTs must serve 10 years before they are vested in the program.)

Purchasing Additional Years of Service. Municipalities may purchase additional years of service to be counted for vesting purposes on behalf of participants who have at least five years of service. The number of additional years purchased may not exceed the number of years of service actually performed by the participant for that municipality.
    Awards for Deceased or Disabled Participants. If a volunteer dies in the line of duty, the designated beneficiary will be entitled to the participant’s full award. Participants who become disabled during their period of service are eligible for an award in an amount to be determined by the board. The law does not state explicitly whether the disability must be duty-related.

Forfeited Accounts. A nonvested individual forfeits all accrued years of service under the program if he or she ceases providing services for a municipality for a period of six months or more, unless granted an official leave of absence. Money in closed or forfeited accounts will be allocated by the board to the accounts of active participants.

FOR MORE INFORMATION
    For information about the service award program, contact the Department of Administration at (608) 261-6580.
    Copies of 1999 Wisconsin Act 105 or Sections 13.94 (1) (q), 15.105 (26), 16.25, 20.505 (4) (ec), and 20.505 (4) (er), Wisconsin Statutes, may be downloaded at http://www.le-gis.state.wi.us/1999/d...s/99Act105.pdf or obtained by calling the Legislative Reference Bureau at (608) 266-0342.
    Prepared by Daniel F. Ritsche, Legislative Analyst

Thumbs up And..........

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteknight View Post
    I just joined my local VFC in MD and I'm unclear how LOSAP points work. How do you accumulate them?

What County are you in?? Being very active in Both of the Statewide Fire Service Organizations, I may know someone in your County that will help you with that.....
    In memory of

IACOJ Budget Analyst

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

If you do find yourself helping to set up a LOSAP system. Make sure it entails your members still accumulate years after they start collecting payments. Many of the early programs around here didnt and the members ended up suing the depts and districts to get compensation. They all won and it cost the depts. alot of money.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    What County are you in?? Being very active in Both of the Statewide Fire Service Organizations, I may know someone in your County that will help you with that.....
    I'm in Baltimore County. I'm sure I can ask my company officers about it, it just hasn't come up yet.

Thumbs up Good Deal..............

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteknight View Post
    I'm in Baltimore County. I'm sure I can ask my company officers about it, it just hasn't come up yet.

Baltimore County has one of the better LOSAP Systems in Md. and Yes, your company officers can fill you in on the Details.......
    In memory of

IACOJ Budget Analyst

www.gdvfd18.com

DFD

new jersey has it. We sign a sheet for every call, drill, duty crew night, etc.

Forum Member

Thanks for the input. Recently we had an article about the volunteer fire service in our town. In the blogs that followed, it was mentioned that NYS was the only state that had LOSAP. I was just looking to confirm that the person had no clue as to what they were talking about. Our FD just lowered the age that we can start collecting, so I will start getting a payment in July. It will give me something to feed my Combat Challenge habit with. Again thanks guys.
    Stephen J Bourassa
    Latham FD (NY)
    member since 1969
    challenge competitor since 1993

Thread Information