MembersZone Subscriber

Default Regional SCBA Grants

I just got this throwed in my lap. I could use some input from the grant gods!!!

There are 12 volunteer and 2 paid city departments within the county. We are planning some SCBA training. The discussion of 4 different manufactors, different configuration from same manufactor and 2 different pressure (2216 and 4500) came up. We have a strong automatic and mutual aid system where there may be 4 different departments and 5 or 6 different types of SCBA on location. The varios chiefs all said they would love to have compatability so every apparatus would have the same SCBA. We unofficially agreed on the specific SCBA we all would like to have. May have been the easiest deciosion we have ever made as a group.

I have a few questions.

1. Is a regional SCBA grant possible to get funded
    2. How would the number of SCBA be determined. Some departments have 2-3 stations with pumpers and tankers while others only have one. I know a pumper is allowed 4 but I am not sure about tankers, rescue and brush trucks. All of our tankers are first out automatic aid to neighboring departments on structure fire. There are times when an automatic aid tanker arrives 1st on scene and becomes the primary pumping apparatus.
    3. Are there any other ideas that I could add to this. I would like to add a full compressor system with fill station to be placed at our EOC center. This is a central area in the north end of the county where department could come and fill bottles

If anyone has a sucessful regional grant please send me some info

henleyfieldvfd@bellsouth.net

Thanks everyone.

By the way they wanted to know if I could get this submitted for this years AFG, no pressure!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Regional grants of wholesale replacement of SCBAs are not allowed.
    Last edited by k3twpfire; 05-21-2011 at 09:13 AM.

Forum Member

Talking

The good news is that no you can't do SCBA as a regional ,so your workload is going to be a little easier.
    The bad news is that your bosses don't have a clue on how much work it take to be successful at writing any good grant.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Volchief1 View Post
    I just got this throwed in my lap. I could use some input from the grant gods!!!

There are 12 volunteer and 2 paid city departments within the county. We are planning some SCBA training. The discussion of 4 different manufactors, different configuration from same manufactor and 2 different pressure (2216 and 4500) came up. We have a strong automatic and mutual aid system where there may be 4 different departments and 5 or 6 different types of SCBA on location. The varios chiefs all said they would love to have compatability so every apparatus would have the same SCBA. We unofficially agreed on the specific SCBA we all would like to have. May have been the easiest deciosion we have ever made as a group.

I have a few questions.

1. Is a regional SCBA grant possible to get funded
    2. How would the number of SCBA be determined. Some departments have 2-3 stations with pumpers and tankers while others only have one. I know a pumper is allowed 4 but I am not sure about tankers, rescue and brush trucks. All of our tankers are first out automatic aid to neighboring departments on structure fire. There are times when an automatic aid tanker arrives 1st on scene and becomes the primary pumping apparatus.
    3. Are there any other ideas that I could add to this. I would like to add a full compressor system with fill station to be placed at our EOC center. This is a central area in the north end of the county where department could come and fill bottles

If anyone has a sucessful regional grant please send me some info

henleyfieldvfd@bellsouth.net

Thanks everyone.

By the way they wanted to know if I could get this submitted for this years AFG, no pressure!!
    1) For 2011 one of the changes will allow departments to apply for SCBA and PPE as regional projects. Even though the PG is not out making it official (or someone attends a workshop to verify this) be prepared and get your ducks in a row.

2) The number of SCBA by AFG rules is based on the number seated positions (mimics NFPA 1901) on each piece of apparatus. For more than that you will have to justify it in the narrative. This revolves around NFPA 1901 which specifies the minimum needed on each type of apparatus as well. Ex. a pumper may have 2 seats, but the standard requires 4 SCBA.

3) The compressor/cascade system will not be allowed as part of the regional application. An individual department would have to apply for this type of equipment.

This will be alot of work to get completed prior to the opening of the grant cycle. You will have to have complete cooperation from each department or chief to provide the needed info otherwise it will not get done. Unfortunately, this process should have started last year. The other key thing is to have an MOA in place from each department so everyone knows what is expected of them for cost share etc.

Forum Member

And completely forget about "We unofficially agreed on the specific SCBA we all would like to have".

On the other hand, consider integrated FF locating system as part of the package. A regional common SCBA is where Paktracker (or other similar system if there are any) really has the possibility to perform for RIT operations. And can now get a Scott TIC that has Paktracker locater built into the TIC, a great idea to improve FF safety/locate downed FF.

Thread Information