Forum Member

Default getting hired with a disability..

Right now I am finishing up my last two years with the navy and I would love to get out and go for the job that I have wanted since I was a kid. While serving in the navy I lost complete hearing in my left ear but can hear fine in my right. Will this pose a problem when trying to find a job in the firefighting career?? If any one has any info that would be great..

MembersZone Subscriber

Sorry bud, but I'm damn near positive that there is no way you could get a job with complete hearing loss in one ear. I was in the Marines for 4 years and I have enough hearing loss to get a disability rating along with PTSD, but I can still pass a hearing test so I'm ok. But the hearing tests check both ears, and if one isn't working you will fail. They can't disciminate based on disability, but if it precludes you from performing your duties they can't hire you. I'm sorry, that really sucks, but it will say on the employment pages of any department their requirements for hearing and sight and they apply to both left and right.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by amtresidder View Post
    Sorry bud, but I'm damn near positive that there is no way you could get a job with complete hearing loss in one ear. I was in the Marines for 4 years and I have enough hearing loss to get a disability rating along with PTSD, but I can still pass a hearing test so I'm ok. But the hearing tests check both ears, and if one isn't working you will fail. They can't disciminate based on disability, but if it precludes you from performing your duties they can't hire you. I'm sorry, that really sucks, but it will say on the employment pages of any department their requirements for hearing and sight and they apply to both left and right.
    Thats what I kind of figured.. thats what makes it tough for me right now. I would love to get out and go for it but at the same time if I know that I cant get it then I would like to stay in the Navy.. I also keep getting mixed advice about it.. I have heard from a fire chief that as long as you can hear out of one ear well and that you dont have vertigo then I still can have a shot at it.. Thanks for the comment

Forum Member

Hi! Don't give up just yet. Hearing requirements vary by department. I also have a hearing loss in my left ear, but use a hearing aid to correct it. I was also worried about if I could still get hired, until I met some firefighters on other departments around here who have gotten on with hearing losses as well.
    Just keep applying becasue you never know.

Nan

Forum Member

Default Nfpa 1582- standard on comprehensive occupational medical program for firedepartments

CHAPTER 6:
    CATAGORY A DOES NOT MEET MEDICAL REQUIRMENTS
    CATAGORY B MEETS THE MEDICAL REQUIRMENTS

WITH THAT BEING SAID

EARS/HEARING:

CATAGORY A (DOES NOT MEET MEDICAL REQUIRMENTS)
    1. CHRONICAL VERITGO OR IMPARED BALANCE
    2. AUDIO TESTING AVERAGE HEARING LOSS IN THE UNAIDED BETTER EAR GREATER THAN 40 DECIBELS AT 500Hz, 1000Hz, 2000 Hz, 3000 Hz.
    3. ANY EAR CONDITION (OR HEARING IMPAIRMENT) THAT RESULTS IN THE CANDIDATE NOT BEING ABLE TO SAFELY PERFORM ONE OR MORE OF THE ESSENTIAL JOB TASK.

CATAGORY B (MEETS MEDICAL REQUIRMENTS)
    1. UNEQUAL HEARING LOSS
    2. AVERAGE UNCORRECTED HEARING DEFICIT AT THE TEST FREQUENCIES 500 Hz, 1000 Hz, 2000 Hz and 3000 Hz greater than 40 dB in either ear
    Last edited by BlackSheep2388; 05-17-2011 at 03:09 PM. Reason: stupid smiley faces..

Forum Member

thanks! I am not going to give up it not in my nature to.

MembersZone Subscriber

I admire your determination and enthusiasm, just sharing my experience and I've been through lots of different recruitments. Best of luck to you, Semper Fi.

MembersZone Subscriber

I have a friend that was born with a hearing loss condition on one side and has been on the job for 14 years including over 10 as a fulltime firefighter. If you read 1582 there should be an erratta regarding the hearing section. If it's not there call NFPA and ask about it. Good luck.

Thread Information