Forum Member

Default Now that's a problem

Idaho City Eyes Upgrade for Hydrant System
    Ben Botkin - The Times-News, Twin Falls, Idaho

Posted: Tue, 05/24/2011 - 12:21am
    Updated: Tue, 05/24/2011 - 01:17am
    ..May 23--JEROME -- When a blaze breaks out in a city residence, responding firefighters look for the nearest hydrant -- usually within 150 feet of the burning building.

In Jerome, that ideal 150-foot maximum distance is the norm through much of the city. But in some older parts of town are small pockets where fire hydrants are farther away and more hydrants are needed in the long term, city officials say.

In those areas, firefighters need to lay an additional 100 feet of hose to reach a blaze. That adds about another minute of response time to a fire. And that doesn't account for potential obstructions, like parked vehicles, that firefighters have to contend with when rolling out their line.

"I call them substandard because if we don't have something within 150 feet of all locations, then we've got a problem," said Jerome Fire Chief Mike Hatfield.

Does anyone else have hydrant spacing like this? If this is considered your "problem" then IMO, you don't have problems!

Jerome, Idaho population- 5,000 Hydrant 'population'- 10,000

Maybe there is some misquotes in the story. ?

Let's talk fire trucks!

150'?! Good god almighty. I've heard a lot of places with 300', but this is a new one on me.

How many fires is a town of 5000 having, I wonder?

And how does it take an additional minute to drop an extra 100' of supply line on the ground? How slow is that pumper driving?
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

This is probably just another case of a journalist not getting enough information to be accurate.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    --General James Mattis, USMC

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF View Post
    This is probably just another case of a journalist not getting enough information to be accurate.
    Or enough information, but far too little understanding.

A search for "Jerome, ID hydrants" provides pages of links to different news sources, all with exactly the same copy.

However, one link, to an undated document regarding a new subdivision, clearly lists the desired hydrant spacing at 500 feet, with no more than 250 feet from any point on the curb to the nearest hydrant.

This quote from the news story,
    In these older parts of the city, fire standards and international code have changed from when the hydrants were built decades ago, with 250 feet of separation rather than 150 considered the standard back then.
    together with the above linked document, leads me to believe that what they really want is 300 foot spacing, vs 500 feet, which would mean only 150 feet to the nearest hydrant, instead of 250 feet.

But it sure doesn't read that way.

As an aside, I recall seeing a picture/story in a fire service magazine some years ago on a community that had hydrants every fifty feet in their downtown area.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Forum Member

As someone who, in 11 years, has never used a hydrant for a fire, I find this to be ridiculous. They're freaking out over hydrants spaced 500ft apart in one small part of town so they have to lay in a whole 250 feet??? WTF. A lot of places would call that a luxury. If it takes them another minute or more to lay an additional 100ft of 3/4/5" line, then I think they need to work on their skills.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire View Post
    If it takes them another minute or more to lay an additional 100ft of 3/4/5" line, then I think they need to work on their skills.
    That's why we carry 1000' of five inch LDH - isn't the conventional wisdom "never pass a hydrant?" Even if it turns out there's one just in front of, or past the fire building, I know I've got water.

While I drive slowly enough to put the hose on the ground safely, adding 100' to my lay isn't going to take me a minute. In fact, at 10 mph, I can lay the entire 1000' in less than one minute.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Forum Member

wow! I can't believe it..man!

Thread Information