Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default How to prepare for the stair climb challenge

I recently decided to register for the Scott Stair Climb Challenge in 2012. I'm hoping there is at least one person on here who has done this challenge and can give me some tips on how to prepare, but tips for anyone would be great. For anyone who doesn't know what the challenge is, it's a climb up 69 flights (1,311 stairs) to help raise money for The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. The climb must be done in full turnout gear and SCBA, breathing air. You get one bottle change if needed. I consider myself in fairly decent shape, but this is one hell of a challenge. Any help or points on this would be great. Thanks in advance.

MembersZone Subscriber

I did this in 2011, it is way harder than you think it is.
    Advice, run, walk, run, and walk more stairs, after awhile start adding weight, then gear, then gear and weight.
    I felt i was in good shape till I started to train, by the time i was done training i was in better shape but still not enough.
    Cardio is where its at, i was good till about the 61st floor and i hit a wall I was using every ounce of air i was taking in. I never was sore or got cramps just couldnt take in enough air.
    I'm looking foward to doing it again, start training NOW and that isnt soon enough.

I did it in 25min, not an impressive time comparred to some, but i finished it without stopping.
    I'd be happy to answer more specific questions if i'm able and you have them.

Thanks for the advice. I started my training today actually. Took a nice paced walk (about 2 miles to start). My plan is to switch walk/run/walk on and off, also plan on buying a stair stepper, and I'm going to try and use the stairs at a local parking garage as practice as well (comes out to about 17 flights). I've heard that the biggest thing I should focus on is cardio, but that I also want to work out my entire body and not just my lower half. Since you did the climb, besides being physically ready for this event, any tips on what I can do mentally to prepare myself?

MembersZone Subscriber

just keep training and stepping up the training.
    The event is very easy to get around, everybody seemed willing to help.
    Keep as calm as you can the day of the event, your nerves will waste energy.
    Parking is a PIA in down town Seattle, get a hotel close as you can to the event.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey Cim, Paul here.

Ryan, my advice is to climb stairs, and a few times a week. Run them, hike them with weight, building up to the weight you will have.

Start with turnout pants, then work up. The pants makes it tougher. The worst part for me is the heat, so make sure you do it a couple times with full gear so you know what you;re facing.

Might want to try asking a local commercial building if you can use the stairs. We have a 40-flight Bank Tower here in Portland they open up to firefighters in off hours for training.

Alright thanks for the help guys.

Forum Member

You should buy a weighted best of around 50+. If you train with weight on your body that exceeds your SCBA/Turnout weight you will feel lighter then when you trained.

Forum Member

I would say there are 3 things you can do. They are CLIMB, CLIMB, CLIMB. Train the muscles you are going to use in the event.
    Stephen J Bourassa
    Latham FD (NY)
    member since 1969
    challenge competitor since 1993

Thanks for all the pointers guys. So far the training is going along good. Actually in the process of getting a local gym to donate a free membership to help out a little more.
    "If it was easy, someone else would of done it already." - Lt. Ray McCormack FDNY

- Firefighter 1 / HAZMAT Ops / EMT-B

Thread Information