Forum Member

Default Electric Shift Actuator

Our department has a 1979 Howe Grumman Aerial apparatus. I am currently in the process of overhauling the truck and have run into an issue with the electric shift unit. The shift arm has a pin located at the tip/end, which is supposed to seat in the pivot plate, which activates the pump. I have removed the actuator to gain access to the arm assembly and found (surprisingly) there was no damage to any of the parts. I did purchase a new shift arm and shift override spring from Waterous, in the anticipation that they would need replaced.

The issue comes in when the engine is started and or the truck moves. During this time, the shift arm and associated pin lose its seating with the pivot plate, thus forcing me to use the shift override option on the pump panel.

There is a larger pin located in the electric actuator (seen once removed), that is attached at the center, making it swing freely when detached from the pump assembly. This pin seats in the actuator lever, which is attached the the shift shaft. Is this pin supposed to move freely?

Any help on this is greatly appreciated, as we are planning to have the pump tested this year.

Thanks!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by KSFD380 View Post
    Our department has a 1979 Howe Grumman Aerial apparatus. I am currently in the process of overhauling the truck and have run into an issue with the electric shift unit. The shift arm has a pin located at the tip/end, which is supposed to seat in the pivot plate, which activates the pump. I have removed the actuator to gain access to the arm assembly and found (surprisingly) there was no damage to any of the parts. I did purchase a new shift arm and shift override spring from Waterous, in the anticipation that they would need replaced.

The issue comes in when the engine is started and or the truck moves. During this time, the shift arm and associated pin lose its seating with the pivot plate, thus forcing me to use the shift override option on the pump panel.

There is a larger pin located in the electric actuator (seen once removed), that is attached at the center, making it swing freely when detached from the pump assembly. This pin seats in the actuator lever, which is attached the the shift shaft. Is this pin supposed to move freely?

Any help on this is greatly appreciated, as we are planning to have the pump tested this year.

Thanks!
    I'm assuming (with respects to the first part of assume) that you have a CM or CS pump and a K series transmission. I'm studying what I think is the right print in my Waterous Mechanics' Seminar manual and I'm getting part of what you're saying but not a complete understanding of it. If you don't have this print, e-mail me at chiefengineer11@verizon.net with a fax number and I'll be happy to fax you that or anything else I have. Also, if you haven't done so, call Waterous Co.'s tech support folks at 651 450 5200. There's a bunch of real savvy people on the other end of your phone who are happy to answer just about any question you can throw at them.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by KSFD380 View Post

Thanks!
    Is your manual overide cable bound up and causing the pin to un-seat? As chiefengineer 11 suggests please call our techs at 651 450-5200 and we would be happy to try and help you troubleshoot your issue. That is what our service department is there for and they are happy when you use them. Best regards,

Thread Information