Thread: Lawsuit...

Forum Member

Default Lawsuit...

I may have two lawsuits against me, sometime soon. Would this be a DQ for most departments? Or would they not look into something like that? I live in S. Cali. if that makes a difference. Thank you in advance.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar N. View Post
    I may have two lawsuits against me, sometime soon. Would this be a DQ for most departments? Or would they not look into something like that? I live in S. Cali. if that makes a difference. Thank you in advance.
    Dependant on what the suits are about.

Your not telling the whole story.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    Dependant on what the suits are about.

Your not telling the whole story.
    What he said.

MembersZone Subscriber

depends if its based off a criminal charge or a civil case.. either way, its going to be a tie breaker that wont be in your favor

Forum Member

I use to own an auto repair shop, it went south on September 2010. Closed it down and I had a credit card machine and a ADT alarm lease. I had/have no money to pay for it now. So they're filling a lawsuit against me.

Forum Member

Yes, it will have an impact on getting hired. It's a violation of a contract and will at a minimum appear on your credit report. Do what you can to clear it up. Walking away is bad, develop a payment plan to own up to your responsibility.
    Paul Lepore
    Division Chief
    Aspiringfirefighters.com
    AspiringFireOfficers.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by paulLepore View Post
    Yes, it will have an impact on getting hired. It's a violation of a contract and will at a minimum appear on your credit report. Do what you can to clear it up. Walking away is bad, develop a payment plan to own up to your responsibility.
    I would really like to develop some kind of payment plan. But my part time job at Autozone doesn't let me pay for it. Plus school bills and other bills.

Forum Member

If I were a background investigator I would look at this situation and determine that you have put forth no effort to make the situation right. If you take the necesary steps to contact those who you owe money to, and even set up a small monthly payment plan, it will look much better to a background investigator. It will show that you are taking the matter seriously, and are doing everything within your financial means to make it right. If you continue to do nothing, and just feed him excuses about your other bills taking priority, the investigator will probably fail you because you have ignored two pending lawsuits. You have to put forth some effort here, the situation is not going to go away, but you can make your situation LOOK better if you at least put forth some effort to make it right.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by KHawke View Post
    If I were a background investigator I would look at this situation and determine that you have put forth no effort to make the situation right. If you take the necesary steps to contact those who you owe money to, and even set up a small monthly payment plan, it will look much better to a background investigator. It will show that you are taking the matter seriously, and are doing everything within your financial means to make it right. If you continue to do nothing, and just feed him excuses about your other bills taking priority, the investigator will probably fail you because you have ignored two pending lawsuits. You have to put forth some effort here, the situation is not going to go away, but you can make your situation LOOK better if you at least put forth some effort to make it right.
    You are right, I have been avoiding it. But I'll take your advice to try and get some kind of payment plan with them.

Forum Member

I think that would be the smart thing to do, good luck! Hope it all works out.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by KHawke View Post
    I think that would be the smart thing to do, good luck! Hope it all works out.
    Thank you!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar N. View Post
    You are right, I have been avoiding it. But I'll take your advice to try and get some kind of payment plan with them.
    You are doing the right thing. Sometimes when you are standing at the foot of a mountain it's hard to imagine yourself on the top. I may not know ya, but I am proud of ya! It takes a heck of a person to make that admission (especially in an internet forum!) and choose to do the right thing.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireFarrier View Post
    You are doing the right thing. Sometimes when you are standing at the foot of a mountain it's hard to imagine yourself on the top. I may not know ya, but I am proud of ya! It takes a heck of a person to make that admission (especially in an internet forum!) and choose to do the right thing.

Thank you, I feel exactly as you described.

Thread Information