Water Hammer

Default Station Open House

I am in the process for a local FD. We had interviews this week and will find out early next week if we move on to a second interview. Approx. 300 took written test and only 15% of people passed the written. They took 34 people to interviews. They have a public open house tomorrow. My question is this: since it is a public open house, do I just go in normal street clothes? ie(jeans and t-shirt)????? Or do i dress up since I haven't got an answer yet on whether I got to the point of second interview????? any help would be appreciated. thanks in advance.

Forum Member

Wouldn't go as far as a suit but I'd definitely wear a shirt and tie. You can always dress down (i.e. remove the tie) if you feel it is appropriate.

Forum Member

Suit and tie for sure...

If you do not own a suit, buy one...it is a small investment for what may be large payoff...

If you cannot afford to buy one, borrow one...

If you cannot borrow one, at least wear a nice pair of slacks and a dress shirt...

Forum Member

Then again a suit never looks bad...

Water Hammer

Don't you think I will look a little out of place in a suit and tie at a public open house?? just a question. I could see the slacks and dress shirt

Forum Member

Look at it this way...

Thirty-four people are invited to the open house.

Five probably wont show up.

Fifteen will show up in flip flops/sneakers, cargo shorts/jeans, and a t-shirt.

Seven might wear khakis and a polo.

Four will make an effort with nice slacks, a dress shirt and a tie.

Three will walk in looking professional, prepared and sharp, in a suit.

Which group do you want to be in?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Water-Hammer View Post
    Don't you think I will look a little out of place in a suit and tie at a public open house?? just a question. I could see the slacks and dress shirt
    Dont let the blue collar shirts and the power tools fool ya bub. This is a career for professionals. The majority of us may be a bunch of cowboys and grease monkeys, but when it comes down to it, we provide a vital public service to the members of our community.

Dont get me wrong, once youre on job, youll have plenty of time to stop by the station in your flip flops, backwards hat, and the classic "I fight what you fear!" shirt. Until that time comes though, you need to look as sharp as possible. With the exception of the written test or any physical test type stuff, you should be in a suit. Even for the written test, I wouldnt wear less than some nice slacks and polo/dress shirt.

I only say this because it wasnt that long ago that I was in your position. After three years and 15 hiring processes, I finally broke down and bought a nice suit. Six months and two chiefs interviews later, I had a conditional offer sitting in front of me. Im not saying it was the difference, but it definately was a factor. Not only does a suit make you look sharp and professional. But it shows that you take pride in yourself and your appearance. Not to mention, the better you look, the better you feel and the more confident you will be.

Water Hammer

Thanks for the insight wolverine. suit it is then.

MembersZone Subscriber

Wolverine hit a lot of points on the head there.
    Show up looking like you want to represent their department and it may help them decide that they want you representing their department. You are under a microscope when you show up to these things. Be the outgoing, pleasant person they want to work with. Help out if necessary. It's in our nature.

As for the suit, make sure it is not black (undertaker), or black with pinstripes (goomba). Dark blue is a good investment and will go far for most other occasions.

Good luck.

Forum Member

So what is or was your goal in attending?????

Water Hammer

Thanks for all the feedback. It went well. I don't know if anyone else in the process showed up. I was the only person walking around dressed up. It worked good though. All four of the AC's who were at the interview were in attendance. 3 of them came up to me and asked how I was and talked to me for awhile. Again, thanks much for all your input.

Thread Information