Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Thumbs down House Proposal Guts Homeland Security Funding

May 13, 2011 Ė The House Appropriations Subcommittee on Homeland Security has approved a Republican proposal to slash funding for first responders by more than $1 billion, including significant cuts to the Staffing for Adequate Fire and Emergency Response (SAFER) and Assistance to Firefighters (FIRE Act) grant programs.

The legislation, making appropriations for the Department of Homeland Security for Fiscal Year 2012, would cut funding for the SAFER and FIRE Act grants by more than 50 percent, providing a scant $150 million for SAFER and only $200 million for FIRE Act grants. Furthermore, the legislation fails to extend the SAFER waivers which have helped hundreds of fire departments avoid fire fighter layoffs and bring laid-off fire fighters back to work.

In addition to the cuts made to SAFER and the FIRE Act, the proposal slashes funding for nearly every first responder grant program, including the Urban Area Security Initiative (UASI) and State Homeland Security (SHSGP) grants. Specifically, the bill stipulates that $1 billion be split between UASI, SHSGP and seven other grant programs. Combined, the programs received more than $2 billion last year.

ďAt a time when state and local public safety budgets are shrinking, it is unconscionable to implement cuts of this magnitude,Ē says Schaitberger. ďMake no mistake, if this proposal is enacted, it would devastate local fire department budgets and threaten public safety nationwide.Ē

Call to action here folks. Write your representatives and let them know in no uncertain terms that a "vote" by them to slash DHS funding in our programs is a certain vote from you NOT to return them to office for a second term! Let them know, in no uncertain terms, that you are monitoring their every vote along these lines and that until they slash the foreign aid leaving our country every year, our own first responder funding had better remain intact or their position in the house will be slashed by your vote in the booth next time!
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Quote Originally Posted by ktb9780 View Post
    Call to action here folks. Write your representatives and let them know in no uncertain terms that a "vote" by them to slash DHS funding in our programs is a certain vote from you NOT to return them to office for a second term! Let them know, in no uncertain terms, that you are monitoring their every vote along these lines and that until they slash the foreign aid leaving our country every year, our own first responder funding had better remain intact or their position in the house will be slashed by your vote in the booth next time!
    You got that right brother. I would even ask for that 6.5 billion back they gave to the Islamic Republic of Pakistan. That was just the last round of our tax money they gave them. Paying them to be our friends has not done anything but help make this county bankrupt. Bring our troopís home and guard our borders here. Oh and donít bring any artilleries back. Send them to Islamabad one at a time.

Forum Member

Saw a nice commentary on that particular situation this morning:

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=.../0/JzD-rnmeiH8

I like this guy.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dfd701 View Post
    You got that right brother. I would even ask for that 6.5 billion back they gave to the Islamic Republic of Pakistan. That was just the last round of our tax money they gave them. Paying them to be our friends has not done anything but help make this county bankrupt. Bring our troopís home and guard our borders here. Oh and donít bring any artilleries back. Send them to Islamabad one at a time.
    Obama to Pledge New Mideast Aid

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000..._WSJ_US_News_5

Apparently didn't get the "We're Broke" memo.

The Fire Grants Reauthorization Act of 2011 was approved by the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee on Wednesday.
    It is the first step in the process as it makes its way through Congress.
    The same committee passed a similar measure during the last session.
    The bill that will authorize funding for SAFER, Fire Prevention and Safety and Assistance to Firefighters Grants (AFG) has not been introduced in the House.
    The legislation was introduced by Senators Susan Collins, R-Maine; Joe Lieberman, D-Conn.; Tom Carper, D-Del.; and Scott Brown, R-Mass.
    Collins, Lieberman, and Carper are co-chairs of the Congressional Fire Services Caucus.
    Kurt Bradley

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er View Post

I like this guy.
    Kind of like an Andy Rooney, uncensored. I agree Brian, this guy is awesome. Simon Cowell needs to bring him onto American TV.I love it" pickled and mounted on top of WTC shrine with a pork chop in his mouth and a fireman's axe stuck up his @&&!" Indeed!
    Kurt Bradley

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er View Post

I like this guy.
    Hey Kurt and Brian I like this guy too. That is why I am passing this clip along to my friends. They will get a kick out of it.
    I donít know about you all but I have to respect individuals that tell it like it is. I know some people in our town that if they donít like you then you know it right off the bat. No beating around the bush and I may not like them ether but I have to respect them for being honest about it. I hate it when someone pats you on the back and tells you if you need anything just give me a call and the whole time you know they are lying between their teeth and will stab you in the back.
    This guy needs to run for Obamaís job. I know he may have been born outside the US but heck people evidently donít care about that anymore. Oh yea I am one of those that donít believe POTUS is an American born citizen. If you are the most powerful man in the world donít tell me the right paper work canít get in the right place at the right time. I know that sounds like I am a nutcase but that is what I believe and I am not alone. People ask me why that is so important. Well that is why so many brave Americans gave their life for is those written rules or guidelines on how this county should be run. If you omit that one where does it stop?
    In my opinion our government is run bass ackwards. It penalizes people that work hard and try to raise there family to be good citizens and to have a positive effect on our great county. We have become a county of free loaders that donít want to work but rather seat at home and wait on their government check to come in the mail. With all the billions of tax money they are giving to counties that hate us and we canít even afford to pay the teachers in our schools. What is wrong with this picture?
    Why our present leaders of the county donít get it is beyond me.
    dfd701

Forum Member

Because the free loaders don't have jobs so they can spend all day on Facebook and out at rallies supporting politicians so they think that's what the people want. Free stuff gets votes, always been that way.

Certain sects of the population want everything given to them, but I'm seeing a large contigent of people that would just like to work, hands-on or otherwise without being in the dark about what the job is supposed to pay. IE auto manufacturing moving southwards and growing. I think micro- and macro-economics should be part of a high school education so that everyone realizes that the buck just gets passed around so taking an extra dollar on one side will cause pricing to increase and then have to spend said dollar somewhere else making it a moot point. Our pricing got so high manufacturing is cheaper elsewhere even with having to transport raw materials out of the US and then finished products back to the US. Fuel, shipping, trucking, handling, etc, etc, and it's still cheaper than producing it here. That's why as much as I can I'm checking labels when I buy things. Every little bit counts to help bring manufacturing back here.

Thread Information