Forum Member

Great pieces of apparatus, except that I've noticed they require two operators: one to work the controls and a second to stand there and tell you how great they are.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by salvage View Post
    Great pieces of apparatus, except that I've noticed they require two operators: one to work the controls and a second to stand there and tell you how great they are.
    Nobody had to tell you that - they spoke for themselves!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    Wonderful that so many have been kept in working condition. They were a FINE machine,ahead of their time at the time. STILL will give a NEW rig a run for the money. T.C.
    There is a great story that goes with that Pawtucket RI Sedan-Cab unit (which is a 1937 by the way......)

Seems that back at that time, the Maxim salesman for that part of the country (which of course was smack dab in the middle of Maxim's backyard) was incensed that Pawtucket had purchased a Fox over his wares. He was also perturbed that Fox was also picking up sales all over his territory (again Maxim's very backyard.) Maxim salesman started spouting off about how his product was superior to the Fox, and how "those piston pumps weren't worth doo-doo."

So the Fox salesman (I forget his name....) bet the Maxim salesman $1000 bucks that the Pawtucket truck pictured above would pump a decent stream through ONE MILE of 2.5" hose.

They set it up one day, and folklore has it that the Fox was successful, and that the Fox salesman used the winnings to pay the Pawtucket firefighters for their time in laying out and re-packing all that hose.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

There's an Ahrens Fox, complete, with the "pressure dome," sitting in the maintenance bay of a friend's fire department here in Illinois. It pains him that it hasn't been restored and is super rough, but at least the political hacks haven't scrapped it or tried to pawn it off. It is where it belongs, and hopefully it ends up restored and back to its former glory. What a beautiful machine, I stood staring at for at least an hour one evening. I won't say where for fear someone will make the city fathers (who are in hate the fire department mode) a cash offer they can't refuse to take it off their hands...

Thanks for the pics Randy.
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Nice pictures!

You can see individual shots of all of the 'Foxes that were on hand by viewing these two links on the Youngstown Fire Forums.

Ahrens-Fox Apparatus 1930 - 1977

Pre-1930 Ahrens-Fox Apparatus

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    Buffalo with a PISTON or ROTARY gear pump? We have a 39 with a rotary gear, I'm not aware of a Buffalo with a piston,not that it isn't possible. T.C.
    Chief ...

I mistyped ... I meant to say a rotary pump.

I must have been half asleep ... or just my usual self .... who knows?
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Thread Information