Forum Member

Question Donations and Grant Writing

Hello, im the 26 year old wife of a wildland firefighter/Volunteer Firefighter. I was recently asked to help with the asking of donations and the grant writing of for my Husbands Volunteer Dept.

The volunteer Dept will be puting me through Grant school in August but in the mean time I have been out in the community asking for donations of Water, sports drinks and other things that the Dept is in need of.

I have had little luck getting much of anything. Most stores and companies are cutting back on donations and some of the Large Corporations are only open to international requests....

My question is, if any of you have any suggestions/tips as to how to get more out of my community businesses. I have recieved some support but not what I was hoping for.

MembersZone Subscriber

Do you have a Walmart nearby? In the past, they have been very generous with both gift cards, cash donations and low cost merchandise.

Maybe the economy has effected that too, but it would be worth a try.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lump532 View Post
    Do you have a Walmart nearby? In the past, they have been very generous with both gift cards, cash donations and low cost merchandise.

Maybe the economy has effected that too, but it would be worth a try.
    Yes, I have a written request in with them. My problem seems to be the size of the county I live in. There is 1 walmart, 1 kmart and 5 Grocery stores in my little county. Those stores get hit up by all 5 of the Volunteer fire departments in the area. Everyone is "donated out". I'm thinking about going out of county but at $4 a gallon that's not too smart either. I want to
    make sure that I get something worth while for the Dept. I feel terrible about the cost of Grant Writing school.

I think I'm just going to write any and all companies willing to accept requests...I may need to allow more time to follow up with the companies I'm writing. A wise woman reminded me today that "the squeeky wheel gets the oil".

Forum Member

My department is having the same problem. The economy still isn't doing that great so it's tough for even the larger companies to donate. One thing we were able to do though for water and sports drinks was contact your local American Red Cross chapter. They weren't able to give us much, but every little bit helps out.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by SWAFPD2011 View Post
    I feel terrible about the cost of Grant Writing school.
    Don't write off the grant writing class so fast. I just finished Kurt's class and think it was well worth the cost.

If you can't afford to go, consider hosting a class, that's what we did. If you can get enough students they will come to you.

http://firstrespondergrants.com/page/hosting_a_class

Forum Member

Good news, I got my first 2 donations. One $25 gift card to Safeway and a whole palate of water (72 cases)! That was a good confidence booster. A grant just opened a few days ago I think I'm gonna go for. Our (my husbands) department needs new SCBA's so, I think I'm going to try my hand at grant writing. Wish me luck...thank you for the responses.

Forum Member

You're doing all the right things. Get some training; one good grant will make up for the cost instantly. The workshops are a very, very good investment.

Be persistent, both with donations locally and with grants. It's kind of like sales-- lots of NO but here and there a very big YES.

Keep going!
    I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

MembersZone Subscriber

Default grant ideas

dont limit your target population to those companies/businesses with facilities in your service area...also target the pass through businesses....oil/gas pipelines, power lines, airports, colleges, major highways, rail, etc.

look at neighboring counties - any business in those that creates a lot of pass through traffic ? you are supporting them without even knowing! hit them up!!!

Forum Member

Hi SWAFPD2011,
    I have read you are collecting donation for a good cause and wish you luck and success in your work. Glad to know that you have started getting donations.
    Keep updating us with your achievements.
    Last edited by Carlten; 06-25-2011 at 02:29 AM.

Forum Member

Thumbs up Donations and Grant Writing

Hi SWAFPD,
    Good luck for your great job and you are doing right.

Forum Member

Find an eagle scout who needss project and let him go

Contact local high school and see what students, clubs need a project

Churches are a very good source also

Forum Member

Exclamation Help needed / Donations

Good day,
    Im Stephen Eric P. Chua, a non-paid volunteer firefighter here in Metro Manila, Philippines. Our two volunteer groups namely " Dee hwa Liong Volunteer Fire Brigade" Quezon City, Philippines. with 20 personnels, and "Guardians Fire & Rescue Brotherhood International Inc." Valenzuela City, Philippines with 25 personnels, would like to appeal for your help regarding old, used, 2nd hand fire gears such as, fire helmets, hoods, turnout gears, gloves, SCBA Packs & masks and fire boots that are not any more in use at your departments and for disposal. May we request it as your donation to us here to be puit into good use in saving lives & properties here.
    We are hoping that our simple request for help will be granted and will go a long way in helping in firefighting here in Metro Manila, Philippines.

We hope to hear from you soon. keep safe & God bless you all.

Stephen Eric P. Chua
    Volunteer firefighter
    mustang70_501@yahoo.com

Forum Member

well, best of luck.. you are doing a great work SWAFPD , i know you have to face some problems in what you want to achieve, but keep trying..
    mummys gold bonus

Thread Information