MembersZone Subscriber

Default First Due Questions- Saturday's question

Going to go for an easy one today since the world is supposed to end at some point (hahahaha)

If you could change one thing and one thing only about your apparatus what would it be and why.

For example: I would change the location of our pump panel from "walk through" to side mounted. This way the Engineer/Pump Operator would be able to move around a little more fluidly and wouldn't need to be up and down all the time.

What would you change?

Click here to answer your question on First Due Questions:
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/First-...1841961?ref=ts

Forum Member

Add the coffin cases up top... You know the giant tool boxes on top of many newer rescues that run down each side. The new E-One eMax has them. They give you so much more space its insane. Great for tons of equipment you need but do not use daily. Tripod, Shores, tarps, extra cribbing, heavy rope hardware, haz-mat decon kit, on and on... Love those things

Forum Member

the one thing that I would change about my apparatus is the manpower. We need more people.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thing I would change is to replace it!!

Our oldest engine is 42 years old (1970)

skeeter6585....You don't like the top mount pump panels? We have two top mount enclosed pump panel trucks and we love them. The operator can see all the way around the truck, they are enclosed from the weather, noise, etc. and have a bird's eye view of things. To each his own I guess. Good luck!
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dickey View Post
    Thing I would change is to replace it!!

Our oldest engine is 42 years old (1970)

skeeter6585....You don't like the top mount pump panels? We have two top mount enclosed pump panel trucks and we love them. The operator can see all the way around the truck, they are enclosed from the weather, noise, etc. and have a bird's eye view of things. To each his own I guess. Good luck!
    I can see how being shielded from the weather would be a plus in the great white north, but my question is always, what else do you need to see? As a pump operator shouldnt you be minding your gauges and other duties? Im not a fan of the top mount because there are so many other things for the pump operator to be doing on the ground, its alot of up, down, up , down, up , down etc...

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by LeatherHed4Life View Post
    I can see how being shielded from the weather would be a plus in the great white north, but my question is always, what else do you need to see? As a pump operator shouldnt you be minding your gauges and other duties? Im not a fan of the top mount because there are so many other things for the pump operator to be doing on the ground, its alot of up, down, up , down, up , down etc...
    Once I've got the pump running, I'm rarely doing the up/down thing. I am keeping an eye on the rest of the fireground, the drop tank I'm drafting from, and just about everything else.

I don't have to worry about which side of the engine the fire building is on. I can see it no matter where it is (unless I'm pumping relay or filling tankers at a draft site).

If I'm filling tankers, I can see the tankers and the FFs on the ground making and breaking the connections, no matter where they are.

I'm also up, off the ground and away from the mud and ice.

Our pump panel isn't enclosed, so things to get a tad chilly if it's really cold and windy. On the other hand, I can jump in the cab for a couple of minutes and still see the pump panel (and the guages) out the back window (commercial cab) if things are otherwise stable.

I'll take that to having an eight foot high wall blocking my view of two thirds of the ops area.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Forum Member

enough engine power to pull out into traffic and accelerate, more storage space for tools, equipment, spare parts, and for deployment gear
    "If you can't be a good example, the you'll just have to be a terrible warning."

Forum Member

I would probably make it ours a little bit bigger and we have plenty of storage space so I guess make it bigger as in a 4 person rear cab. That won't happen anytime soon either since we just got this engine last year.

Thread Information