Thread: Discounts

Forum Member

Default Discounts

I was at one of my dept meetings and we came across the subject of discounts in our town for volunteer fire fighters and we were wondering about what major chain restaurants or any places like that offer discounts. Does anyone know any places that do?

Forum Member

Default Discounts

It nice that there are some businesses that give discounts to Fire, Police and Military. The problem is that there is always someone who takes it to an extreme and ruins it for those of us who partake in the discounts. I for one do not and only when asked do I own up to it and use the discount. The problem is when they ask you "Are you a Senior" I have to say yes......with that said there is no problem with me for those who do use the discounts...I choose not to unless asked.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

Yeah, usually we have to be in uniform at most of the places we know to get the discounts anyway so they usually give it to us cause they see us in our uniforms.

Forum Member

Sorry, but ain't doing this for the discounts.

If I found a member of my Department asking for a discount...he'd be ashamed to show his face again at the firehouse.

No. Nope. Not a fan of discounts for us.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    Sorry, but ain't doing this for the discounts.

If I found a member of my Department asking for a discount...he'd be ashamed to show his face again at the firehouse.

No. Nope. Not a fan of discounts for us.
    None of us are doing it for the discounts. (Well no one at my Department at least) I (among people I know) were just wondering about them. I figured that I would get on someones nerves by saying this. So with that, I bid you all good evening....

MembersZone Subscriber

One of the auto supply chains gives a discount for public safety folks - and they offered it to me one day when I was there in my VFD jacket. I take advantage of it from time to time.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Let's talk fire trucks!

Albemarle County, VA has a really nice volunteer incentive program with many local business and business chains giving on & off-duty discounts on goods and services. They've been using it for a number of years.

If someone wants to give me a discount, rock on. I'm not going to ask for it, nor am I going to wear something from the FD in hopes of getting it, but if the dude wants to knock 10% off my hamburger, I'm ok with that.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    Albemarle County, VA has a really nice volunteer incentive program with many local business and business chains giving on & off-duty discounts on goods and services. They've been using it for a number of years.

If someone wants to give me a discount, rock on. I'm not going to ask for it, nor am I going to wear something from the FD in hopes of getting it, but if the dude wants to knock 10% off my hamburger, I'm ok with that.
    Exactly, we don't go out of our way to do it. Usually we just go after our Thursday night meetings and they give it to us. If I happen to be in a place and they recognize me and offer it, I will take it. But, I'm sure not going to ask every place I go if they have a discount because I am on the FD...

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by 19echo95 View Post
    I was at one of my dept meetings and we came across the subject of discounts in our town for volunteer fire fighters and we were wondering about what major chain restaurants or any places like that offer discounts. Does anyone know any places that do?
    I'm with everyone else, don't usually ask for 'em (except web transactions) but I'm not one to turn down "free money" if offered. My union does have a page on their website where they announce who's got deals for us. In fact, the Dell I'm typing on right now came cheaper through it.

I don't know if they offer a discount per se, but I would like to acknowledge the support given by Outback Steakhouse. My brother is a fire-police capt. with his local VFD. Every year they have a fund raiser where the local Outback hosts a closed-door lunch for $20/ticket. All proceeds go to the VFD. The restaurant, the cooks' and waitstaffs' time, the food - everything is donated, the only extra is alcohol. I have been going to it for at least the last 5 years, and it has always been a first class job by their people.
    Opinions expressed are mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect those of the Philadelphia Fire Department and/or IAFF Local 22.

MembersZone Subscriber

If a discount appears, fine. I don't ever ask. I used to work at a ambulance service where the office staff, and the owners wife would change into uniform shirts before lunch so they could get a discount. Now that peed me off.

That said, there are a number of websites that you can claim a discount on, such as cruise lines. I will take that.

I just can't see asking for a 10% discount on a big mac.

Forum Member

Default Discounts

Just was told of a Firefighters discount while buying dirt and bark @ local merchant. I declined as they have to make money to survive.....
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LVFD301 View Post
    If a discount appears, fine. I don't ever ask. I used to work at a ambulance service where the office staff, and the owners wife would change into uniform shirts before lunch so they could get a discount. Now that peed me off.

That said, there are a number of websites that you can claim a discount on, such as cruise lines. I will take that.

I just can't see asking for a 10% discount on a big mac.
    Yeah, that's just crazy, changing clothes just to get 10 or 20% off...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JayDudley View Post
    Just was told of a Firefighters discount while buying dirt and bark @ local merchant. I declined as they have to make money to survive.....
    I usually take such discounts as smart marketing on the part of the owner. If he gives you a 10% discount, and you go back to the station and tell everyone firefighters get 10% off at his store.... chances are he'll make that money back 10 times over with new customers.

Forum Member

Jay, I agree with you, I would never do it at a local business because like you said, they have to survive and I am usually glad to spend that much.

Forum Member

We have a few businesses in our first due that give us discounts but we never ask. If they offer it, cool. If not, no problem.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

When I was still working, in the mornings I would stop by either one of these stores for a cup of coffee and maybe a donut. Wawa 7-Eleven or Sheetz. The coffee was always free.

Sometimes I would hit the Burger King for a little more. The coffee or soda was either free or at a seniors price of .25 cents.

Pizza Hut use to give 50% off and I have had Domino's and Papa John's give you the pie free.

I never asked, but did take it if they wanted to give it.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Ok about the discount, when I say this I by no means think I deserve to be giving a discount based off of my job. But what happen to me one day was another Firefighter and I was eating at a local restaurant in our uniforms. Well while we was eating a few cops in uniform came into eat and they ended up sitting beside us and we talked the whole time, so when it came time to pay we all got up together and they paid first and the workers said that since they were cops that they get 50% off. And I was like dang, They basically pay you here to eat lol. Well after the cops paid they moved over to the side to wait on us and I was the first FF to pay and the woman looked at me before even ringing my order up and said you don't get a discount. I was shocked and I told her that I wasn't looking for one, but I asked why FF's Don't get one but the police do. And this woman said " because there job is dangerous" I was so ****ed off that I couldn't even get straight words out of my mouth. all that I kept saying was " Are you kidding me" lol but I kept my cool because I didn't want to make our dept look bad.

Forum Member

I know that both Verizon Wireless and U.S. Cellular give discounts for being a firefighter. A couple of the guys on my dept. take advantage of that. As far as local businesses go, I have never heard of any that do but a couple of the local pizza and wing places have brought us up free food on our training nights as a Thank You.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jmason66 View Post
    Ok about the discount, when I say this I by no means think I deserve to be giving a discount based off of my job. But what happen to me one day was another Firefighter and I was eating at a local restaurant in our uniforms. Well while we was eating a few cops in uniform came into eat and they ended up sitting beside us and we talked the whole time, so when it came time to pay we all got up together and they paid first and the workers said that since they were cops that they get 50% off. And I was like dang, They basically pay you here to eat lol. Well after the cops paid they moved over to the side to wait on us and I was the first FF to pay and the woman looked at me before even ringing my order up and said you don't get a discount. I was shocked and I told her that I wasn't looking for one, but I asked why FF's Don't get one but the police do. And this woman said " because there job is dangerous" I was so ****ed off that I couldn't even get straight words out of my mouth. all that I kept saying was " Are you kidding me" lol but I kept my cool because I didn't want to make our dept look bad.
    Oh wow, I would be super, super PO'd. You are a better man than I am for keeping your cool in that situation.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 19echo95 View Post
    Oh wow, I would be super, super PO'd. You are a better man than I am for keeping your cool in that situation.
    What's there to be ****ed about? You feel you shouldn't have to pay for a meal?

Grow up.
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by backsteprescue123 View Post

Grow up.
    I'm pretty sure he is talking about the fact that they gave the cops a discount and then flat out said no that a FF's job is not dangerous

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by backsteprescue123 View Post

Grow up.
    No, not for that reason. I don't need any type of discount or anything like that. I would be pi**ed because they said that firefighting wasn't a dangerous job. Would you not feel the need to correct someone over that? I wasn't saying I was pi**ed off about not getting a discount but rather the statement that the cashier made.

How about you think before you insult someone?

Forum Member

Thats their opinion - I would save my anger for something I could change.
    ?

Forum Member

If any business offers you a discount with a smile on their face, you take it. Otherwise you could be insulting them. WE know they have to make their margin up with increased sales, but they usually do it for a reason.

When I had my business on a main thoroughfare, I had to sell $25,000 of items at full pop to just pay the $5,500 a month rent. However many businesses understand with the intent that they have a better chance to reduce the margin with your increased patronage. An increased customer base that is, and in many ways.

The other thing I learned from my wife that has proved wise is this. If a little old lady invites you to come into her new apartment to show it off,,,,, you go inside and let her show it off to you. The little old lady is obviously proud. I normally would have said, "No that's all right." thinking I was being courteous and not imposing on her and now I realize that the reverse was true.

If they offer the discount out loud, you take it gratefully. Just do not expect it every time.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jam24u View Post
    If any business offers you a discount with a smile on their face, you take it. Otherwise you could be insulting them. WE know they have to make their margin up with increased sales, but they usually do it for a reason.

When I had my business on a main thoroughfare, I had to sell $25,000 of items at full pop to just pay the $5,500 a month rent. However many businesses understand with the intent that they have a better chance to reduce the margin with your increased patronage. An increased customer base that is, and in many ways.

The other thing I learned from my wife that has proved wise is this. If a little old lady invites you to come into her new apartment to show it off,,,,, you go inside and let her show it off to you. The little old lady is obviously proud. I normally would have said, "No that's all right." thinking I was being courteous and not imposing on her and now I realize that the reverse was true.

If they offer the discount out loud, you take it gratefully. Just do not expect it every time.
    Totally makes sense. I definitely understand the profit margin thing. People have to make money plain and simple...

Thread Information