Forum Member

Default OpenFireAcademy.org

Has anybody ever took a course through OpenFireAcademy.com? They offer some major classes and state you can get ProBoard/IFSAC certifications by completing their courses. I have never heard of them but wanted to see if anyone has any experiences with them. I know DOD lets you complete their CDC's online so I guess that is no different than what they are doing. Any comments is appreciated.

Thanks for your assistance!
    Last edited by rob2386b; 05-26-2011 at 01:05 PM.

Forum Member

Wher are they located?

How do you do practicals or live burns, ladder throws, hose drags, online??
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

They only offer the Instructor and Officer series. Its just like your DOD CDC's that you can complete online from what I have been told. They give you assignments to read and complete. You then submit them and they grade them for completion. Once all assignments are complete they have an agreement with Bucks Community College to allow you to do proctored written testing for ProBoard/IFSAC certification.

Forum Member

I've never heard of them, but will research them a bit now.
    Fire Service Interview questions - The blog that has REAL interview questions for firefighters, Engineers, Lieutenants, and Captains !

MembersZone Subscriber

just tried going to the website and it is shut down right now, anyone else having problems getting to there site?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rob2386b View Post
    Has anybody ever took a course through OpenFireAcademy.org? They offer some major classes and state you can get ProBoard/IFSAC certifications by completing their courses. I have never heard of them but wanted to see if anyone has any experiences with them. I know DOD lets you complete their CDC's online so I guess that is no different than what they are doing. Any comments is appreciated.

Thanks for your assistance!
    Open Fire Academy moved to a new site and more course enhance developers and instructors. google Open Fire Academy and it should show that the are Partners with Edvancementsolutions education. I checked it out they have the Fire Officer series I, II, III, and IV. Fire Instructor stuff. Fire Inspector I and II. Public Safety Telecommunicator I/II. Incident Safety Officer also Health and Safety Officer. When you get onto the main page you will have to click on (register for a course) this way you create an account to view the courses anytime you want.

Forum Member

Default Open Fire Academy

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    Wher are they located?

Depend on what course you take. They have everything covered on skills (JPRs) they make sure the entire course is by the NFPA Standards and Textbook. They have proctor/evaluators in place to get physical skills done if needed. But if you are enrolled in a program that just need to complete assignments and JPRs self-pace like fire officer, fire inspector, or fire officer. You don't drag hose, ladder or need live burns. The same for Telecomm I/II and Public Life Safety Educator I/II etc. Check the site out (openfireacademy.com) not org
    Last edited by firedawg27; 05-26-2011 at 02:35 AM.

Forum Member

Default openfireacademy.com

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterbeau View Post
    just tried going to the website and it is shut down right now, anyone else having problems getting to there site?

If you have ever taken a course online, that's what this is. It works to the advantage of the firefighter/fire officer. You don't have to travel, and you login when you have time. The disadvantage is you have to be discipline and get the homework done. It's worth it, Iíve taken courses through them and I like that I didn't have miss work, and when I had down town around the station or at home I would set aside time to go to school and not have to get dress or travel. I worked on as much as I wanted, I had 8 weeks to complete the course and it was good to me

Forum Member

FireDawg: What courses have you completed through them and who did you do your testing through?

Forum Member

http://www.edvancementsolutions.com/open-fire.php

That is the newest link to their site. They have upgraded and changed their system. I forgot to post the newest link/server.

Forum Member

It sounds never heard..it's unfamiliar to me..But i will take a look at it..

Forum Member

The skills are done by proctors and evaluators in place, so once the course that require the skills/ projects check offs. In some courses if you have someone in your department or region or state that can provided proof of that level or higher to check off skills. In a project base course the performace evaluation is checked off by a level of the same cert enrolled or higher and verified by the Fire Chief and sent to the instructor. In the 2 and 3 level courses there are projects that require ground work of doing the live work in that cert, to provide real world learning along with online classroom learning. All this is closely monitored to make sure all guidelines are followed. There are areas around the US that are set up for live fire and skills in partner with Open Fire Academy. All areas are covered. If you have any question go to the site send the Administration your question and they will answer it for you.

Forum Member

Default Skill Testing and Projects

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    Wher are they located?

The skills are done by proctors and evaluators in place, so once the course that require the skills/ projects check offs. In some courses if you have someone in your department or region or state that can provided proof of that level or higher to check off skills. In a project base course the performace evaluation is checked off by a level of the same cert enrolled or higher and verified by the Fire Chief and sent to the instructor. In the 2 and 3 level courses there are projects that require ground work of doing the live work in that cert, to provide real world learning along with online classroom learning. All this is closely monitored to make sure all guidelines are followed. There are areas around the US that are set up for live fire and skills in partner with Open Fire Academy. All areas are covered. If you have any question go to the site send the Administration your question and they will answer it for you.

Forum Member
    Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

This is starting to sound like an info-mercial.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

Thread Information