Forum Member

Default Custom Leather Helmet Front?

I am looking to get a new front for a restored Cairns 5A I have from Boston FD. It had the Boston Front on it and I think I want to put a new Boston Style front on it. I found some great fronts on captsteveshields.com but cannot contact him for an order. His email box is full and there is no number to call. Has anyone ever used him? Anyone know how to contact him? Anyone know of another good Boston Style front maker... I have seen paul conway, leatherfronts.com and a few others...

Forum Member

Sam Brown Shields, www.sambrownshields.com . Great quality work. Have used him for years.
    Am I being effective in my efforts or am I merely showing up in my fireman costume to watch a house burn down? (Joe Brown, www.justlookingbusy.wordpress.com)

Forum Member

Forum Member

Yea, I like the stella shields. They are nice. That captsteveshield is a good combo of tooled leather and hand paint. I may go with a stella

Forum Member

The Stella's are great, an easy second choice would be F&T Shields in Sterling MA. WWW.LEATHERFRONTS.COM

Forum Member

I like the F&T shields too. I wish I could get ahold of capt steves sheilds though. I'd like to give them a shot. Thanks for the suggestions though.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rmhinkle View Post
    Yea, I like the stella shields. They are nice. That captsteveshield is a good combo of tooled leather and hand paint. I may go with a stella
    I have not been able to get in touch with Steve for over a month. He told me my shield was almost done the first week of April and I sent him the money through Paypal. No word since then. No response to emails and no returned calls.

I am calling Paypal to file a claim tomorrow. If anyone knows him or what is going on I would appreciate it.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

silentguardianshields.blogspot.com

Forum Member

nothing like ressurecting an old thread using an advertisement.....
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    nothing like ressurecting an old thread using an advertisement.....
    That and the fact he does not even offer Boston style fronts on his website. Shows the intelligence level you are dealing with.

Forum Member

Better than starting a new one.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

STOP LOOKING!!! The best shields I have ever seen all come from a guy in KC, its Red House Shields... He is by far the best i have seen the only downfall is the waiting list. They are all done by hand. Check him out.

Forum Member

Purtle does good work. Anyone who doesn't have waiting list in the custom leather business either sucks or is new and not well known yet.

Personally Box Alarm Leather will get all of my business from here on out...if only he would start making the Cali style leather chinstraps.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BuckNaked View Post
    STOP LOOKING!!! The best shields I have ever seen all come from a guy in KC, its Red House Shields... He is by far the best i have seen the only downfall is the waiting list. They are all done by hand. Check him out.
    Did you even read what the thread starter asked for?

He said he wants a BOSTON STYLE shield. Red House shields does not show a single example of ever making one nor do they mention that style even being offered. Once again, a person who wants to push business to a company without even knowing what the company makes. Slow down and read the question before you jump in with a wrong answer.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by WD6956 View Post
    Did you even read what the thread starter asked for?

He said he wants a BOSTON STYLE shield. Red House shields does not show a single example of ever making one nor do they mention that style even being offered. Once again, a person who wants to push business to a company without even knowing what the company makes. Slow down and read the question before you jump in with a wrong answer.
    I am sure if someone called and asked Brian would be more than happy to make a Boston style shield. Chill out, not that big of a deal.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

MembersZone Subscriber

If I'm not mistaken, red house made one for a buddy of mine in the Boston style. I could be wrong but there are plenty of sheld makers capable of making shields outside of their forte'. Why so butthurt over a shield maker?
    ‎"I was always taught..." Four words impacting fire service education in the most negative of ways. -Bill Carey

Forum Member

Agree with you Taj. Although if you want a Red House you better get on the list by midnight. After that he is closing the waiting list, possibly for good.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    Agree with you Taj. Although if you want a Red House you better get on the list by midnight. After that he is closing the waiting list, possibly for good.
    Oh, they're beautiful. One of the few makers you can see the effort and skill put into work. Too gaudy for my taste but I would never say they aren't absolutely amazing.

I do wish I could have gotten the black knight though.
    ‎"I was always taught..." Four words impacting fire service education in the most negative of ways. -Bill Carey

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    I am sure if someone called and asked Brian would be more than happy to make a Boston style shield. Chill out, not that big of a deal.
    Maybe he would make one. But without ever having made one (or showing an example of one), why would you think he would make one better then the current Boston Shield makers who happen to be right here in Massachusetts?. If someone is looking for a replica shield that would be accurate for a resoration, why would you even want someone to make you a "better" design of something you want to look original? The reason you look elsewhere for any product is when the current manufacturer makes a product that is not that good. But Bob Stella and F&T are considered the best for Boston style shields.

It's just common sense. We have two very well respected and long established shield makers right here in Mass who specialize in these type of shields and have made HUNDREDS of them with a good deal of the Boston Firefighter using them as well. But two people in this thread have reccomended alternate sources, one is in Georgia and the other is in Missouri and neither company shows any examples of ever having made one nor do they list them as options. Do you see why it makes no sense?

I am going to go buy some authentic Mexican Salsa that is made in Vermont. By for now.

Forum Member

"Right here in Mass" -kinda sums it up there.
    ?

Forum Member

Maybe he would make one. But without ever having made one (or showing an example of one), why would you think he would make one better then the current Boston Shield makers who happen to be right here in Massachusetts?. If someone is looking for a replica shield that would be accurate for a resoration, why would you even want someone to make you a "better" design of something you want to look original? The reason you look elsewhere for any product is when the current manufacturer makes a product that is not that good. But Bob Stella and F&T are considered the best for Boston style shields.

It's just common sense. We have two very well respected and long established shield makers right here in Mass who specialize in these type of shields and have made HUNDREDS of them with a good deal of the Boston Firefighter using them as well. But two people in this thread have reccomended alternate sources, one is in Georgia and the other is in Missouri and neither company shows any examples of ever having made one nor do they list them as options. Do you see why it makes no sense?

I am going to go buy some authentic Mexican Salsa that is made in Vermont. By for now.
    So which one do you own stock in? You are way too high strung not to have a vested interest in this thing.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

Forum Member

Anybody old enough to remember the PACE salsa commercial? Since you brought up salsa - "that front was made in Kan-sis city ! ---GET A ROPE!!!
    ?

Forum Member

Neither. I don't use a Boston Style front and my front is department issue made by Cairns.

I'm not high strung at all. But i am on enough forums to know how annoying it is when you ask for advice on something and people chime in and post information without doing ANY research on what they are posting. While a good deal of my forum browsing on the forums i frequent is for entertainment, most is to hopefully learn new things and get information on products and thier uses. But one of the most annoying things i come across is people who love to jump into threads to give their two cents without even reading the the thread starters question. Or they only see certain words. Like in this instance. Two people see that someone wants a shield and they post links to companies who don't make the shield style in question.

I would rather not waste peoples time. Unless i know for certain a company makes a product, ill clearly state "TRY this company, they might offer what you need". Or "Others have said ______ makes what you are looking for".

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
    Anybody old enough to remember the PACE salsa commercial? Since you brought up salsa - "that front was made in Kan-sis city ! ---GET A ROPE!!!
    Yes! I remember. That was the reference i was making. Good catch.

Forum Member

try Midwest Fire fronts on facebook for examples. great shields at a great price.

Thread Information