Forum Member

Lightbulb Newb w/Seattle FD questions

Hello all and please bear with me as I am very much new to the hiring process and as I'm sure you know, the search function doesn't always produce the desired results. As I understand, the SFD requires completion of the Medic One program in order for their firefighters to also function as paramedics - regardless of prior paramedic training. In my hometown of San Francisco a paramedic license is often obtained before application to the SFFD in order to make the applicant more competitive (as I'm sure is the case most places).

1.) Although the SFD states that there is no reciprocity for prior paramedic experience, is it reasonable to assume that a San Francisco paramedic license will carry any weight regarding the application process to SFD?

2.) If not - What experience/qualifications/education do most competitive SFD applicants possess when applying for an entry level position?

Thanks for your help, guys. And stay safe.

Forum Member

There's a whole thread devoted to Seattle........

http://www.firehouse.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117647 (Seattle 2011)

Forum Member

Thank you for that. I actually already went through the entire Seattle thread. Nowhere did it answer my questions.

Forum Member

I went through the 2008 process and made it to being an alternate candidate, but never got the call.I really dont think they have any "typical candidate".Think they are quite arbitary with their descsions as far as selection goes, as is many fire departments.Experience/no experience doesnt seem to make a difference with them.I thin having your P these days no matter where you apply helps.

Forum Member

Try this link:
    http://www.seattle.gov/fire/employment/ffjob_EMT.htm
    Then click on EMS Reciprocity, this will give you the contact info on how to gain reciprocity in Seattle.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by danalcantar View Post
    Hello all and please bear with me as I am very much new to the hiring process and as I'm sure you know, the search function doesn't always produce the desired results. As I understand, the SFD requires completion of the Medic One program in order for their firefighters to also function as paramedics - regardless of prior paramedic training. In my hometown of San Francisco a paramedic license is often obtained before application to the SFFD in order to make the applicant more competitive (as I'm sure is the case most places).

1.) Although the SFD states that there is no reciprocity for prior paramedic experience, is it reasonable to assume that a San Francisco paramedic license will carry any weight regarding the application process to SFD?

2.) If not - What experience/qualifications/education do most competitive SFD applicants possess when applying for an entry level position?

Thanks for your help, guys. And stay safe.
    I know a few Seattle guys and from what I know, your current certification will have no bearing on whether they hire you or not. If you get hired, and want to become a Seattle/King County medic, it may help you getting selected, but I don't know the ins/outs of that

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BFDCP View Post
    I know a few Seattle guys and from what I know, your current certification will have no bearing on whether they hire you or not. If you get hired, and want to become a Seattle/King County medic, it may help you getting selected, but I don't know the ins/outs of that
    If you want to practice as a medic anywhere in King County, whether it is through fire departments like Redmond, Bellevue, or Seattle or be single role like South King Medic One, you MUST go through Medic One's training regardless of your past experience or certifications.

As noted, it may help you get hired because of your different experience, but you will not be allowed to practice without being selected and trained like everybody else.

FossilMedic

Default Seattle only recognizes Harborview-trained paramedics

While Seattle/King County will provide reciprocity for EMT-Basic, they ONLY allow paramedics trained at the University of Washington/Harborview Hospital training to function as ALS providers in King County and Seattle.

Unique situation.

HARBORVIEW MEDICAL CENTER-UNIVERSITY OF WASHINGTON
    Emergency Medical Technician - Paramedic Program
    325 Ninth Avenue, Mail Stop: 359727
    Seattle, Washington 98104
    Program Director: Dean Brooke, EMT-P
    Telephone: (206) 521-1224
    Medical Director: Michael K. Copass, MD
    Class Capacity: 24. Begins: October Length: 10 months
    Tuition: Sponsorship by Regional EMS Employers ONLY
    Award: Certificate

http://www.doh.wa.gov/hsqa/emstrauma/pmtrnprg.htm

Paramedic Training
    (from Seattle Fire Department website)

To become a Paramedic, department firefighters must apply for the position and if accepted, begin a year-long training program under the close supervision of the Medical Director at Harborview Medical Center and veteran Paramedics. Paramedic trainees must successfully complete this intensive 3,000 hour worth of instruction and hands-on training.

After completion of their training, Paramedics are required to complete 50 additional hours of medical education annually. They are also required to document performance of required skills in excess of State requirements in order to maintain certification as an Advanced Life Support Paramedic by the University of Washington School of Medicine. These hours are divided into a formal lecture series relating to paramedicine, other medicine-related lectures, alarm review with the Medical Director and teaching EMS-related subjects.

http://www.seattle.gov/fire/medics/medicOne.htm

I have no idea of what a "typical" successful SFD applicant looks like.

Applicant Questions
    (also from Seattle Fire website)

It is strongly advised that applicants with questions about becoming a Seattle Firefighter seek information from the appropriate experts so that they obtain accurate and complete information. Applicants often have friends and other contacts in the City of Seattle, however, these individuals may not have the most up-to-date information and may not be able to provide essential information.

Questions regarding the application process, exams, test dates, or other related information should be directed to the Fire Exams Unit at (206) 615-0581.

http://www.seattle.gov/fire/employment/ffjob_apply.htm
    Last edited by MikeWard; 05-21-2011 at 07:59 PM. Reason: Add additional information

Thread Information