Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gift Axe advice

Forum Member

Default Gift Axe advice

My niece is in college studying firefighting science. She actually lives in the firehouse as an intern or something, goes to school, and works as a firefighter. Her father, Chris, is a firechief/paramedic/divemaster/superjock etc, so she's following in his footsteps.

Years ago we got Chris a Truckman Battle Axe as a present and had it engraved to say: In case you need to get in, but more importantly, in case you need to get out. With love....

Chris loved it, and carried it on his belt. Said it was nice to have if he didn't carry the big axe, and that it didn't drag because it was short. Guess you guys are knee walking a lot. Chris is about 5'11"

My niece is only about 5'7", but strong. Handstand pushups and backflips strong from cheerleading, gymnastics, running, weights, softball, snowboarding...
    I plan to get her an Axe with the same inscription. I was going to get her a matching Truckman: http://www.columbussupply.com/products/?productid=210
    Then I saw this HammerHead axe: http://173.164.199.171/fireinn/index...category_id=13 which looked cool too.

If they're comparable, I'll get the Truckman. It's nice that it'll match her dad's! But if the Hammerhead is much better, I'll get her that one.
    Same 3lbs weight.
    Truckman is 2" longer with better/more ergonomic haft.
    Gas shutoff is cut into the HammerHead.
    Truckman's back spikes are spaced to work on gas shutoffs if needed.
    Pry spike versus hammer.

Since these are back up tools, I didn't see much difference functionally, but... I drive a desk. The only fires I fight are figurative. So after all that background, which would you recommend?

Best regards, and thank you for what you do,
    Todd

PS) Yes, she's hot (objectively, not to Uncle Todd), and No, I'm not giving you her number.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddW View Post
    My niece is in college studying firefighting science. She actually lives in the firehouse as an intern or something, goes to school, and works as a firefighter. Her father, Chris, is a firechief/paramedic/divemaster/superjock etc, so she's following in his footsteps.

Years ago we got Chris a Truckman Battle Axe as a present and had it engraved to say: In case you need to get in, but more importantly, in case you need to get out. With love....

Chris loved it, and carried it on his belt. Said it was nice to have if he didn't carry the big axe, and that it didn't drag because it was short. Guess you guys are knee walking a lot. Chris is about 5'11"

My niece is only about 5'7", but strong. Handstand pushups and backflips strong from cheerleading, gymnastics, running, weights, softball, snowboarding...
    I plan to get her an Axe with the same inscription. I was going to get her a matching Truckman: http://www.columbussupply.com/products/?productid=210
    Then I saw this HammerHead axe: http://173.164.199.171/fireinn/index...category_id=13 which looked cool too.

If they're comparable, I'll get the Truckman. It's nice that it'll match her dad's! But if the Hammerhead is much better, I'll get her that one.
    Same 3lbs weight.
    Truckman is 2" longer with better/more ergonomic haft.
    Gas shutoff is cut into the HammerHead.
    Truckman's back spikes are spaced to work on gas shutoffs if needed.
    Pry spike versus hammer.

Since these are back up tools, I didn't see much difference functionally, but... I drive a desk. The only fires I fight are figurative. So after all that background, which would you recommend?

Best regards, and thank you for what you do,
    Todd

PS) Yes, she's hot (objectively, not to Uncle Todd), and No, I'm not giving you her number.
    I'd get her one that matches her Dad's. I still do things just cause my Dad does!

P.S.- Sounds like a nice girl, but not my type. I need a girl that believes me when I say we caught a late run and that's why I didn't get home to run errands until 930.... She would know that we stood out in the bays drinking coffee and bull****ting for over 2 hours.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Thanks.
    Chris didn't choose the Truckman over the Hammer one, we picked the gift, so in this case, Dad's choice wasn't really a choice. Even so, it sounds like functionally, they look equivalent to you.

So no great benefit to having a hammer on your axe? Or you'd just use the side if the Truckman if needed?
    Todd

Todd, why not check with the department she will be working for and see if they allow their members to buy and use their own personnel tools.

It would be a waste of money as well as effort to buy something for her that she couldn't use.

All departments furnish the best tools and appliances they they can buy and need to have on their apparatus for members to use.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Quote Originally Posted by ToddW View Post
    Thanks.
    Chris didn't choose the Truckman over the Hammer one, we picked the gift, so in this case, Dad's choice wasn't really a choice. Even so, it sounds like functionally, they look equivalent to you.

So no great benefit to having a hammer on your axe? Or you'd just use the side if the Truckman if needed?
    Todd
    If I picked one I would probably say the Truckmans. The other reminds me of a TNT tool (another firefighting tool) a jack of all trades but master of none. It offers alot of options but really doesnt do many of them well. The HammerHead Axe just looks kinda goofy to me. (But I am the guy who doesn't read a book if the cover doesn't grab my attention )

Personally, if I'm assigned to the truck for the day, I usually end up taking a flathead axe, hook, and saw with me to the roof. We have found that opening up the roofs around here is much easier with the back of a flathead axe than the pickhead.

Sorry for getting off topic! This all probably sounds greek to you as it sounds like you may not be in the fire service. If I were you I would most definitely get the truckmans axe. Just the looks of the tool give you something to be proud of.
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    Todd, why not check with the department she will be working for and see if they allow their members to buy and use their own personnel tools.
    It would be a waste of money as well as effort to buy something for her that she couldn't use.
    Hi Capt,
    I hadn't considered that point, but it's a gift, and I can't predict where she's going to wind up. Given the other rec's have been for the Truckman, I think I'll go with that and since both she and her dad will have an engraved Truckman axe from us, it'll be a cool gift even if it just stays in her truck.

BackStep,
    I actually have spent enough time talking to Chris about what you do to understand what you said. Thanks for the insight.

-Todd

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post

All departments furnish the best tools and appliances they they can buy and need to have on their apparatus for members to use.
    It sounds to me like it would be more of a wall hanging gift? I wouldn't want to use an engraved axe...
    Firefighting - one of the few professions left that still makes house calls.

Ya know, we have a few Fire Maxx axes in my department and they have come in handy a few times... (found on the same page as hammerhead)
    Firefighting - one of the few professions left that still makes house calls.

Forum Member

Hi NFD,

We don't really do wall hanging gifts. I saw Chris's ax and it's not babied. It is 10 years old since my son's name isn't on it and he's 9. Chris doesn't go in much anymore, guess the Chief is outside the building, but I know he did carry it on his belt when he wasn't chief.

Alright, there's a 30 minute gap right here. I broke down and called Chris to ask his advice. He said definately go with the Truckman. He said they have lots of axes and halligans and rakes stuff, but he always wore the truckman on his belt. He said he used it a lot, but also loved having it because he knew if he lost the other bigger tool, he could knock a hole in a wall to breath, spike a roof to hold on to it, and stuff like that. He mentioned the belt/sheath was not worth getting, but a cover and a hammer holder worked better.

Anyway, Chris won't be surprised anymore, but I'm gonna stick with the Truckman. The Firemax is more than double the weight of the Truckman.

Thanks again,
    Todd

Thread Information