Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Forum Member

Fortunately Thibault hasn;t made a truck at all for years.......

The newest "reincarnation" of Thibault is Carl Thibault Fire Trucks......and THEY are using RK ladders for all their "new" trucks....

SO, regardless of what anyone thinks of the old T-bolt ladders....IF you see one...yet again, give a moment of silence to yet another well known apparatus maker that has gone by the wayside...

I personally was never a huge fan of any of their apparatus....but man, they sure did build alot of trucks....big and small, for F.T and Vollie, City or Town...I;m sure that a large precentage of Canadian Dept's owned one or more at some time..probably the same for alot of East Coast States too...

Oh Well......out with the old.......in with the..well.....old too, but still in production......lol

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    Given the CHOICE between a T-Bolt and a LTI, I'll take the LTI thank you. As far as RUST, if you keep the device for it's intended service life,you have little to worry about. New methods and products have cut the corrosion issues way down from yesteryear. T.C.
    Do you know what type of rust or anti- corrosion products other builders like, Smeal, Kme, Pierce, RK, Seagrave, use to coat the inside of there ladders ?

Quote Originally Posted by WoodbridgeFFII View Post
    Do you know what type of rust or anti- corrosion products other builders like, Smeal, Kme, Pierce, RK, Seagrave, use to coat the inside of there ladders ?
    I'd have to look back at my specs to see what Smeal used. Each MFG uses a different product but even back on our 68/94/95 Alf you didn't hear rust falling down the tubes. If you take some care of your equipment it should easily last the projected 15-20 years in MOST Depts, busy cities excepted. For the aluminum lovers out there, that material isn't exempt from issues either. T.C.

Forum Member

I'd have to look back at my specs to see what Smeal used. Each MFG uses a different product but even back on our 68/94/95 Alf you didn't hear rust falling down the tubes. If you take some care of your equipment it should easily last the projected 15-20 years in MOST Depts, busy cities excepted. For the aluminum lovers out there, that material isn't exempt from issues either. T.C.
    RK has galvanized ladders available as an option. Several years ago there was a lengthy discussion on the subject here. I recall that one of the posters was a person who challenged the process that RK used, then finally agreed that it was valid. I forget his code name, but he was pretty knowledgeable. Unfortunately, he got himself permanently barred from here for something unrelated to that discussion.

Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chiefengineer11 View Post
    I recall that one of the posters was a person who challenged the process that RK used, then finally agreed that it was valid. I forget his code name, but he was pretty knowledgeable. Unfortunately, he got himself permanently barred from here for something unrelated to that discussion.
    Good ol' SSIaerialmanTim...

I believe that there were actually two threads in which the topic was debated, this should be the latter of the two: The Difference Between a Tech and Salesman (The difference betwen a tech and salesmen).
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    Good ol' SSIaerialmanTim...

I believe that there were actually two threads in which the topic was debated, this should be the latter of the two: The Difference Between a Tech and Salesman (The difference betwen a tech and salesmen).
    That's the one.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefengineer11 View Post
    RK has galvanized ladders available as an option. Several years ago there was a lengthy discussion on the subject here. I recall that one of the posters was a person who challenged the process that RK used, then finally agreed that it was valid. I forget his code name, but he was pretty knowledgeable. Unfortunately, he got himself permanently barred from here for something unrelated to that discussion.
    That individual is VERY knowledgeable on Ladders and a friend. Still teaches aerial ops classes around the country last I knew. T.c.

That individual is VERY knowledgeable on Ladders and a friend. Still teaches aerial ops classes around the country last I knew. T.c.
    Is he contracted by Smeal to do aerial training? Perhaps I'll meet the man behind the screen name...
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Nope,you will Likely have a Retired Deputy Chief by the name of Frank who is a VERY good Aerial trainer and a hot ticket to boot. He even managed to impart some information into MY thick skull. I'm sure you'll find him entertaining and a good Instructor. Tell him we send our regards and we find new ways to use our weapon every time out. T.C.

Thread Information