Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Volunteer to Paid

I might be relocating, does anyone know if it's possible to go from a volunteer department to a pad dept? New York State. Thanks.

Sure, it happens all the time.

But VFD experience isn't a free pass in - you'll have to go through the same process as a complete noob with zero fire experience.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

A lot of the guys in my area have done that. To be honest with you, thats kinda my plan. Get trained, spend some time getting hands on experiance, and start appling to all the departments around. Of course, I'll still volly as I live less than 5 min away from the department I'm training with.

Forum Member

happens all the time, but usually the two aren't connected. That is, a person with aspirations to be a paid firefighter often volunteers prior to gaining employment or someone starts as a volunteer then decides to try and make a career of it. In a lot of situations, they could care less if you are a volunteer. You won't get an edge or preference in hiring.

Nope. Not allowed. Federal law prohibits anyone who has ever volunteered for a fire department, ambulance, boy scouts, or soup kitchen from working as a career firefighter. It is completely unacceptable for you to do this. Clearly you need therapy.

Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire View Post
    Nope. Not allowed. Federal law prohibits anyone who has ever volunteered for a fire department, ambulance, boy scouts, or soup kitchen from working as a career firefighter. It is completely unacceptable for you to do this. Clearly you need therapy.

You forgot girl scout or little league....
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

OP, what did you expect the answer to be?
    Last edited by tajm611; 05-21-2011 at 09:44 PM.
    ‎"I was always taught..." Four words impacting fire service education in the most negative of ways. -Bill Carey

Quote Originally Posted by tree68 View Post
    You forgot girl scout or little league....
    Girl Scout volunteers are exempt since without them, we wouldn't have thin mint cookies.

MembersZone Subscriber

Are you meaning like a lateral transfer? If so then no you will still go through their hiring process like every other new person.

Forum Member

In NY the basic training requirements for career and volunteer firefighters are different, so unless you get yourself into the fire academy at Montour Falls or another career academy you won't have the minimum training to be a paid firefighter. That shouldn't matter because almost everyone is going to send you. However, already having the training could be useful if you are trying to work for a small department that doesn't hold their own academy or hires 1 or 2 people at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire View Post
    Girl Scout volunteers are exempt since without them, we wouldn't have thin mint cookies.

Have you tasted those in the past few years? The hell with any exemption, those things are terrible.

I doubt many places will allow a lateral transfer.

I am a volunteer on one department and got hired on as a paid firefighter at another department in the next county. No problems here as probably 60-70% of the paid guys are also volunteers somewhere else.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Hmmmm...........

Are you really sure you want to do that?? I did it many years ago, and I found I had a lot of problems....... Too much money, Lots of time off, Chicks throwing themselves at me, Movie Contracts........ I put up with it for 20 Years, then they started paying me not to work, now every day is a Kelly Day......
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Quote Originally Posted by LVFD301 View Post
    Have you tasted those in the past few years? The hell with any exemption, those things are terrible.
    I ate two boxes in two days a few months ago when someone at work was selling them for his daughter. I still find them to be delicious.

Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LVFD301 View Post
    Blasphemy! Best damn cookies I've ever had delivered to my door.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

Here in NYS you are going to have to score high on a civil service test 1st. In my area of the state the only thing you have to have is an EMT cert. Some require you to get a EMT-P within 3 years.
    Stephen J Bourassa
    Latham FD (NY)
    member since 1969
    challenge competitor since 1993

Quote Originally Posted by Fitguy51 View Post
    Here in NYS you are going to have to score high on a civil service test 1st. In my area of the state the only thing you have to have is an EMT cert. Some require you to get a EMT-P within 3 years.
    Took FF1 in NYS, the only difference is the duration. 3 days a week all summer or the bootcamp, 2 weekds. They both receive the same certification and are the same requirements. Are you saying that there is a different training for a paid firefighter?

Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar

By taking FF-1, you took the bare minimum training that you need. Yes, career members take Firefighter I as well, along with hundreds of hours of other training as well.

Example:
    When I first took FF-1 way back in 1993 - 100 hours.
    When I got hired in 2000 - 22 week academy (880 hours) - FF1, FF2, HazMat Ops, Vehicle Extrication, Rope Rescue 1, Confined Space Rescue, Structural Collapse Awareness, EVOC, and a host of other stuff that I can't remember now...

Keep in mind you're one of hundreds of people that hope to be a firefighter on a career department. Many of them could care less if you come to them with Firefighter 1 or Firefighter 10, or zero training at all. There's a long testing process to go through.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rice09 View Post
    Took FF1 in NYS, the only difference is the duration. 3 days a week all summer or the bootcamp, 2 weekds. They both receive the same certification and are the same requirements. Are you saying that there is a different training for a paid firefighter?
    correct. The training a paid firefighter has to take is spelled out in the executive law of the state. It is commonly called a "229", I don't know what the real name of it is. However, it is different than FF1 and FF2 (to the best of my knowledge). So while those classes are nice to have, they do not substitute for the training needed to be a municipal firefighter in NYS.

Quote Originally Posted by Rice09 View Post
    I might be relocating, does anyone know if it's possible to go from a volunteer department to a pad dept? New York State. Thanks.
    No, not in NYS. NY is a Civil Service state and you will have to take the test for the specific FD you may want to work for. You have to find out when the test is, then apply for it, take it, pass, then the road to being hired starts.

Volunteer experiance is utterly worthless to the Career FDs, they don't care, it doesn't help you get anywhere, even if you have the Basic FF course that montour falls gives. You would have to take it over again.

Also, do not expect to be hired by anyone for at least 3-5 years. With the current issue the Unions have with thier Cities, and the Cities with thier budget gaps....no one is hiring. I know we aren't even looking at a class until 3 summers from now....and who knows what list those guys are coming from.

You one option to use your Volunteer experiance is by applying for a Federal FF position at a VA facility.....but good luck with that....also, US Army bases usually hire temp summer guys to fight forest fires on the ranges.
    IACOJ Member

Thread Information