Forum Member

Default Renton, WA Enry FF

The position closed yesterday through National Testing Network. Has anyone heard if or when they plan to hire? Or interviews?

Forum Member

They already hired 4 lateral FF, anyone know how many entry-level they plan on hiring?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SEAEVO9 View Post
    They already hired 4 lateral FF, anyone know how many entry-level they plan on hiring?
    I heard 2-5 entry. I called and asked their HR dept. I'm not sure how they figure the scores from the NTN test, so I have no idea if I'm in the running or not.

Forum Member

HR advised me that they will take the top 70 scores from NTN tests (w/o Vet Pref), and request those 70 to submit formal applications. Those 70 will be invited to Oral Board(s). Oral Board scores will be added to NTN scores (which yields a composite score). Vet Pref points are added to the composite scores at that time. List will then be ranked. Renton Civil Service rules are posted at below link.....

http://www.rentonwa.gov/uploadedFile...ES-%202010.pdf

(Civil Service rules are dated 10/20/2010, but HR advised that they have not changed and will be updating the date to 2011 shortly.)

This yields an Eligibility Register which is good for up to two years (but can be extended). Candidates are selected for interview based upon their ranking in Eligibility Register, as positions open up. FD utilizes a Rule Of FIVE, but if highest scoring candidate is not hired Chief must submit written reasons why not to Civil Service Board. (These rules are all laid out in the Civil Service web link above).

Above process assumes candidates have met certain pre-requisites of CPAT, Background, Reference check, Psch eval, Medical examination/drug screening and passing score on Oral Board(s).

other info at: http://www.rentonwa.gov/working/default.aspx?id=5884

GOTTA LOVE IT WHEN AN AGENCY MAKES IT SO TRANSPARENT AND CLEAR - THANK YOU RENTON. WOULD LOVE TO KNOW WHO DID THIS SO I CAN VOTE FOR YOU NEXT ELECTION.

Thread readers.....Please sound off when you are notified by Renton FD, as a number of us are waiting to see if we made it.

Thx, and good luck.
    Last edited by Pasha6568; 06-11-2011 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Corrected Rule of Five is used (not three)

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pasha6568 View Post
    HR advised me that they will take the top 70 scores from NTN tests (w/o Vet Pref), and request those 70 to submit formal applications. Those 70 will be invited to Oral Board(s). Oral Board scores will be added to NTN scores (which yields a composite score). Vet Pref points are added to the composite scores at that time. List will then be ranked. Renton Civil Service rules are posted at below link.....

http://www.rentonwa.gov/uploadedFile...ES-%202010.pdf

(Civil Service rules are dated 10/20/2010, but HR advised that they have not changed and will be updating the date to 2011 shortly.)

This yields an Eligibility Register which is good for up to two years (but can be extended). Candiates are selected for interview based upon their ranking in Eligibility Register, as positions open up. FD utilizes a Rule Of Three, but if highest scoring candidate is not hired Captain must submit written reasons why not to Civil Service Board. (These rules are all laid out in the Civil Service web link above).

Above process assumes you have met certain pre-requisites of CPAT, Background, Reference check, Psch eval, Medical examination/drug screening and passing score on Oral Board(s).

other info at: http://www.rentonwa.gov/working/default.aspx?id=5884

GOTTA LOVE IT WHEN AN AGENCY MAKES IT SO TRANSPARENT AND CLEAR - THANK YOU RENTON. WOULD LOVE TO KNOW WHO DID THIS SO I CAN VOTE FOR YOU NEXT ELECTION.

Thread readers.....Please sound off when you hear if you are notified by Renton FD, as a number of us are waiting to see if we made it.

Thx, and good luck.
    Awesome! Thank you. By chance did the say how the come up with the NTN score? Is math just pass/fail?
    Last edited by lwright82; 05-19-2011 at 08:05 PM.

Forum Member

Simple answer: No I didn't think to ask them.

Complex answer: But....

I have not heard of any agency that uses the Math or Reading portion score other than as a Pass/Fail. I assume main reason for this is to eliminate disparate impact. If others are aware of an agency that uses the actual Math or Reading score please sound off.

Also, I am not aware of any agency that deviates from weighing the HR/Mech at 70/30 similar to Bates. If anyone KNOWS of a different practice please sound off.

BTW on a refreshed look at the NTN web site, they now have tested over 1 million candidates. http://www.nationaltestingnetwork.com/about_ntn.cfm

If these questions are not answered by Renton in the forthcoming notification of test results, I'll ping and post.
    Last edited by Pasha6568; 05-19-2011 at 11:21 PM.

Forum Member

I hope I hear from them!
    Last edited by Hopeful_FF; 05-19-2011 at 10:20 PM.

Forum Member

Okay some new information.

I called today because NTN managed to lose my test score and not send it on. Luckily they got on the ball as soon as I talked to them and got it all sorted out. Renton was also easy to work with.

They are interviewing the top 70, and the score cut off was 86.9 I believe. I scored an 85.75, so no dice. I was really hopeful for this one (I live in Renton), so it stings a little more than normal. By the way, based on my scores, it appears Renton follows the 70% HR, 30% mechanical weighting.

You should be receiving an email soon letting you know whether you're moving on or not. Good luck!
    Last edited by Hopeful_FF; 05-20-2011 at 08:01 PM.

Forum Member

Emails went out today! Wondering where an 89.7% would fall in the ranks of the top 70. Any others get an interview invitation? If so, what did you score?

Forum Member

I scored a 86.45 overall and it really stings when your that close.... fractions of percents.... that sucks. Good luck to a few of my friends that made it. Good luck fellas and ladies.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cbar84 View Post
    I scored a 86.45 overall and it really stings when your that close.... fractions of percents.... that sucks. Good luck to a few of my friends that made it. Good luck fellas and ladies.
    It does suck. Nothing to do but move on to the next one.

Forum Member

89.15 for me....... just barely made it. Amazing how just one answer can make the difference. (I missed the Olympia test score cut off earlier this year by less than a third of a percent, so I know exactly how you feel).

Forum Member

Anyone fellow board members interviewed yet? How'd it go?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFWC View Post
    Anyone fellow board members interviewed yet? How'd it go?
    Yesterday. It went really well. Very traditional.

Forum Member

Had mine today. I am getting better.

RFD is blue collar class; solid, straightforward, transparent, matter of fact, and has HR involved right in the oral board.

Felt I was brushing up against a real fire department, and a real HR department.....

.......that needs a few good firefighters.....

Thank you Renton, and thank you Renton FD.

On to Tacoma FD PAT this weekend.
    Last edited by Pasha6568; 06-10-2011 at 02:22 AM.

Forum Member

Has anyone heard when we will hear if we are moving on and how many?

Forum Member

Has anyone heard when we will hear if we are moving on and how many?
    10 to Chief's, hiring 6 (6 spots reserved for State Academy in August). Heard that if any non-EMTs are given offers then they will be put through an accelerated program starting 3rd week of June. So it sounds like the process is going to be pretty quick. Info comes from Renton FFs, but is not written in stone.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by KCFF84 View Post
    10 to Chief's, hiring 6 (6 spots reserved for State Academy in August). Heard that if any non-EMTs are given offers then they will be put through an accelerated program starting 3rd week of June. So it sounds like the process is going to be pretty quick. Info comes from Renton FFs, but is not written in stone.
    Nice! Hopefully we will hear next week. And if so, let's hope EARLY next week!
    Last edited by FFWC; 06-10-2011 at 07:45 PM.

Forum Member

Nice! Hopefully we will hear next week.
    Was told by Brian Sandler (HR) we will receive calls next week if we are in the top 10, letters/email if not.

Good luck to all

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BC1979 View Post
    Was told by Brian Sandler (HR) we will receive calls next week if we are in the top 10, letters/email if not.

Good luck to all
    I also heard the Chief's interview is thursday or friday of next week and they are hiring 5-7 depending on what gets approved.

Forum Member

I went to the applicant login and as of yesterday under 'schedule' it still had my interview time. This morning it was blank, so someone is in there working! Hopefully we here good news today. Anyones 'schedule' not blank?
    Last edited by FFWC; 06-13-2011 at 03:04 PM.

Forum Member

Last edited by Pasha6568; 08-17-2011 at 11:38 PM.

Forum Member

I received a call. Going to Chief's.
    Good for you!!! When did you get the call?

Forum Member

Thanks... been a long haul and stll not at the finish line yet..... but getting closer.

I received the call late this morning.... about 11:00 or so.
    Last edited by Pasha6568; 06-13-2011 at 04:54 PM.

Forum Member

Thanks... been a long haul and stll not at the finish line yet..... but getting closer.

I received the call late this morning.... about 11:00 or so.
    Curious...how many interviews have you had?

Thread Information