Forum Member

Default American LaFrance's LTI Ladder Series Now Available to Industry OEMs

American LaFrance's LTI Ladder Series Now Available to Industry OEMs
    (5/19/2011)

SUMMERVILLE, SC – Fire Expo 2011 in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania will mark the beginning of a new distribution strategy for American LaFrance as the company will open sales of its LTI Ladders to select North American and international fire apparatus manufacturing partners.
    FULL PRESS RELEASE: http://www.americanlafrance.com/inte...p=4&s=22&a=195

Think it's a very good idea...there are some departments that love the LTI product, but not the ALF chasis.

Let's talk fire trucks!

Toyne has already agreed to this, as has the Virginia CustomFire dealer, Red Storm.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

MembersZone Subscriber

On a related note, I heard from a Rosy sales rep that RK aerials are now exclusive to Rosenbauer?

Forum Member

As far as a business decision would it be a good idea for Rosenbauer to stop selling their aerials to other manufactures? In the current US economy, I would think Rosenbauer would want to try and seel to anyone who would buy one. What other manufactures were using RK ladders? Granted it was listed as a rumor and I am feeding the fire.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RoaddoggAK View Post
    On a related note, I heard from a Rosy sales rep that RK aerials are now exclusive to Rosenbauer?
    I'm not at all sure that's correct. I understood that Rosie US had a disagreement with Toyne, and elected to discontinue providing them with ladders. Unless there's been a more recent change, Alexis, 4 Guys and whoever else will still have access to RK.

On the balance, I think that at least in the east, Toyne will come out the winner in this change. RK makes a good piece of equipment. I know, I spent a summer demo'ing one. But LTI also has a good product as well as bigger name recognition in this part of the country. They just need to keep a lid on their pricing.

Forum Member

Post LTI Pa, Plant

If LTI starts selling a large amount of there aerial products to other OEM's, do you think that they may have to increase the size of current Pa, plant. And also did'nt Crimson fire take over part of the LTI property. I did not see anything listed about selling there midmount platforms to other builders.
    Last edited by WoodbridgeFFII; 05-23-2011 at 07:17 PM.

Forum Member

Crimson is building aerials in the main LTI building. LTI has the much smaller building across from the Crimson building.

Forum Member

Since we need another 2-3 aerials within the next year or so, I'm thinking I like what Toyne did for the one they are building for us now. Which is the reason for alot of what is going on.
    That being said, I'd like to see a Spartan cab and chassis with either a Crimson or Toyne body with the LTl ladder on it.

Do note though. I have zero, nada, nothing for hands on, or experience with the LTl ladder. But it comes across, from many here, to be the best of the best for ladders. And I do trust what I see and read, when it is repeated, over and over.

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Forum Member

I have expierience flying original ALF straight stick, E-One sraight sticks and LTI straight stick, mid-mount and TDA. The LTI's were far superior to the others. Just my .02 cents. I know there are several others out there though and few have been copied er....reverse engineered from the LTI's. Hopefully this new venture will work out for everybody involved.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FIREMECH1 View Post
    But it comes across, from many here, to be the best of the best for ladders. And I do trust what I see and read, when it is repeated, over and over.

FM1
    LTI= "built like a brick schithouse."
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    LTI= "built like a brick schithouse."
    Yeah, so I've read and heard. But what makes it so special??? I'd really like to see one in person, go over it, as well as operate it, if possible.

I can trash a couple ladders, but this one, is like, well, a unicorn. Mythical by all accounts.

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FIREMECH1 View Post
    Yeah, so I've read and heard. But what makes it so special??? I'd really like to see one in person, go over it, as well as operate it, if possible.

I can trash a couple ladders, but this one, is like, well, a unicorn. Mythical by all accounts.

FM1
    In all of my years in the fire service one of many things I've noted: We all have at least one common trait. Someone comes up with something new, or not so new. All of the people (people we trust, mind you) who already have it say how great it is, how well it's worked for them, how well it's held up, etc., etc. So along comes the salesperson to sell it to us; what's the first thing out of our mouths? "Got one we can try out?"

I'll say this about LTI ladders from a non-truckie point of view. Would I want to try one out? Absolutely. They're well respected here in the east. They build a solid product. But let's don't be brewing a new flavor of Kool-Aid for them. They can hold their own end up.

Forum Member

My question is whether or not the current LTI aerials being built are of the same quality as when they were privately owned. I am not saying they are or are not and I have not used an LTI in quite sometime. But when you look at what Ms. Tilton did to ALF you can only imagine what else is going on.
    Last edited by sven73; 05-26-2011 at 09:53 AM. Reason: Spelling

MembersZone Subscriber

Not a bad ladder if you don't mind the sound of rust scale clattering down the inside of the base rails when elevating the ladder.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by donethat View Post
    Not a bad ladder if you don't mind the sound of rust scale clattering down the inside of the base rails when elevating the ladder.
    I'll take a broken, twisted, rusted out LTI main over a Thibault main any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    I'll take a broken, twisted, rusted out LTI main over a Thibault main any day of the week and twice on Sunday.
    Spent a few cold days high up on a mid-mount?

Forum Member

sure been thousands of Thibaults in service all over for many years.......damb good safety record as well........for what it's worth...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Lights FF View Post
    sure been thousands of Thibaults in service all over for many years.......damb good safety record as well........for what it's worth...
    The one I am intimately familiar with spent more time in the shop than anywhere else........As a matter of fact, in the same shop as the other Canadian Gift to the Fire Service I am familiar with- the Amertek crash trucks........(in fairness to the Thibault, the Amertrash's spent WAY more time in the shop.......)

Forum Member

LMAO.....what can ya do......

lemons in every "flavour" I guess.......

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Lights FF View Post
    LMAO.....what can ya do......

lemons in every "flavour" I guess.......

Given the CHOICE between a T-Bolt and a LTI, I'll take the LTI thank you. As far as RUST, if you keep the device for it's intended service life,you have little to worry about. New methods and products have cut the corrosion issues way down from yesteryear. T.C.

Forum Member

Fortunately Thibault hasn;t made a truck at all for years.......

The newest "reincarnation" of Thibault is Carl Thibault Fire Trucks......and THEY are using RK ladders for all their "new" trucks....

SO, regardless of what anyone thinks of the old T-bolt ladders....IF you see one...yet again, give a moment of silence to yet another well known apparatus maker that has gone by the wayside...

I personally was never a huge fan of any of their apparatus....but man, they sure did build alot of trucks....big and small, for F.T and Vollie, City or Town...I;m sure that a large precentage of Canadian Dept's owned one or more at some time..probably the same for alot of East Coast States too...

Oh Well......out with the old.......in with the..well.....old too, but still in production......lol

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    Given the CHOICE between a T-Bolt and a LTI, I'll take the LTI thank you. As far as RUST, if you keep the device for it's intended service life,you have little to worry about. New methods and products have cut the corrosion issues way down from yesteryear. T.C.
    Do you know what type of rust or anti- corrosion products other builders like, Smeal, Kme, Pierce, RK, Seagrave, use to coat the inside of there ladders ?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by WoodbridgeFFII View Post
    Do you know what type of rust or anti- corrosion products other builders like, Smeal, Kme, Pierce, RK, Seagrave, use to coat the inside of there ladders ?
    I'd have to look back at my specs to see what Smeal used. Each MFG uses a different product but even back on our 68/94/95 Alf you didn't hear rust falling down the tubes. If you take some care of your equipment it should easily last the projected 15-20 years in MOST Depts, busy cities excepted. For the aluminum lovers out there, that material isn't exempt from issues either. T.C.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I'd have to look back at my specs to see what Smeal used. Each MFG uses a different product but even back on our 68/94/95 Alf you didn't hear rust falling down the tubes. If you take some care of your equipment it should easily last the projected 15-20 years in MOST Depts, busy cities excepted. For the aluminum lovers out there, that material isn't exempt from issues either. T.C.
    RK has galvanized ladders available as an option. Several years ago there was a lengthy discussion on the subject here. I recall that one of the posters was a person who challenged the process that RK used, then finally agreed that it was valid. I forget his code name, but he was pretty knowledgeable. Unfortunately, he got himself permanently barred from here for something unrelated to that discussion.

Let's talk fire trucks!

Quote Originally Posted by chiefengineer11 View Post
    I recall that one of the posters was a person who challenged the process that RK used, then finally agreed that it was valid. I forget his code name, but he was pretty knowledgeable. Unfortunately, he got himself permanently barred from here for something unrelated to that discussion.
    Good ol' SSIaerialmanTim...

I believe that there were actually two threads in which the topic was debated, this should be the latter of the two: The Difference Between a Tech and Salesman (The difference betwen a tech and salesmen).
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Thread Information